Other Conference Tourneys Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Other Conference Tourneys Thread

Bryant is so fun to watch. Grasso is going to get a solid job soon.

11 min into the WCC Final and Gonzaga looks like it's going through the motions. Completely disinterested. Bums me out cuz I want them riding high in the NCAAT so I can bet the ranch against them. Think they're wildly overrated.

11 min into the WCC Final and Gonzaga looks like it's going through the motions. Completely disinterested. Bums me out cuz I want them riding high in the NCAAT so I can bet the ranch against them. Think they're wildly overrated.

What makes you say they are wildly overrated? What teams do you think are better than them? They have 2 top 15 picks and a great college player in Drew Timme.

They have won 1 game by single digits and beat 4 teams ranked 16 or better.

Last edited:
What makes you say they are wildly overrated? What teams do you think are better than them? They have 2 top 15 picks and a great college player in Drew Timme.

They played some good teams three months ago. They've largely played complete stiffs (other than BYU) for the last 10 weeks while teams from the Big 12 and Big 10 have been having rock fights nearly every time out. I think that matters. I like Suggs, he's the real deal but Timme and Kispert are overrated. JMO.

When I say Gonzaga is overrated you have to understand it's from an odds perspective. They're + 250 to win it all. That's almost like some of the great UK teams in terms of odds. They're not that dominant.

I love Baylor, I think they're the best team in the country. If they play each other and I'm getting points then I can't push that button fast enough. Illinois and Michigan would have a good shot as well. This is one and done and all three of these teams play a tougher brand of defense than Gonzaga imo.

They played some good teams three months ago. They've largely played complete stiffs (other than BYU) for the last 10 weeks while teams from the Big 12 and Big 10 have been having rock fights nearly every time out. I think that matters. I like Suggs, he's the real deal but Timme and Kispert are overrated. JMO.

When I say Gonzaga is overrated you have to understand it's from an odds perspective. They're + 250 to win it all. That's almost like some of the great UK teams in terms of odds. They're not that dominant.

I love Baylor, I think they're the best team in the country. If they play each other and I'm getting points then I can't push that button fast enough. Illinois and Michigan would have a good shot as well. This is one and done and all three of these teams play a tougher brand of defense than Gonzaga imo.

Gotcha, that makes more sense. Originally I took your comment to mean there are a bunch of teams better than Gonzaga. I can definitely see Michigan, Baylor or Illinois winning it all. I think Gonzaga is the best team in the country, but I understand what you're saying in regards to betting odds.

Btw Baylor has seven wins over teams in the Net top 25. And they have only three single digit wins and two of those (along with their loss to KU) came after a lengthy covid pause. The other noticeable thing is that despite playing a weaker schedule, Gonzaga routinely gives up points in the 70s and 80s and are on their way to giving up 80+ tonight against BYU. That level of defense won't cut it in the NCAAT after the first weekend.

Cincy after Mick Cronin ... gonzo.

Siena vs Iona at 5 pm today. Siena is the one seed but is 0-10 all time in the MAAC tournament vs Iona. Wish it was televised. If Pitino wins today he would probably be favored to win out this week and get back to the dance.

Btw Baylor has seven wins over teams in the Net top 25. And they have only three single digit wins and two of those (along with their loss to KU) came after a lengthy covid pause. The other noticeable thing is that despite playing a weaker schedule, Gonzaga routinely gives up points in the 70s and 80s and are on their way to giving up 80+ tonight against BYU. That level of defense won't cut it in the NCAAT after the first weekend.

Gonzaga gives up a lot of points, but part of that is due to the pace they play at. They rank 1st in offensive efficiency and 4th in adjusted tempo. They actually rank 11th in the country in defensive efficiency, so points given up can be very misleading. The efficiency ratings are adjusted for opponents as well. Baylor meanwhile, is 32nd in defensive efficiency (still very good), but only 191st in tempo, so they play at a much slower pace.

Gonzaga gives up a lot of points, but part of that is due to the pace they play at. They rank 1st in offensive efficiency and 4th in adjusted tempo. They actually rank 11th in the country in defensive efficiency, so points given up can be very misleading. The efficiency ratings are adjusted for opponents as well. Baylor meanwhile, is 32nd in defensive efficiency (still very good), but only 191st in tempo, so they play at a much slower pace.

I appreciate the Zags' excellent offensive capabilities but they're nowhere near the same level as Baylor from a defensive standpoint. Let's put it this way - Baylor rarely allows more than 70 points and yet they've played a far tougher schedule than Gonzaga. I understand the pace of play aspect but Baylor has dudes that are covering you when u get off the bus. Gonzaga just doesn't play that way. And Baylor's pace of play isn't that slow. They can get out and run. But this is the beauty of the NCAA tournament. We'll find out who's for real and who isn't.

One other point. Last night BYU missed a ton of wide open threes that cost them an opportunity to win that game. If Gonzaga allows a team like Baylor to shoot those threes (team shoots 42% from three) they're going to have a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom