OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/pe...e/index.html?hpt=hp_t1&sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Penn State University will face "significant, unprecedented penalties" from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but it will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the football team from playing in the fall, a source familiar with the case tells CNN.
But the source says the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties the source wouldn't specify.
"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."

We can only hope that this is true.

Here's the problem the NCAA has. If they go candy ass and doesn't give them death penalty like sanctions and then a comprehensive and honest investigation is done by the Pa AG, the NCAA could look stupid. This thing could go much further with more people involved with the cover up and maybe more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Agreed- The real problem the NCAA has is that PSU could also be the tipping point that puts the NCAA on trial. They have a host of their own problems and lawsuits over their maintenance of the term amateur status, which has created a windfall for the ncaa at the expense of several other entities. If the ncaa does not try to protect the concept amateur status- and surely a lack of institutional control is a direct attack on that issue- they become more clearly exposed as a cartel.

In short, i think you can argue the ncaa has a serious incentive in this case to inflict harsh penalties to maintain their own existence.

So does the Big10 keep PSU in the conference if the athletic programs are severely crippled/shut down by sanctions? SMU has never really recovered. Does the expansion merry-go-round start up again?

SMU never recovered because they never had the power structure behind them that PSU does. SMU was a second fiddle program vs Texas and some of the other Texas schools. The few big boosters they had (who were super wealthy) and the coaching staff decided that they were going to go balls out and try to compete with Texas. So they started paying players and stealing big time recruits. They looked like a power player for a few years, but it was always just a house of cards. Once they were outed, and the program shut down, the boosters and support network disappeared. When that happened, SMU went back to being what it was prior to the improprieties, an insignificant program among the other Lonestar schools. SMU also lost out when the BIG 12 was formed.

PSU would not disappear like SMU. The roots run too deep. They will always have rich and powerful alums to help make them relevant again. And they will have the B1G $$$ and exposure. A totally different set of circumstances.

BREAKING: ESPN reports that as part of the punitive aspect of the NCAA's sanctions, Penn State will be required to appoint Greg Robinson as head coach for a minimum of 5 years.

Not even PennSDt
BREAKING: ESPN reports that as part of the punitive aspect of the NCAA's sanctions, Penn State will be required to appoint Greg Robinson as head coach for a minimum of 5 years.
ate deserves that much hell. The mere mention of that guy makes me nauseous.;)

SMU never recovered because they never had the power structure behind them that PSU does. SMU was a second fiddle program vs Texas and some of the other Texas schools. The few big boosters they had (who were super wealthy) and the coaching staff decided that they were going to go balls out and try to compete with Texas. So they started paying players and stealing big time recruits. They looked like a power player for a few years, but it was always just a house of cards. Once they were outed, and the program shut down, the boosters and support network disappeared. When that happened, SMU went back to being what it was prior to the improprieties, an insignificant program among the other Lonestar schools. SMU also lost out when the BIG 12 was formed.

PSU would not disappear like SMU. The roots run too deep. They will always have rich and powerful alums to help make them relevant again. And they will have the B1G $$$ and exposure. A totally different set of circumstances.

It was more musing on my part with the discussion of the death penalty possibly being invoked for PSU. The full death penalty was never given SMU but the sanctions given were "effective". And no recruits wanted anything to do with SMU and what it stood for long after 1987.

Also this isn't just about underhanded deals with money, selling memorabilia, cheating on exams, etc. It's about a school who felt their football program and reputation were more important than protecting childrens lives. It can't get more slimy than that.

Editor's note: This story appeared on the front page of The Dallas Morning News on Feb. 26, 1987
The Southern Methodist University football program, the most punished in NCAA history, received the harshest sanctions ever – including suspension for the 1987 season – when the NCAA announced its precedent-setting decision Wednesday.

Citing penalties intended to "eliminate a program that was built on a legacy of wrongdoing, deceit and rule violations," the NCAA Committee on Infractions for the first time barred a school from playing football for an entire season. The committee stopped short of delivering the full "death penalty," under which a program can be disbanded for as long as two seasons if found guilty of major violations twice in five years.

In addition to a ban on games, practice and scholarships for the 1987-88 academic year, the National Collegiate Athletic Association restricted SMU to seven games in 1988 – none of which may be considered a "home" game – and limited its scholarships, coaching positions and television and post-season appearances through the length of the probation, which expires Sept. 1, 1990.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/pe...e/index.html?hpt=hp_t1&sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

Penn State University will face "significant, unprecedented penalties" from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but it will not face the so-called "death penalty" that would have prevented the football team from playing in the fall, a source familiar with the case tells CNN.
But the source says the school might have preferred a one-year suspension because of the severity of the scholarship losses, postseason sanctions and other penalties the source wouldn't specify.
"If I were Penn State or any other school and were given both options, I'd pick the death penalty," the source said, adding the range of sanctions "is well beyond what has been done in the past" and "far worse than closing the program for a year."

We can only hope that this is true.

Closing the program does nothing to PSU, in reality. As I stated in my other post, they have network in place to bring it back rather quickly, with some big time donors ready to stop the bleeding in a hurry. They could be back and competitive within 5 years of a one year shutdown, maybe sooner if they were able to keep some players around for that year.

Losing schollies, bowl games, and revenue over a much longer span hurts them more, IMHO. The Death Penalty could crush a private program like a Pittsburgh, but not PSU. I think the NCAA understands that this is about more than just the football team. This is about the culture, and the culture needs to be pruned and re-shaped over a series of seasons/years. Losing scholarships, bowl appearances, recruiting visits, and drasitcally curbing traditional $$$ streams (ie big alumni boosters, TV revenue, etc) over a 5 year period (or more) would go much further to impacting the culture.

I have to think the NCAA has too much riding on this decision to take it too lightly. The last thing they want is to come out looking like a laughing stock. PSU is in deep doo doo, IMHO.

It was more musing on my part with the discussion of the death penalty possibly being invoked for PSU. The full death penalty was never given SMU but the sanctions given were "effective". And no recruits wanted anything to do with SMU and what it stood for long after 1987. Personally I think that after the sanctions are handed down to PSU there will be recruits that will not even consider them.

Editor's note: This story appeared on the front page of The Dallas Morning News on Feb. 26, 1987
The Southern Methodist University football program, the most punished in NCAA history, received the harshest sanctions ever – including suspension for the 1987 season – when the NCAA announced its precedent-setting decision Wednesday.

Citing penalties intended to "eliminate a program that was built on a legacy of wrongdoing, deceit and rule violations," the NCAA Committee on Infractions for the first time barred a school from playing football for an entire season. The committee stopped short of delivering the full "death penalty," under which a program can be disbanded for as long as two seasons if found guilty of major violations twice in five years.

In addition to a ban on games, practice and scholarships for the 1987-88 academic year, the National Collegiate Athletic Association restricted SMU to seven games in 1988 – none of which may be considered a "home" game – and limited its scholarships, coaching positions and television and post-season appearances through the length of the probation, which expires Sept. 1, 1990.

I would not be surprised to see a few of these items on the list of PSU punishments. They may be barred from scheduling OOC games but keeping league games intact as not to punish the other B1G schools. So maybe an 8 game schedule? With only 4 home games?

That is the death penalty

reduction in ships, staff, no tv or bowls i believe that three years is going to what they recieve

3 year bowl ban
50 scholies over 5 years
TV limitations
Current players xfer with no penalty

3 year bowl ban
50 scholies over 5 years
TV limitations

Is that from a source or your prediction?

3 year bowl ban
50 scholies over 5 years
TV limitations

If this is true, my guess is that very few players actually leave. But, you'll probably see some of their commitments re-open their recruitment.

3 year bowl ban
50 scholies over 5 years
TV limitations

That is roughly comparable to what USC got, and the Trojans have smoothly, and quickly, worked their way past the problem.

limiting big time boosters for a period of 5 yrs would be a start, and after that details on all big donations for another period of 10 yrs. They should have a 5 yr bowl ban, no tv for 3 yrs.

The horror

Robinson is a better man than Paterno.

These Penn St fans are despicable. Keep standing by your twisted program. It's like a religious cult in Texas.

Here's the penalty formula:

(Full suspension for as many years as Sandusky abused these kids) X (# of people who turned their heads within the hierarchy of the Athletics Dept)

This program deserves to collapse.

Anyone else expecting a big letdown at 9 am tomorrow?

The PSU source says it 'worse than the death penalty'?

What else should he say? ' This NCAA penalty that hasn't been announced yet will be a walk in the park'? IMO he knows not to the probably-not-as-bad-as-it-could-be penalty that they will be receiving.

When was the last time the NCAA handed down a penalty that met expectations, or was deemed too harsh? Now they've upped the ante with all of this talk of 'unprecedented' penalties.

I'm prepared for a major letdown.

There is a culture of PSU football that will not go away without the death penalty, there is no way around it. This was cultural and institutional in every sense, and that culture exists today, and will still exist after 9 am tomorrow.

So what, probably no TV, not bowls, big cut in scholarships for a few years. OK, it will hurt, but it won't stop beaver stadium from selling out. It won't keep big recruits away in all likelihood.

Just look at IU bball, and USC fball. Major sanctions just mean it's time for the fans, recruits, and the school to circle the wagons and adopt an us against the world mentality.

IU sanctions ended what, a year ago, or maybe 2. Next season they will start ranked in the top 4, and regarded as a NC favorite. This after selling out every game for the last 4 years.

USC was still under major sanctions last year, and it's clear how much they were hurt. They went from being ranked #1 all the way down to being ranked #4. Oh yeah, they're probably also a NC favorite this year as well.

Should PSU get the death penalty? I don't know, but all this talk of' unprecedented' and 'prefer the death penalty' just makes me laugh.

You know how a PSU source would act if the hammer really came down? 'No comment', or 'I'm too faced from drinking in my own sorrow to comment at this time'.

Maybe the NCAA will surprise us all for the first time in 25 years tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone else expecting a big letdown at 9 am tomorrow?

The PSU source says it 'worse than the death penalty'?

What else should he say? ' This NCAA penalty that hasn't been announced yet will be a walk in the park'? IMO he knows not to the probably-not-as-bad-as-it-could-be penalty that they will be receiving.

When was the last time the NCAA handed down a penalty that met expectations, or was deemed too harsh? Now they've upped the ante with all of this talk of 'unprecedented' penalties.

I'm prepared for a major letdown.

There is a culture of PSU football that will not go away without the death penalty, there is no way around it. This was cultural and institutional in every sense, and that culture exists today, and will still exist after 9 am tomorrow.

So what, probably no TV, not bowls, big cut in scholarships for a few years. OK, it will hurt, but it won't stop beaver stadium from selling out. It won't keep big recruits away in all likelihood.

Just look at IU bball, and USC fball. Major sanctions just mean it's time for the fans, recruits, and the school to circle the wagons and adopt an us against the world mentality.

IU sanctions ended what, a year ago, or maybe 2. Next season they will start ranked in the top 4, and regarded as a NC favorite. This after selling out every game for the last 4 years.

USC was still under major sanctions last year, and it's clear how much they were hurt. They went from being ranked #1 all the way down to being ranked #4. Oh yeah, they're probably also a NC favorite this year as well.

Should PSU get the death penalty? I don't know, but all this talk of' unprecedented' and 'prefer the death penalty' just makes me laugh.

You know how a PSU source would act if the hammer really came down? 'No comment', or 'I'm too faced from drinking in my own sorrow to comment at this time'.

Maybe the NCAA will surprise us all for the first time in 25 years tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.
The way I read it, it is an NCAA source, not PSU.

"CBS News has learned that the NCAA will announce what a high-ranking association source called "unprecedented" penalties against both the Penn State University football team and the school."