OT: You Go Boy | Syracusefan.com

OT: You Go Boy

SkanSU

Starter
Many are going to say we can't support vigilantiism. Well if you all read the paper this AM than you know of the man in Watertown who took the bat to the head shop that sold bath salts to his son. His son ended up in the hospital. The guy went over the edge, according to the story, when he asked if the shop sold bath salts and the proprietor began telling him how to take the salts. After chasing the proprietor around the store with a baseball bat (he did not intend to hit him) he demolished the store. Prior to his assault on the store he had asked some ladies outside of a laundromat to go inside and stay out of the way. After the assault he called 911 and reported himself. He was charged with 2 felony charges: criminal mischief and possession of a weapon. The guy makes $2400/month and is worried about paying a lawyer.

Now I cannot normally support vigilantiism ... but in this case: YOU GO BOY!!! You just know there will be lawyers out there drooling for the coverage and will take the case pro bono.

As a side note according to the story the Feds raided the place the day after (along with several other shops) and had obtained a warrant last week!!! Perhaps if the Feds had acted more quickly this gentleman would not be in jail and his son wouldn't be in the hospital.

Many are going to say we can't support vigilantiism. Well if you all read the paper this AM than you know of the man in Watertown who took the bat to the head shop that sold bath salts to his son. His son ended up in the hospital. The guy went over the edge, according to the story, when he asked if the shop sold bath salts and the proprietor began telling him how to take the salts. After chasing the proprietor around the store with a baseball bat (he did not intend to hit him) he demolished the store. Prior to his assault on the store he had asked some ladies outside of a laundromat to go inside and stay out of the way. After the assault he called 911 and reported himself. He was charged with 2 felony charges: criminal mischief and possession of a weapon. The guy makes $2400/month and is worried about paying a lawyer.

Now I cannot normally support vigilantiism ... but in this case: YOU GO BOY!!! You just know there will be lawyers out there drooling for the coverage and will take the case pro bono.

As a side note according to the story the Feds raided the place the day after (along with several other shops) and had obtained a warrant last week!!! Perhaps if the Feds had acted more quickly this gentleman would not be in jail and his son wouldn't be in the hospital.

Perhaps his son should not have used bath salts. Then he would not be in the hospital and his father would not be in jail, looking at possibly going to prison. A little personal responsibility would have gone a long way.

Perhaps his son should not have used bath salts. Then he would not be in the hospital and his father would not be in jail, looking at possibly going to prison. A little personal responsibility would have gone a long way.
Exactly. My biggest problem with society today is the lack of accountability that people are held to. While I appreciate the sentiment being a father and all, his son is the one who made the decision to do the drug.

Exactly. My biggest problem with society today is the lack of accountability that people are held to. While I appreciate the sentiment being a father and all, his son is the one who made the decision to do the drug.
While you may logically be right, it's much easier to say that when you aren't the father.

While you may logically be right, it's much easier to say that when you aren't the father.
100% agree, and if I were in the same position I may have done the same, and if I was on his jury, I would not convict.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I agree if I were on his jury no conviction would be my choice. Whats really needed is for these kind of shops to be shut down. When you speak of responsibility, what of the clowns who run these shops, knowing this stuff causes harm? Just because its legal to sell something that can harm people, doesn't mean you should.

100% agree, and if I were in the same position I may have done the same, and if I was on his jury, I would not convict.

If my son were 15 or so, then yeah I would take it upon myself to exact revenge, but the kid in question was 24 years old. This is on him.

[quote="baggerbob, When you speak of responsibility, what of the clowns who run these shops, knowing this stuff causes harm? Just because its legal to sell something that can harm people, doesn't mean you should.[/quote]

Tobacco companies, and your local drug store, grocery stores etc, have been doing it forever.

I know it seems like a jump in logic, but still.

If the bath salt industry had a big enough lobby they'd probably be selling it in candy stores.

Even the Mayor of Watertown was quoted in the paper saying that no jury would convict this guy. That's a pretty bold statement for a mayor to say.

The way I look at it, this guy helped the Feds and the town even if he did himself no favors in the process. He'll have no trouble finding a lawyer, and he'll get off with community service (which will be the irony of all ironies, since he already did his service). And the Feds acted the next day specifically because of this incident. They would probably still be sipping coffee and reading the New Times right now waiting for the right time.

His son better get his life straight after this. Next time be a leader and don't listen to your druggy friends when they suggest taking this cool new substance. Epic Fail.

Even the Mayor of Watertown was quoted in the paper saying that no jury would convict this guy. That's a pretty bold statement for a mayor to say.
I'm opposed to jury nullification, so I hope the case doesn't make it that far. Cut a deal Mr. D.A. Community service, and some level of restitution.

Ain't nobody right in this whole equation. Owner / Son / Father. Adding jury nullification to the mix is not the answer. As said above, the DA should cut a decent deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom