OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU...

Joe Schad is reporting it is essentially a "de-facto" Death Penalty. That the sancations will make Penn St fans wish they had just got a 1 or 2 year ban

I actually had that discussion with a PSU alumni coworker of mine (who has not drank the kool aid and has generally been pretty reasonable for someone on the inside, he has lost some casual friends over his views of Paterno since all this came out). He ultimately came to agree with me that the only thing that matters is what outsiders think of PSU and that PSU could look like a hero if they voluntarily shut down the program for a year in 2013, reduced scholarships, donated a huge percentage of football income this season, instituted a 3 year post-season ban and publicly came out and trashed the hero worship of Paterno. If they did that themselves then the media backlash would end almost immediately and PSU would be praised for finally "getting it."

Their fans and alumni would explode, but then the administration could point to that as the problem and the media would eat it up. They should have done this the second the Freeh report came out. The narrative for the last week would have been completely different if they did.

Their fans and alumni would explode, but then the administration could point to that as the problem and the media would eat it up. They should have done this the second the Freeh report came out. The narrative for the last week would have been completely different if they did.
They would be walking a fine line, however. It's the fans and alumni that support the program in the first place. You can't risk losing them permanently. I do agree with you regarding the last week's narrative.

They would be walking a fine line, however. It's the fans and alumni that support the program in the first place. You can't risk losing them permanently. I do agree with you regarding the last week's narrative.

Explosions end quickly though. They would explode, let out their anger and then get over it. The ones who wouldn't get over it likely were problem that PSU needed to be purged anyway. But you are right, their students rioted over the pre-negotiated removal of a figurehead football coach, God knows what they would do over that.

Question...if PSU gets hit with NO TV games. Meaning next years SU-PSU at the Meadowlands won't go out over the air, does a) SU pull out of that series? b) Do they work out a deal with PSU and postpone that game to years down the road and look for a replacement opponent for next year? Or c) do they play it and if you want to see it you have to go to it? (Which I think option "C" is something SU can't do)

I'm sure part of the meadownlands deal is the sponser gets a cut of the TV rights. If the game can't be broadcast that's either force majeure or an out right breach. Either way PSU could be dumped.

I'm sure part of the meadownlands deal is the sponser gets a cut of the TV rights. If the game can't be broadcast that's either force majeure or an out right breach. Either way PSU could be dumped.

They could just digitally block out all of the PSU players.

The more sportswriters talk about penalties on twitter the more I'm convinced it's just multiple year bowl bans and scholarships lost. Maybe some cash but as discussed that means nothing.

I dunno. To me, 'unprecedented' means worse than what happened to SMU. That's pretty bad. After all, Ped State wasn't exactly dealing from a position of strength here. Wonder if O'Brien will stick around...

We're talking the NCAA here. Don't count on it being worse than SMU.

"This is completely different than an impermissible benefits scandal like (what) happened at SMU, or anything else we've dealt with. This is as systemic a cultural problem as it is a football problem. There have been people that said this wasn't a football scandal," Emmert told PBS. "Well, it was more than a football scandal, much more than a football scandal. It was that but much more. And we'll have to figure out exactly what the right penalties are. I don't know that past precedent makes particularly good sense in this case, because it's really an unprecedented problem."

The only way it could be worse than the death penalty is if for 5 years they took away over 50% of schollies, PSU lost all TV money, banned from postseason. Still not sure if death penalty would be worse than that but 20 mil per year from TV is significant.

my guess:

4 year TV ban
4 year bowl ban
4 year reduction in scholarships (say around 10-15)

loss of NCAA / B10 Conference money for 2012 season

The more sportswriters talk about penalties on twitter the more I'm convinced it's just multiple year bowl bans and scholarships lost. Maybe some cash but as discussed that means nothing.

Bingo, hate to say it but myself, Townie and a few others I think OrangePA were saying the same thing last week. The NCAA was never going to hand down the death penalty in this case, people talking 5 year program bans were living in a dream world.

That former chair is pretty ignorant to think PedSt never had a competitive advantage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bingo, hate to say it but myself, Townie and a few others I think OrangePA were saying the same thing last week. The NCAA was never going to hand down the death penalty in this case, people talking 5 year program bans were living in a dream world.

Let's see what it is because some are saying and PedSt fans are fearing, it could be worse.

Let's see what it is because some are saying and PedSt fans are fearing, it could be worse.

I know it would wreak havoc with much more than Penn St, but I would love part of an "unprecedented" punishment be that they can't play any home games for 5 years or more.

"This is completely different than an impermissible benefits scandal like (what) happened at SMU, or anything else we've dealt with. This is as systemic a cultural problem as it is a football problem. There have been people that said this wasn't a football scandal," Emmert told PBS. "Well, it was more than a football scandal, much more than a football scandal. It was that but much more. And we'll have to figure out exactly what the right penalties are. I don't know that past precedent makes particularly good sense in this case, because it's really an unprecedented problem."
Right on.

Word is leaking out. Now the Dude of WV and his pals are reporting information known only to "insiders" that indicates it IS the death penalty PLUS. What is the plus? None other than being kicked out of the B1G. Matter of fact the vote will take place tonight. WVU insiders have now confirmed that the B1G has spoken to threee schools about taking PSU's place. They are: Georgia Tech, Virginia and....Notre Dame.

My source is Twitter. From this guy: https://twitter.com/thedudeofwv

Yes, I am writing this tongue-in-cheek.

Likely of particular interest to the NCAA were the report's conclusions that the school had "decentralized and uneven" oversight of compliance issues - laws, regulations, policies and procedures. Certain departments monitored their own compliance issues with very limited resources," the (Freeh) report found. Ensuring compliance with the federal Clery Act, which requires the reporting of crimes, was handled by someone with "minimal time." (AP)

I would think part of the "corrective" aspect of the penalties would be a more organized and committed compliance department, paid for by PSU but under the direct control of the NCAA. An in-house snitch, as it were.

Word is leaking out. Now the Dude of WV and his pals are reporting information known only to "insiders" that indicates it IS the death penalty PLUS. What is the plus? None other than being kicked out of the B1G. Matter of fact the vote will take place tonight. WVU insiders have now confirmed that the B1G has spoken to threee schools about taking PSU's place. They are: Georgia Tech, Virginia and....Notre Dame.

My source is Twitter. From this guy: https://twitter.com/thedudeofwv

Yes, I am writing this tongue-in-cheek.
And the source is the guy who runs Sadie Hawkins Day.

Now there's rumor that the sanctions won't be any worse than USC got. "Unprecendented" must mean something totally different to the NCAA.

Now there's rumor that the sanctions won't be any worse than USC got. "Unprecendented" must mean something totally different to the NCAA.

sounds like the NCAA was brash and full of bluster ... then when called out they backed down

sounds like the NCAA was brash and full of bluster ... then when called out they backed down

Here's the problem the NCAA has. If they go candy ass and doesn't give them death penalty like sanctions and then a comprehensive and honest investigation is done by the Pa AG, the NCAA could look stupid. This thing could go much further with more people involved with the cover up and maybe more.

From a Penn Live article:

• $161.5 million: Estimated annual economic impact of Penn State football for Pennsylvania economy
That's why there won't be a death penalty. Everyone (PSU, Big 10, NCAA included) is making too much money.

Unprecedented will turn out to mean a slap on the wrist.

My sources tell me that part of the sanctions is they have to make rrlbees a moderator on all the Penn State message boards to try to clean things up a little bit!