OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: why Foodlion will eventually conquer Wegmans

Wegmans is taking advantage of our love for it by jacking up their prices.

A slice of meatloaf, a scoop of mashed potatoes and green beans should not be $9.

They squeeze out competing brands and then often raise prices. Not so much with staples, thankfully. But their prepared foods aren't that good and the prices go up constantly. I think the Asian stuff is $9.49 a pound in DeWitt these days.

A slice of meatloaf, a scoop of mashed potatoes and green beans should not be $9.

Whole Foods is the same but completely inedible. American Dad absolutely nailed the Whole Foods buffet. It's where you go to pick up "some slops and stews."

HEB - Chicken breast with pesto, baby potatoes and broccoli or green bean - $6.99 You are getting ripped off.

Americans will always want some physical locations its why Best Buy is thriving.

Best Buy in Liverpool closed.

Foodlion and all you saying wegmans isn’t the best are about to catch these hands.

When you can order anything with 30 minute drone delivery we'll see how long brick and mortar sticks around. In the end, I have no idea. But it sure doesn't seem all that far off.

Wegmans will never be taken over by anyone. Food Lion wouldn't last here. We are happy with the best grocery stores available anywhere. Food Lion is below Price Chopper.

Yep it's drove us to Tops. What a great experience, not as crowded, everthing we need and better prices (maybe significantly just haven't closely analyzed it yet but definitely cheaper overall). Became a no brainer for us, it's been SO NICE NOT having to fight Wegmans traffic both in and out of the store, recommend it highly.

HEB - Chicken breast with pesto, baby potatoes and broccoli or green bean - $6.99 You are getting ripped off.

HEB - Harry E Butts - I love it

Yep it's drove us to Tops. What a great experience, not as crowded, everthing we need and better prices (maybe significantly just haven't closely analyzed it yet but definitely cheaper overall). Became a no brainer for us, it's been SO NICE NOT having to fight Wegmans traffic both in and out of the store, recommend it highly.

What tops you shopping at that’s better than a wegmans??

I had instacart deliver my groceries earlier but only because my foot is broken at the moment. I just woke up and tried to make bagel bites real quick at 4am yakno, but the lady got me triple cheese instead of pepperoni. Needless to say I'm laying here at 4:48AM still hungry.

When you can order anything with 30 minute drone delivery we'll see how long brick and mortar sticks around. In the end, I have no idea. But it sure doesn't seem all that far off.
I’ve got a neighbor that works for a high end women’s fashion brand. He said their business plan takes into account that their brick and mortar retail will lose money and they make it up on outlet and internet sales. He said they don’t have a catalog or mailer, so the brick retail is viewed as advertising and marketing cost. People window shop, then go home and online it. Because they are high end, their real estate is even higher loss as they have to be in the highest/best locations for “brand”. This is the future of retail for some.

What tops you shopping at that’s better than a wegmans??
didn't say it was better than wegmans. Its good enough, has everything we'd ever need with the upside you're not fighting crowds and traffic every step of the way and you save some $. Where it lacks is in the cafe side of things, pizza quick etc, so we just don't eat there like we used to often at wegmans. So paneras is happy with us though!

Seriously you haven’t seen the demise of area retail stores? Boutiques, specialty shops for the moment seem to be doing okay but Amazon etc and the multitudes of online shopping have decimated the brick/mortar retail stores -shopping habits have changed. People would rather google, have it delivered than get in their car, shop in stores and bring it home.

Actually, I just read a report that included interviews with the top management of several retail chains.

They said that stores are going to be around a long time. First, a majority of people (60%?) ordering online prefer to pick their purchases up at a retail store. Second, it's stores are very valuable for displaying the actual goods whether or not people order on line or buy in the store. And thidly, chains have reuced the costs of stores while maintaining almost all the benefits. I assume that is in reduced rents (due to less competition for the spaces), better inventory control (Better data), lower labor costs and reduced shrinkage because of webcam observation.

So these guys were far less pessimistic about the future of stores and shopping centers than the average American. I was operating under the assumption that stores are dying off rather quickly, but after reading this, I am not so sure.

Our son gets his baby’s diapers, baby formula, wipes etc all on-line and directly delivered. I’m waiting for the day that it will cost for returns and deliveries once most people are totally dependent and local options disappear.
Your son orders his own diapers, formula, and wipes. Impressive for a baby.

Your son orders his own diapers, formula, and wipes. Impressive for a baby.

:p We are obviously a very advanced technological family- lol. The son I referred to, actually is our baby being the youngest- but it is his baby, our 5th granddaughter, benefitting from internet diapers etc. Our son was way too lazy as a baby to order his own diapers etc.

It's true. I hate going shopping. My wife even started using a pickup service at Hannaford. She orders online and picks it up outside the store. They do all the work including putting it in your car.
squeeze a melon ? no bruise bananas and apples ? the marbling in meat and expiration dates ? smell ?
no thanks. (disclosure : i am a share holder of whole foods)

Wegmans will come back with robots that look like this:

1547868398206.png

Attachments

• 1547868386633.png
    1547868386633.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 8