OT: Where You Going This Summer For Vacation? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Where You Going This Summer For Vacation?

Only set in stone trip is a trip to the Jersey Shore the end of July/beginning of August. If all goes to plan my wife and I are going to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary the following summer (2014) by going back to the resort in Mexico where we married and honeymooned.

My family's been doing the Jersey Shore (Lavallette) every summer since before I was born, so I'll be down there a fair bit assuming the town's in decent shape. Family's doing the full week for the fourth, but I might spend a few weeks here and there at the house since most of my work is from home anyway. Very excited. We got tremendously lucky that our house is in good shape.
Lavallette is getting better. The Crab's Claw (yes, the upstairs WVU bar survived) opened back up in February, and a bunch of other spots are coming back online. Lavallette, Ortley Beach, and Seaside were hit pretty bad. Joey Harrison's is gone as is much of the Seaside Boardwalk. The worst spot that I've seen is Mantoloking. Unbelievable damage.

It all won't ever be the same, but it is coming back. When you're in town, drop me a PM and perhaps we can grab a suds.

Try a dark n stormy (Goslings Dark Rim with Ginger Beer), rent a moped all day and drive the island...BTW, $20 sez you drive on the wrong side at least once and lastly just walk Hamilton. Gorgeous place, kinda like the Caribbean but more safe and British.
Agree with the Dark and Stormy, and if you like more tropical drinks try a Rum Swizzle (a proper one has falernum in it.) Skip the moped and save yourself a trip to the ER. Seriously. Heard too many stories of folks getting torn up while on those things. The roads are narrow and very winding, the the locals drive like NYC cabbies. Use a local cab/van and you'll be fine. The Dockyard isn't bad, we enjoyed the glassworks and walking around down there.

Hamilton is nice to walk around and if you feel like shopping there are high end shops there. We ate at a place called the Hog's Penny there.

Gibbs Hill lighthouse and Henry VIII make not a bad little excursion.

Love Bermuda. Have fun!!!

May 16th -May 30th - Madrid/Barcelona/Monaco/Pisa/Florence/Rome -First time to Europe, so looking to find a place to spend an extended vacation in future years!

July 27 - August 3 - Hilton Head annual trip.

Ahhh, Spain.

A couple of suggestions.

1. Be very careful of scams, pickpockets, etc. The Spanish have it down to an art form. Not that the Italians don't. Take reasonable precautions like a money belt or a dummy wallet or something.
2. Adjust your time clock and live like a Spaniard. (e.g dinner at 10pm) Trying to utilize an American schedule in Spain is swimming against the tide.
3. Madrid has better museums and more of a traditional Spanish feel. Barcelona is newer, hipper and moves at a slightly faster pace. Architecture in Barcelona is a big deal.
4. Florence is nice.
5. Rome contains lots of "must sees" but its busy and the Romans aren't all that fastidious when it comes to keeping things clean and picking things up. If you really want to see Roman artifacts in better condition try southern France. The arena at Nimes is much better than the Colliseum.
6. IMO France is the jewel of Europe. It's blessed with the best climate and soil. It has the hands-down greatest city And the best food.

Lavallette is getting better. The Crab's Claw (yes, the upstairs WVU bar survived) opened back up in February, and a bunch of other spots are coming back online. Lavallette, Ortley Beach, and Seaside were hit pretty bad. Joey Harrison's is gone as is much of the Seaside Boardwalk. The worst spot that I've seen is Mantoloking. Unbelievable damage.

It all won't ever be the same, but it is coming back. When you're in town, drop me a PM and perhaps we can grab a suds.

Mantoloking looks like a war torn area. My father in law goes to Union Beach every weekend with his church group to help build houses and do other sorts of construction and light plumbing and electrical. Six months later and a lot of places aren't even close to being back to normal. I feel so grateful that I only lost power for a week and not my home, unlike many others here in Jersey.

Five days in the Scottish Highlands (staying halfway between Fort Augustus and Inverness on Loch Ness) and ten days driving around the Republic of Ireland, starting on July 21st.
I rented a car and spent a couple of weeks driving around Ireland. I absolutely loved it. I did a musical pub crawl in Dublin for my birthday, which was awesome. It's amazing how passe' you get about castles after seeing so many. Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, and Cork are a few of my favorite places. David Hoyne (owner of Kitty Hoynes) recommended a great Italian restaurant in his hometown of Kilkenny. It was the best meal of the trip. I got the chance to sing at Durty Nelly's for a few pints. By far the highlight of my trip. I can't wait to go back!

I rented a car and spent a couple of weeks driving around Ireland. I absolutely loved it. I did a musical pub crawl in Dublin for my birthday, which was awesome. It's amazing how passe' you get about castles after seeing so many. Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, and Cork are a few of my favorite places. David Hoyne (owner of Kitty Hoynes) recommended a great Italian restaurant in his hometown of Kilkenny. It was the best meal of the trip. I got the chance to sing at Durty Nelly's for a few pints. By far the highlight of my trip. I can't wait to go back!

We love Scotland, too. My wife has Scottish ancestors and we have been to Edinburgh, Sterling, Glasgow and Loch Lomond. This coming trip will take us far into the Scottish Highlands, up to Inverness and the Isle of Skye.

I have dual citizenship (USA/Ireland). My last visit to Ireland was in 2011. I have been to the places you mention. I can't wait to return, either.

My wife and I in 2011 were similar to what you said above. We joked about "Oh, look, another 12th Century castle" or "Look, another absolutely beautiful, scenic view." I know what you mean. Ireland is an absolutely beautiful country.

We are seriously thinking of retiring in Ireland (I am almost 56). I will have to figure out what to do with my foreign, alien, American, non-citizen wife, though. We have not checked into issues like a visa for her, yet.

