OT..very sad about Joe Paterno's | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT..very sad about Joe Paterno's

A few things.

First, I am not apologizing for anybody. I am responding to hateful posts that rely upon supposition rather than fact in the context of an old man who is apparently on his death bed.

Second, the notion that Joe Paterno had a friendship with Sandusky is false. It's well known that they had no personal relationship and did not associate him at all.

Third, the notion suggested by your post that Paterno upon hearing from the assistant coach should have gone over to Sandusky's home and taken matters into his own hands is nothing short of silly.

Fourth, I hope you're right about one thing. That I choose to rely upon fact - and not speculation - and that I choose to feel empathy for a man who I rooted against for many years, but who led a very admirable life and who is probably about to die, hopefully does say something about me.

Everyone wants to defend his lack of action in that singular instance. But what about the investigation in 92, 94 and 98 including a 130 page police report about Sandusky showering with kids in PATERNO's locker room (where mysteriously charges were never brought) in 98 and Sandusky at the height of his career retires. Then, after that he still brought 10 year old boys to PATERNO's practices, he still brought kids into PATERNO's locker room and he still raped kids in PATERNO's locker room.

I feel bad for Paterno the person on his imminent death. I would never want to wish a person was dead. But as to Paterno the football coach, legend and PSU icon, he can rot in hell for turning a blind eye to what went on for 3 decades and allowing so many kids to have their childhood taken away. After Sandusky, Paterno is the 2nd most guilty.

I hope he does RIP when he goes.

However I agree with a lot of the posters. He dropped the ball big time. Big time. I dont buy the excuse that he didnt know or was naive or whatever. He should have acted. He didnt and a lot of kids suffered in a way that I would never want to know. He deserved what happened to him as far as coaching goes.

If someone came to you and said they saw a former employee at your office having sex with a young boy, you would call your boss rather than calling the police? You have got to be kidding me!

First, McQueary by his own admission, was intentionally vague when he met with Paterno the following day.

Second, I'm 53 years old - I grew up in a very different time than Joe Paterno and was exposed to and educated about very different things than men like him and my dad - also 84 years of age - were when they were younger.

Third, I work for myself and have done so for over twenty years - I don't report to anybody.

Fourth, when I did work for somebody it was the District Attorney of Philadelphia - I would have been a member of law enforcement.

Fifth, I have been around enough to know that people give me information all the time that is either inaccurate or misintepreted or in some other way misleading. I try very hard to get verification when I am given provocative information about a person - I try not to jump to conclusions or to take precipitous action.

Sixth, if I had been in Paterno's shoes that morning I am not sure what I would have done. I can't say that I would have immediately called the police. Maybe I would have, but I can't say for sure. For those of you who feel that under the circumstances you would have immediately gone to the police - well good for you - you have great hypothetical courage and foresight.

I feel bad for Paterno the person on his imminent death. I would never want to wish a person was dead. But as to Paterno the football coach, legend and PSU icon, he can rot in hell for turning a blind eye to what went on for 3 decades and allowing so many kids to have their childhood taken away. After Sandusky, Paterno is the 2nd most guilty.

THANK YOU! Someone gets it!

Everyone wants to defend his lack of action in that singular instance. But what about the investigation in 92, 94 and 98 including a 130 page police report about Sandusky showering with kids in PATERNO's locker room (where mysteriously charges were never brought) in 98 and Sandusky at the height of his career retires. Then, after that he still brought 10 year old boys to PATERNO's practices, he still brought kids into PATERNO's locker room and he still raped kids in PATERNO's locker room.

Bees - If he knew in 1998 or 1992 0r 1994 and kept the guy around, I agree with you.

But, I know a lot of Penn State people where I live and nobody knew about this stuff - they all revered Sandusky. I have a very good friend who played at PSU in the late 197os. Sandusky was his coach. He loved Sandusky and hated Paterno. I cannot find one person who had an inkling of any of this stuff until it was announced that a grand jury had been convened.

So, it may be that Paterno did not know. I strongly suspect that he didn't. But if he did ...

I think it's important not to confuse "sports hatred" for normal, everyday, human hatred. I have "hated" Paterno and Penn State since that October day in 1969 when the Orange took a 14-0 lead into the fourth quarter against the undefeated Lions and lost the game 15-14 when the referees gave PSU two or three chances to get the 2-point conversion at the end of the game.

That moment in the third quarter in 1987 when the Orange led Paterno's team 41-0 remains my best SU Football moment for the 44 years I have been watching.

I hope the hatred that we see on this board for Paterno is not the product of sports hatred.

Regret
poor health. Whatever you think about his role in the penn state issue, it is still very sad to see someone of his stature go downhill so quickly.
Regrettably it was predictable. At the time I said he wouldn't last a year past his firing.He was to frail to sustain the issue and cancer. Joe's failure in the Sandusky mess may well define the man when he passes. He allowed a pedophile to continue his heinous acts so don't look to me for a pass on his reputation. Joe had the power to cut Sandusky's head off and didn't even flinch at some kind of action.Sorry no sympathy here.:mad:

I hope the hatred that we see on this board for Paterno is not the product of sports hatred.

I was born in 1982 and my Paterno hatred is solely tied to this situation. All it would have taken was a call to the police not shouting from the mountain tops. The police could have handled it from their and it would have been off his conscious. If the police ended up dropping the ball, then so be it. However, that's not the case.

Bees - If he knew in 1998 or 1992 0r 1994 and kept the guy around, I agree with you.

But, I know a lot of Penn State people where I live and nobody knew about this stuff - they all revered Sandusky. I have a very good friend who played at PSU in the late 197os. Sandusky was his coach. He loved Sandusky and hated Paterno. I cannot find one person who had an inkling of any of this stuff until it was announced that a grand jury had been convened.

So, it may be that Paterno did not know. I strongly suspect that he didn't. But if he did ...

I think it's important not to confuse "sports hatred" for normal, everyday, human hatred. I have "hated" Paterno and Penn State since that October day in 1969 when the Orange took a 14-0 lead into the fourth quarter against the undefeated Lions and lost the game 15-14 when the referees gave PSU two or three chances to get the 2-point conversion at the end of the game.

That moment in the third quarter in 1987 when the Orange led Paterno's team 41-0 remains my best SU Football moment for the 44 years I have been watching.

So when Sandusky brought little kids to the practice field after he was not coaching anymore, you are saying that Paterno had no idea about 92, 94, 98 or the 130 page police report about something that happened in his locker room, thus would have no reason to ask Sandusky What he was doing there with a kid? And the school told Sandusky never to come on campus again with a child, but Paterno never knew that either?

It's too easy to conclude that he allowed these things to happen.

He clearly did not allow anything to happen.

Should he or could he have done more? Sure.

But when a man of 84 years says that he didn't even know that a man could rape a male, that tells me that he was generationally, socially and professionally incapable of dealing with something that he obviously didn't understand.

The hate that some of the posts above seem to reflect is very disappointing to me.

I would like to think that SU Football people would have a bit more empathy and sympathy for a decent man who just didn't get it in this bizzare instance.

I very much agree with you on this. I think people must look at the facts and other stuff.

The FACT is that Mike McQueary didn't tell JoePa the exact detail like we know. The FACT is that he personally didn't witness anything. The FACT is that Jerry Sandusky believes that JoePa knew nothing about his odd behavior. The FACT is that JoePa didn't commit any crime. It was Mr. Sandusky who committed all the crime.

OTHER STUFF. Pedophiles are usually well-respected person whom you least suspect. What would you do if someone comes up and tells you that your most trusted co-worker maybe molesting a child, especially a boy?(Sorry for double standard, but it's the reality) I bet more than 70% of people will be in denial... No way he would do such a thing, much less to a boy???... Do you guys remember when Boeheim strongly came out and defended Bernie Fine? Do you remember Rony Seikaly strongly defending Bernie Fine?

So what did he do? He told his boss to investigate it. People say he did nothing and tried to hide the scandal. People make it sound like JoePa told Jerry Sandusky, "it's ok to go molest kids." That is not true. JoePa admitted that he didn't know what he was doing with this and admitted his mistake. I give him credit for that. I also give him credit for not saying one bad thing about how PSU handled his firing. He showed lot of support for new coach Bill O'Brien.

Also, what did ESPN and Syracuse Police do in 2002 when Bobby Davis came out with Bernie Fine molesting... NOTHING. The POLICE did NOTHING... That shows how child molestation was neglected in our society just 10 years ago.

Should and could he have done more? Yes. Did he make bad mistake? Yes. Is he still a great football coach? Yes. Is he still a great man who positively affected so many people's lives? Yes.

My prayers and thoughts are with him, his family and PSU community. Although, he made one bad mistake, he is still a legend in my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

I don't understand what that means "for all intents and purposes" he allowed it happen.

I think rather it's a glib statement with no supporting fact.

He was not the police - he was not an employer after 1998 - he was never a friend and he was not a witness.

Those who had jurisdiction in 2002 were the AD and the President - not Paterno.

Moreover, the assault that prompted the AG investigation occurred at a local school district - it had nothing to do with Paterno.

There is nothing accurate about your statement. Sorry.
Don't be sorry. The fact is he did Nothing and the administration did Nothing and JoePa buried his head in the sand and children suffered because people did Nothing.

So when Sandusky brought little kids to the practice field after he was not coaching anymore, you are saying that Paterno had no idea about 92, 94, 98 or the 130 page police report about something that happened in his locker room, thus would have no reason to ask Sandusky What he was doing there with a kid? And the school told Sandusky never to come on campus again with a child, but Paterno never knew that either?

I stand by 100% that JoePa didn't know what Sandusky was doing behind closed doors. Pedophiles are people whom you least suspect. Lot of those information are confidential and police doesn't release information until proven for sake of person's reputation. Look at how Boeheim defended Bernie Fine.
Also, Sandusky said he didn't think JoePa knew about his odd behavior. Just my opinion.

CBS Breaking News: Report of Joe Paterno's death "horseplay."

I stand by 100% that JoePa didn't know what Sandusky was doing behind closed doors. Pedophiles are people whom you least suspect. Lot of those information are confidential and police doesn't release information until proven for sake of person's reputation. Look at how Boeheim defended Bernie Fine.
Also, Sandusky said he didn't think JoePa knew about his odd behavior. Just my opinion.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king (JoePa). McCreary told JoePa enough to call the police against someone who was no longer associated with the University. Bernie Fine is a poor, poor example. It's more like if McNamara told Boeheim he saw Jake Crouthamel in the shower with little boy and Boeheim called TGD to let him know what happened. Are you F***ing Kidding Me!!!!!! I'd hope Boeheim would have called the police unlike JoePa.

It's more like if McNamara told Boeheim he saw Jake Crouthamel in the shower with little boy and Boeheim called TGD to let him know what happened. Are you F***ing Kidding Me!!!!!! I'd hope Boeheim would have called the police unlike JoePa.

And after calling the police, get everyone with him and go in their and grab him by the throat.

Was JoePa deaf and f*cking ed too? Didn't know what was going on - he reported that something happened, that means that he knew something might have happened. Is your reading comprehension that bad?

Boeheim defended Bernie because none of his other assistants walked in on BF @ss-raping a kid. If they had, he wouldn't have stood at a microphone defending him.

You must be joking with your comments because these are as stupid of arguments as I've ever read before.

As much as Paterno changed a lot of young boys' lives for the worse, Paterno changed more young mens' lives for the better. No one is perfect, he made a bad mistake, but it doesn't take away from the good he has done for more than he has hurt.

As much as Paterno changed a lot of young boys' lives for the worse, Paterno changed more young mens' lives for the better. No one is perfect, he made a bad mistake, but it doesn't take away from the good he has done for more than he has hurt.

Just 1 kid being raped because he didn't do anything for decades wipes out anything good he ever did even if for a 1,000 people/kids. The PedSt students at the vigil tonight should be ashamed of themselves and their parents embarrassed.

Joe Pa will live to be 110 this is so much bs by his --ing kid. I feel sorry for him but to think he had no idea what was going on is pure crap of course he had an idea. Why the heck would rapdusky quit coaching? Joe is very much to blame for this.

Yep. He made football players out of people with talent, but screwed up a few people by his gross negligence. Tell that to the kids that had their lives f*** up (at the VERY least after 2002) directly to their face. "I know you suffered and will never be the same, but Joe Pa helped Lavar Arington get to the NFL and make millions, so suck it up". Even if one more kid was affected after that incident, it completely and utterly diminishes Joe Pa's entire image, as rightfully it should.

So if a world renowned doctor drives drunk and kills an 8 year old it's okay because he's not perfect. He made a bad mistake.

Yep. He made football players out of people with talent, but screwed up a few people by his gross negligence. Tell that to the kids that had their lives f*** up (at the VERY least after 2002) directly to their face. "I know you suffered and will never be the same, but Joe Pa helped Lavar Arington get to the NFL and make millions, so suck it up". Even if one more kid was affected after that incident, it completely and utterly diminishes Joe Pa's entire image, as rightfully it should.
This is ignorance at its finest. Paterno, aside from this one mistake (albeit a huge one that he has admitted to), is and has always been renowned for having the best graduation rates, and making more of players and young men. What he did with those that were in his program was monumental. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is blind. He had consistently been tops of the graduation rate for his whole time at PSU. I hate PSU. I always have, but he had done a ton of good outside of one big mistake, too.

This is ignorance at its finest. Paterno, aside from this one mistake (albeit a huge one that he has admitted to), is and has always been renowned for having the best graduation rates, and making more of players and young men. What he did with those that were in his program was monumental. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is blind. He had consistently been tops of the graduation rate for his whole time at PSU. I hate PSU. I always have, but he had done a ton of good outside of one big mistake, too.

Yep I'm blind. "Sorry Billy, you'll never live a normal life, but I was able to get Kerry Collins to graduate." Bazinga!

1,000,000,000 people graduating from college does not, in anyway, make up for any child having their life taken away from them.

Thanks Joe for turning a blind eye. Those last few recruiting classes might not have graduated. Yikes!

Great line, really sums up what I was thinking, oh wait... you weren't referring to your own post?

I'm not saying the good that he did for some outweighs the pain he caused for others; I'm just saying he did a lot of good for many, which shouldn't be overlooked, nor should that pain be overshadowed by the good, as well.

It's too easy to conclude that he allowed these things to happen.

He clearly did not allow anything to happen.

Should he or could he have done more? Sure.

But when a man of 84 years says that he didn't even know that a man could rape a male, that tells me that he was generationally, socially and professionally incapable of dealing with something that he obviously didn't understand.

The hate that some of the posts above seem to reflect is very disappointing to me.

I would like to think that SU Football people would have a bit more empathy and sympathy for a decent man who just didn't get it in this bizzare instance.

How do you know that he wasn't coached by someone to play the old man card? This stuff started coming up with Sandusky in the mid 90s, he wasn't 84 then. And from that point to the McQueary conversation, not one person mentioned to him that oh by the way, this is kind of a big deal? Sandusky's retiring was always a mystery to the outside world, but couldn't have been to those he worked for.

It just makes me wonder how many other things he "didn't get it" about while he presided over that program. There are people saying he did everything right in his life except this one thing. How do those people really know? Maybe there were many more things like this that just never became public. One thing I learned in this whole thing is that State College, PA is a strange place that will do about anything to protect that program.

I don't feel quite as bad saying that right now because it turns out I'm not p!ssing on a grave...yet.

Either way, he's 85 years old, and up until 2 months ago, had been known to have lived a long, happy, productive life. I don't tend to mourn over those passings, rather I would focus on celebrating the life (if he died 3 months ago anyway). No one lives forever, the lucky ones make it that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom