OT - Zion Williamson terrorizing Duke students | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Zion Williamson terrorizing Duke students

Start that! Or just any pick up stories in general.

I got clothes lined once in an organized Y league. And I mean LITERALLY, purposely clothes lined. NO FOUL CALLED.

What happened was it was my first time signing up and figured, due to past experience, I should sign up for the C division. Little did I know that was for the "old guys". I'm 31 with juice left in the tank so I had a pretty easy time getting around guys to score. Guy had had enough I suppose. I knew something wasn't right if I was able to carry my team to a "championship". To date I've had like 2 winning seasons of organized basketball going back to elementary school. Basically the Sacto Kings from 05 to current. Needless to say I went up a division next session.

I was never much of a basketball player (5'6" 145 at 18yo). Stopped playing organized hoops when I got to high school and stuck to football. But I enjoyed pickup games and held my own, pretty much on conditioning/athleticism alone. Didn't (still don't) have a jumper.

Anyway, I got fat and lazy practically as soon as college started. Fast forward to 25 years old and I found myself losing to 14 year olds at the Y. Not even the big, 24/7 basketball playing 14 year olds. The standard ones. Lost a lot of respect for myself lol [cries inside].

The rare times I get on the court now, I look for a similarly short-ish fat-ish guy and hope we can just chill at the 3 point line and launch bricks. Almost took a swing at a guy who missed with an intentional elbow because he didn't like that I wasn't just letting him back me down in the paint. Decided instead to politely tell him to never do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, agreed. I was being sarcastic towards the seemingly more common thinking that players should sit everything out so they don’t get hurt.
Sorry. I had my sarcasm detector turned off.

Start that! Or just any pick up stories in general.

I got clothes lined once in an organized Y league. And I mean LITERALLY, purposely clothes lined. NO FOUL CALLED.

What happened was it was my first time signing up and figured, due to past experience, I should sign up for the C division. Little did I know that was for the "old guys". I'm 31 with juice left in the tank so I had a pretty easy time getting around guys to score. Guy had had enough I suppose. I knew something wasn't right if I was able to carry my team to a "championship". To date I've had like 2 winning seasons of organized basketball going back to elementary school. Basically the Sacto Kings from 05 to current. Needless to say I went up a division next session.
At Archibold, I had some yahoo pick me up, full court. As I went around him he (accidentally) stepped on my foot, anchoring it to the court. Something had to give, and it was some ankle ligaments.

i want a worst pickup basketball experience thread

i am not good, never was. 5'10, not a good ball handler, takes forever to get my shot off. but i was fast at one point.

so at the Y, i beat the other guys down the floor and had a layup but i knew a guy who played in college was trying to run me down and block it. i slow down and pump fake and he goes flying out of bounds and i take my sweet time laying it in and everyone laughs at him

i try to hide on defense but he is on to me, somehow I end up on him and he tom chambers me two knees on my shoulders, dunks over me as i fall down. my feet were set for about oh 40 seconds but no one seemed to care and i kept my mouth shut

it's never good to embarrass people a million times better.

Read the replies, too.

Mike Williams (the WR) dunked on me in Archbold during an intramural game when the other team didn’t have enough players. He was a freak athlete.
Mike Waters did the same to me...:p

Read the replies, too.

A fan of Shea? One of my all time favs:
The NBA Fan’s Guide to Talking Trash During Pickup Basketball

Actually, it has a Syracuse reference:
This one, though, from Colin Maxwell, a student at Syracuse, was my favorite:

“One time I had a big guy guarding me and he rejected my weak layup attempt. As I ran back on defense he said to me, real quiet, ‘I’m gonna ******* eat you, homey,’ and lemme tell you, I was rattled.”

Last edited:
A fan of Shea? One of my all time favs:
The NBA Fan’s Guide to Talking Trash During Pickup Basketball

Actually, it has a Syracuse reference:
This one, though, from Colin Maxwell, a student at Syracuse, was my favorite:

“One time I had a big guy guarding me and he rejected my weak layup attempt. As I ran back on defense he said to me, real quiet, ‘I’m gonna ******* eat you, homey,’ and lemme tell you, I was rattled.”

Love Shea... So funny.

I was playing 4 on 4 against a team with Chris Sease. Highlight of my brief, ignominious basketball career. I scored one basket on a long hook shot over Sease. After a lot of gentle ribbing, he looked at me and said, "Never again." He was right.

Two moments highlight my awful rec basketball play. One in college when I played with a group of guys aged 20-50. I was the former. Tons of energy, chased an older guy down on defense and went airborne to block the shot. He stopped and ducked low. I flipped over and broke my elbow on the fall (note to pride - I drove stick with that elbow to the ER)!

Several years later I’m playing at a gym on the UVA campus. Faked a guy into jumping and drove past him to the bucket. “Nice fake kid” says Howie Long standing there watching. I thought that was great but shortly after that he and his flunkies just sort of wandered onto the court and started playing while we were playing. .

Man I miss those days. Playing hoops for a couple hours on a weeknight, and your body didn't hurt at all afterwards.

When your knees still allowed you to jump...and run.

could use the highlight w/o the crappy music

I remember an intramural team at Archbold where Mel Tuten play PG (who was going to take a charge on him??!!), and he would just drive the lane or throw alley oops to Kevin Mason cutting in from the wing. Not a thing we could do.

I remember an intramural team at Archbold where Mel Tuten play PG (who was going to take a charge on him??!!), and he would just drive the lane or throw alley oops to Kevin Mason cutting in from the wing. Not a thing we could do.
i wonder if girard will play intramural football. bunch of hungover doofuses show up and some guy who could play d1 qb throwing all over the field.

Read the replies, too.

speaking of that, andrew robinson may have looked slow as molasses on the football field, but i saw him play a pick up basketball game - phenomenal athlete. 2 hand dunking with ease.

also - in regards to worst pickup game.

my very unathletic buddy (honestly a good comparison for him is darren rovell - a nice jewish grandmother has more athleticism) got caught up in a pick up game the year after the championship. trob, watkins, hak, jeremy mcneil and maybe 1 or 2 more cuse players with a few scrubs playing too.

my unathletic buddy takes ONE shot and jeremy mcneil stops and screams at him "pass me the *king ball corey matthews!!!"

if you dont know who corey matthews is:

cory-matthews.jpg

I was playing 4 on 4 against a team with Chris Sease. Highlight of my brief, ignominious basketball career. I scored one basket on a long hook shot over Sease. After a lot of gentle ribbing, he looked at me and said, "Never again." He was right.

Those moments are priceless.

When your knees still allowed you to jump...and run.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but somehow 20 years have gone since I was last "acceptable" looking if I were a single guy, and it's been 30 years since I was truly "fit". I doubt I could jog out of the way of an oncoming bus, now! LOL

Sucks getting old, and it happens a lot faster than you'd ever believe.

I was the kind of lunkhead jock who broke my ankle one time when I was still a runner in college and just thought it was a sprain and kept competing through it. Very high tolerance of pain.

I played rec league basketball and could still take a 5 mile run at 8-10 minutes a mile until I broke my ankle again when I was 29, and then upon returning blew out my knee by overdoing it playing too hard later that same summer.

That was 30 years ago. I started going to law school at night while I worked in NYC during the day the fall after that injury. My daughter was born 4 years later.

Fifteen years ago, I fell on black ice and partially tore my right rotator cuff, so now I can't throw and I can't bowl any more. Plus, I messed up the same knee again, the left one.

Oh, and neuropathy in my feet for the last 20 years. And fibromyalgia the last 15 years.

And some people wonder why I'm buzzed all the time! Because *everything* hurts.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hate to say it, but somehow 20 years have gone since I was last "acceptable" looking if I were a single guy, and it's been 30 years since I was truly "fit". I doubt I could jog out of the way of an oncoming bus, now! LOL

Sucks getting old, and it happens a lot faster than you'd ever believe.

I was the kind of lunkhead jock who broke my ankle one time when I was still a runner in college and just thought it was a sprain and kept competing through it. Very high tolerance of pain.

