Other Conference Tourneys Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Other Conference Tourneys Thread

I appreciate the Zags' excellent offensive capabilities but they're nowhere near the same level as Baylor from a defensive standpoint. Let's put it this way - Baylor rarely allows more than 70 points and yet they've played a far tougher schedule than Gonzaga. I understand the pace of play aspect but Baylor has dudes that are covering you when u get off the bus. Gonzaga just doesn't play that way. And Baylor's pace of play isn't that slow. They can get out and run. But this is the beauty of the NCAA tournament. We'll find out who's for real and who isn't.

One other point. Last night BYU missed a ton of wide open threes that cost them an opportunity to win that game. If Gonzaga allows a team like Baylor to shoot those threes (team shoots 42% from three) they're going to have a problem.
That’s just not true... but narrative

Btw Baylor has seven wins over teams in the Net top 25. And they have only three single digit wins and two of those (along with their loss to KU) came after a lengthy covid pause. The other noticeable thing is that despite playing a weaker schedule, Gonzaga routinely gives up points in the 70s and 80s and are on their way to giving up 80+ tonight against BYU. That level of defense won't cut it in the NCAAT after the first weekend.
Gonzaga’s ADJUSTED defense efficiency is 21 spots higher than Baylor’s. Stop

That’s just not true... but narrative
LOL. Other than BYU, Gonzaga hasn't played anybody remotely in the top 50 in more than 2-1/2 months. Meanwhile Baylor has had nine such games. You'd have to twist yourself into one helluva pretzel to come up with the logic that Gonzaga has played a tougher schedule than Baylor.

West Coast Conf (ex Gonzaga) out of conference 56-34

Big 12 (ex Baylor) OOC 54-17

Uh I think the B-12 might be a little better than the WCC.

I appreciate the Zags' excellent offensive capabilities but they're nowhere near the same level as Baylor from a defensive standpoint. Let's put it this way - Baylor rarely allows more than 70 points and yet they've played a far tougher schedule than Gonzaga. I understand the pace of play aspect but Baylor has dudes that are covering you when u get off the bus. Gonzaga just doesn't play that way. And Baylor's pace of play isn't that slow. They can get out and run. But this is the beauty of the NCAA tournament. We'll find out who's for real and who isn't.

One other point. Last night BYU missed a ton of wide open threes that cost them an opportunity to win that game. If Gonzaga allows a team like Baylor to shoot those threes (team shoots 42% from three) they're going to have a problem.

Keep in mind though, the efficiency numbers adjust for opponent. Baylor is lethal from 3. There is literally no 1 like them. I have no doubt they can beat Gonzaga. I also have no doubt Gonzaga can beat them. In my opinion, they are the best 2 teams in the country.

Keep in mind though, the efficiency numbers adjust for opponent. Baylor is lethal from 3. There is literally no 1 like them. I have no doubt they can beat Gonzaga. I also have no doubt Gonzaga can beat them. In my opinion, they are the best 2 teams in the country.

I hear ya. I'm just naturally suspicious of many of these metrics. A little bit like the old RPI which was just a steaming pile of sheet but yet the NCAAT committee was slavishly devoted to it. When somebody tries to tell me that Gonzaga has played a tougher schedule or plays better defense than Baylor it just doesn't make sense to me. Particularly the schedule thing.

I agree that each could beat the other and I also think there are several other teams that could beat these two as well. It's one and done and crazy stuff happens. The discrepancies aren't that wide.

As you know, the "overrated" comment was related to gambling odds. I just don't see Gonzaga being as dominant as the odds indicate. I also think the Zags weak schedule over the last 2-1/2 months is gonna bite them in the @ss in a few weeks. Let's see how they react in a tight, physical game.

Crazy to think where the tournament could be in a few years.

Instead of seeding 32 with a bye give 48 a bye and have the other other 16 teams get doubled to the 32 in a play-in.

Siena didn’t score from around 8:30 until there was 19 seconds left. Brutal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom