OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans

giphy.gif

But how are getting out of the driveway to drive to Home Depot if your driveway is full of snow? ;)

Amazon Prime has 1-day shipping, and sometimes same-day shipping depending on when you order.

I don't know. I'm kind of creeped out by one company selling me everything I need. Next thing you know, we'll all be wearing the same clothes like in Star Trek.

i'm just going to keep running to grocery store. if you want to plan out your entire life ahead of time, great, i'll get around the store faster.

Don't forget that 5% cashback! It's amazing how much of my consumer behavior is shaped by Discover and Chase's cashback calendar. We're talking about $300 dollars max a year but I'll drive out of my way to get that discount.

You mess with my wegmans you’re asking for death.
Wegmans is life.

And for the record I prefer actually being in the store and buying my groceries.
I don’t want some weirdo picking out my stuff I’m perfectly capable of buying my stuff.

You mess with my wegmans you’re asking for death.
Wegmans is life.

And for the record I prefer actually being in the store and buying my groceries.
I don’t want some weirdo picking out my stuff I’m perfectly capable of buying my stuff.

This is a big thing here in Houston. All of the major chains offer it (Kroger, HEB, etc). Problem is they don't always find what you want (and you know it's there), they get the wrong thing or they don't pick the best produce. The convenience isn't worth it in my opinion.

This is a big thing here in Houston. All of the major chains offer it (Kroger, HEB, etc). Problem is they don't always find what you want (and you know it's there), they get the wrong thing or they don't pick the best produce. The convenience isn't worth it in my opinion.

It’s gotta be like instacart that’s in wegmans right now. And I can see those people effinggg it up.

And those who are scared of being in there during rush hour man up! If that’s the worst thing that happens to you then deal with it.

This is like saying soccer will over take football in ten years, five years ago. It ain't happening.

Seriously you haven’t seen the demise of area retail stores? Boutiques, specialty shops for the moment seem to be doing okay but Amazon etc and the multitudes of online shopping have decimated the brick/mortar retail stores -shopping habits have changed. People would rather google, have it delivered than get in their car, shop in stores and bring it home.

Seriously you haven’t seen the demise of area retail stores? Boutiques, specialty shops for the moment seem to be doing okay but Amazon etc and the multitudes of online shopping have decimated the brick/mortar retail stores -shopping habits have changed. People would rather google, have it delivered than get in their car, shop in stores and bring it home.
It's true. I hate going shopping. My wife even started using a pickup service at Hannaford. She orders online and picks it up outside the store. They do all the work including putting it in your car.

Last edited:
It's true. I hate going shopping. My wife even started using a pickup service at Hannaford. She orders online and picks it up outside the store. They do all the work including putting in in your car.

Our son gets his baby’s diapers, baby formula, wipes etc all on-line and directly delivered. I’m waiting for the day that it will cost for returns and deliveries once most people are totally dependent and local options disappear.

Nope. Come to my area, things are popping all over the place.

For someone like me, a place like Wegmans would be heaven sent in the south. They kill it with prepared foods and as a single dude in my 30’s who’s always on the go, I’m not sure how Amazon Prime replicates me going to a grocery store to grab a dinner to throw in the oven/microwave.

I’m also a spur of the moment shopper. I don’t keep lists and run inventory of what I need. If I run out of something, I go out and get more.

Amazon Prime for groceries/food etc just doesn’t work for me. ...ya know, lazy folks that refuse to plan ahead.
I think some of the chains down here are starting to catch on. Kroger & Publix are the main chains in the Atlanta area (if you don't include Walmart & Target Superstores). Kroger just opened a store near me that is very Wegmans-like. Lots of prepared foods and a small bar where you can sample microbrews! My wife & I half-joked about having a date night there. But, as a Wegmans alum (worked at the Onondaga Blvd store in Syracuse as a teen), nothing beats them.

Fair enough, but just please don't be the old person who pays via writing out a check in line.
i know it's wrong to generalize about all women but i have a problem with all women

[the jokes write themselves]

the debit card goes into a very specific place in the debit card holder which goes into the little vera bradley debit card holder bag which goes into a very specific spot in the bigger vera bradley bag and this all MUST be taken care of before you step 2 steps over so the rest of the line might be able to buy their stuff

all you have to do is move over 2 feet and you can spend all day putting things away in your bag

Brick and mortar is still about 84% of retail spending in the US, a lot of the major brand closings were due to overbuilding or stupidity (sears was amazon 100 years ago)

Retail fell asleep on amazon, buy online pickup in store is becoming more common now, as a culture we love instant gratification and leaving our homes.

Think your 100% spot on. The market will keep moving more online before people get fed up and start demanding brick and mortar locations again, Americans will always want some physical locations its why Best Buy is thriving.
Best Buy Closed on Route 31. Right next to Wegmans

i know it's wrong to generalize about all women but i have a problem with all women

the debit card goes into a very specific place in the debit card holder which goes into the little vera bradley debit card holder bag which goes into a very specific spot in the bigger vera bradley bag and this all MUST be taken care of before you step 2 steps over so the rest of the line might be able to buy their stuff

all you have to do is move over 2 feet and you can spend all day putting things away in your bag
If you are in that big of a hurry, that's on you.

This could go into the H0T Takes thread but it is spot on. The space between the register and the exit seems to be everyone's designated "walk 5 times more slowly than you usually do while weaving side to side and fiddling with something that can wait while attempting to guide a shopping cart" part of Wegmans. It's infuriating.

I don't know. I'm kind of creeped out by one company selling me everything I need. Next thing you know, we'll all be wearing the same clothes like in Star Trek.
You don't want to be the one with the red shirt.

Fair enough, but just please don't be the old person who pays via writing out a check in line.
Yeah, get with the program and simply pay with coins (dimes and smaller).