I played rec league basketball and could still take a 5 mile run at 8-10 minutes a mile until I broke my ankle again when I was 29, and then upon returning blew out my knee by overdoing it playing too hard later that same summer.

That was 30 years ago. I started going to law school at night while I worked in NYC during the day the fall after that injury. My daughter was born 4 years later.

Fifteen years ago, I fell on black ice and partially tore my right rotator cuff, so now I can't throw and I can't bowl any more. Plus, I messed up the same knee again, the left one.

Oh, and neuropathy in my feet for the last 20 years. And fibromyalgia the last 15 years.

And some people wonder why I'm buzzed all the time! Because *everything* hurts.

I'm 49, have had three knee surgeries. The last one was about 8 years ago. Ortho Surgeon told me post-op "I had to bring in another doctor to look at your knees. I've never seen anything like them. You have the knees of a 70 year old." I still squat and deadlift but any running or jumping and my knees will be in pain for a week.

speaking of that, andrew robinson may have looked slow as molasses on the football field, but i saw him play a pick up basketball game - phenomenal athlete. 2 hand dunking with ease.

also - in regards to worst pickup game.

my very unathletic buddy (honestly a good comparison for him is darren rovell - a nice jewish grandmother has more athleticism) got caught up in a pick up game the year after the championship. trob, watkins, hak, jeremy mcneil and maybe 1 or 2 more cuse players with a few scrubs playing too.

my unathletic buddy takes ONE shot and jeremy mcneil stops and screams at him "pass me the *king ball corey matthews!!!"

if you dont know who corey matthews is:

cory-matthews.jpg
i have a whole new respect for jeremy mcneil now - this story and "shlt looked good" confirm that he's funny

the long hook shot - the go to low percentage shot for average height people who can't get around anyone and can't shoot but thinks godd@mmit i'm sick of never shooting, thudding off the corner of the backboard 80% of the time - i know this feeling

I'm 49, have had three knee surgeries. The last one was about 8 years ago. Ortho Surgeon told me post-op "I had to bring in another doctor to look at your knees. I've never seen anything like them. You have the knees of a 70 year old." I still squat and deadlift but any running or jumping and my knees will be in pain for a week.
if you didn't respond with Doc you should see my b@lls you missed a golden opportunity

health care guy here who treats lots of knees everyday. STOP squats! Any of you dudes over 40, unless you're a real competitive runner/running your whole life and live for it, stop running! Walk fast, rollerblade, treadmill, elliptical, etc. Remember smooth rhythmical and symetrical. EVERY dang day I see someone who has good intentions with exercise to get in shape, I see them for their dang knee, hip, ankle and/or back pain.

You guys are good for my business so I guess I should shut up, but seriously it ridiculous how literally every dang day I'm having this conversation with my patient base. If ya just can't give it up at least supplement with the supportive joint supplements out there today (glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM/cetylmyerostoleate/hyluronic acid/fish oil, etc. They at least help a little.

Ok there's my unsolicited advice for the day...I'm literally off right now to treat 3 knees, two hips, and 20 some back issues.

health care guy here who treats lots of knees everyday. STOP squats! Any of you dudes over 40, unless you're a real competitive runner/running your whole life and live for it, stop running! Walk fast, rollerblade, treadmill, elliptical, etc. Remember smooth rhythmical and symetrical. EVERY dang day I see someone who has good intentions with exercise to get in shape, I see them for their dang knee, hip, ankle and/or back pain.

You guys are good for my business so I guess I should shut up, but seriously it ridiculous how literally every dang day I'm having this conversation with my patient base. If ya just can't give it up at least supplement with the supportive joint supplements out there today (glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM/cetylmyerostoleate/hyluronic acid/fish oil, etc. They at least help a little.

Ok there's my unsolicited advice for the day...I'm literally off right now to treat 3 knees, two hips, and 20 some back issues.
fish oil is great if you need to be celibate forever - i took one fish oil pill and the smell of my burps caused a nuclear winter for the rest of the day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom