OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans

Never replace Publix here in Florida. Going to Publix is worst than going to the dentist when I was Ten years old. No novecane and my dentist always would say” how many are we gonna pull today?”

Think your 100% spot on. The market will keep moving more online before people get fed up and start demanding brick and mortar locations again, Americans will always want some physical locations its why Best Buy is thriving.

I'm not sure BestBuy is thriving. They have been closing a lot of stores lately...

I do some research on Gen Z and their consumer habits, and for whatever it's worth they seem to like shopping in person. This is even controlling for consumer factors like access to credit which makes online shopping easier and stuff like that.

Never replace Publix here in Florida. Going to Publix is worst than going to the dentist when I was Ten years old. No novecane and my dentist always would say” how many are we gonna pull today?”

I think the quality of a Publix is driven by location. I've been in a couple in Palm Beach County and for the most part they are fine. Better than Tops and Price Chopper.

I do some research on Gen Z and their consumer habits, and for whatever it's worth they seem to like shopping in person. This is even controlling for consumer factors like access to credit which makes online shopping easier and stuff like that.

Are Gen Z’ers even old enough to drink or have student loans? :cool:

I always do my grocery shopping in person. As I've mentioned before, I'm in a wheelchair and worked hard to learn to do things on my own. I'd prefer doing stuff on my own rather than having people wait on me. But I realize those particular circumstances are not something that everyone can relate to.

Forget about Wegmans. Brick and mortar retail is well on it's way to being obsolete. My grandkids won't understand the concept of a store that we got in our cars to drive to.
Who's driving cars then? The cars will be driving themselves.

But how are getting out of the driveway to drive to Home Depot if your driveway is full of snow? ;)

Amazon Prime has 1-day shipping, and sometimes same-day shipping depending on when you order.
A four wheel drive Jeep. ;)

This is a big thing here in Houston. All of the major chains offer it (Kroger, HEB, etc). Problem is they don't always find what you want (and you know it's there), they get the wrong thing or they don't pick the best produce. The convenience isn't worth it in my opinion.
My wife and I used the Kroger "click list" thing when they first started because they had a promotion to get the first 3 times free. Inevitably they picked the crappiest produce everytime. If you get prepackaged stuff, it's fine (enjoy the diabetes and heart disease you get from a diet heavy in processed food too). If you buy anything fresh or like to stock up on things when you come across a sale, it's not worth it.

I think the quality of a Publix is driven by location. I've been in a couple in Palm Beach County and for the most part they are fine. Better than Tops and Price Chopper.
The newer ones in the Knoxville area are nicer than the older ones I've been to in Florida.

When you can order anything with 30 minute drone delivery we'll see how long brick and mortar sticks around. In the end, I have no idea. But it sure doesn't seem all that far off.
Maybe for non food items, but I sure don't want someone else choosing my produce and meats.

I looked at the link thinking the robots would actually be helpful - pulling customers' carts or finding things moved by the distributors. Then i noticed that they "collect safety data". Wow ... just what we need (?).

Amazon is going to eventually feel the wrath of the environmental groups unless they come up with some plan other than corrugated boxes. The government won't let drones in residential areas and Amazon is going to need a retail partner to act as a warehouse. Wal-Mart is also not going down easy - the purchase of Flipkart and existing brick and mortar gives them an edge in some ways IMHO.