Will do! Fayetteville is nice for sure. I was in KC for 24 hrs last summer on a Sat. Managed to get to Oklahoma Joe's, Manifesto, and to this legendary jazz set at Foundation from 2AM-6AM, lol. Definitely want to get to Boulevard this time.

Well since you've already done Okie Joe's then Boulevard has to be next on your list.
The College Basketball Experience is awesome. Plenty of Cuse stuff and the giant Boeheim on the outside always makes me feel at home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, I forgot to mention--gonna be your porch in Elmira. Be a good boy and stock up on some of those good beers from Horseheads Brewing--right down the road from you. See ya soon!
You're not gonna want to sit on any porches in Elmira.
-Someone from Corning

Also, Horseheads Brewing Co. makes some delicious beers.

Glad the Crabs Claw is in good shape. Don't know what we'd do without that place. Had no idea it was an 'eers bar until a few years ago.

The pictures from down there, especially Mantoloking, are unbelievable. Can't believe the devastation. Couldn't be more relieved that we build high when we rebuilt our house a few years ago. We ended up with some floor damage and a lost grill but that's almost it.

I might head down the first weekend of June depending on what my work schedule looks like. Going to spend a lot of my summer there for sure so I'll definitely drop you a line at some point.

Well since you've already done Okie Joe's then Boulevard has to be next on your list.
The College Basketball Experience is awesome. Plenty of Cuse stuff and the giant Boeheim on the outside always makes me feel at home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Good call on that. Is it worth trying Arthur Bryant's or Gates to compare to Okie Joe's?

Good call on that. Is it worth trying Arthur Bryant's or Gates to compare to Okie Joe's?
Bryant's is good and the history of the place is awesome. Gates is dry and too salty for me.
I can point you in the right direction. BB's lawn side is awesome and have live blues in the evening.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh, Spain.

A couple of suggestions.

1. Be very careful of scams, pickpockets, etc. The Spanish have it down to an art form. Not that the Italians don't. Take reasonable precautions like a money belt or a dummy wallet or something.
2. Adjust your time clock and live like a Spaniard. (e.g dinner at 10pm) Trying to utilize an American schedule in Spain is swimming against the tide.
3. Madrid has better museums and more of a traditional Spanish feel. Barcelona is newer, hipper and moves at a slightly faster pace. Architecture in Barcelona is a big deal.
4. Florence is nice.
5. Rome contains lots of "must sees" but its busy and the Romans aren't all that fastidious when it comes to keeping things clean and picking things up. If you really want to see Roman artifacts in better condition try southern France. The arena at Nimes is much better than the Colliseum.
6. IMO France is the jewel of Europe. It's blessed with the best climate and soil. It has the hands-down greatest city And the best food.
Excellent synopsis. I'll heed your advice on this. Greatly appreciated.

My little family and I are renting a cottage on Chautauqua Lake for the week of the 4th of July. My hometown and I try to get back as much as I can during that week. Also planning a football game at NC State I believe as I have family in NC as well.

I travel for vacation a lot so I will keep it short. I have 5 more cruises this year, a trip to Rhode Island and Boston (for the Stones concert and sight seeing) and a couple weeks trip to Oregon (first time really exited)

If I only had a day, I'd go to Arthur Bryant's over Gates, but they're both terrific.

Also, on the College Basketball Experience - It's more of an interactive/activity-based destination than the typical HOF. There are some cool artifacts, but there are lots of courts and hoops. In other words, there's more to do than there is to see, so keep that in mind.

If I only had a day, I'd go to Arthur Bryant's over Gates, but they're both terrific.

Also, on the College Basketball Experience - It's more of an interactive/activity-based destination than the typical HOF. There are some cool artifacts, but there are lots of courts and hoops. In other words, there's more to do than there is to see, so keep that in mind.

Thanks. Noted!

My little family and I are renting a cottage on Chautauqua Lake for the week of the 4th of July. My hometown and I try to get back as much as I can during that week. Also planning a football game at NC State I believe as I have family in NC as well.
+1 for Chautauqua Lake. Spend 2 or 3 weeks there every summer. Just over a month away now.

Flew into Cuse yesterday...noticed the new security entrance is opened at SYR. Hopefully they can add a few more restaurants. I was underwhelmed with the remodel project so far. Hopefully more to come. The airport really could use Southwest and Frontier.

Anyways my wife insisted we stop at Wegman's...she has figured out that the 315 has resisted the Zweigle's scourge and the upscale carpetbaggers from Rochester are the only reliable carrier of their products into the heart of the Hofmann Empire. I plugged my nose and grabbed a pack to keep in good graces. My Fall trips depend on these random acts of kindness to my wife from the 716 585.

Definitely! Post or PM if there's something you have a question about.

I think I'm going to do an Okie Joe's and Arthur Bryant's comparison. I loved Okie Joe's when I was there last summer but that is the only BBQ I have had in KC. I will go back to Okie Joe's to at least buy their spicy BBQ sauce to take home with me. That stuff is the best BBQ sauce I've ever had. Also going to check out Boulevard, and CBE for sure.

Dreamspark in Cooperstown...with a daily detour to Brewery Ommegang...

I think I'm going to do an Okie Joe's and Arthur Bryant's comparison. I loved Okie Joe's when I was there last summer but that is the only BBQ I have had in KC. I will go back to Okie Joe's to at least buy their spicy BBQ sauce to take home with me. That stuff is the best BBQ sauce I've ever had. Also going to check out Boulevard, and CBE for sure.

Boulevard tours fill up weeks, sometimes months in advance, so I'd jump on that as soon as you know the dates you're going.