Other than TCU, who has benefitted from the recent round | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Other than TCU, who has benefitted from the recent round

Lax is going to be supercharged, expect overall attendence to double, and conference games to average at least 10K.

I agree that there's room to grow with football (and that it likely will - while the ACC isn't more attractive across the board, the top half of the league features much better draws than any Big East opponent).

But lacrosse is at a ceiling. The sport is growing; the team will never be as dominant as it was in the last three decades. And I can't see any attendance bump, much less 100%. We already play many of these teams. The product isn't going to be substantially different. There are only so many Central New Yorkers who want to watch SU lacrosse games in person.

To the original post, Utah is the only answer, and I don't think it's close. Regardless of how likely the Big East's demise is, only two teams - TCU and Utah - went from have-nots to haves with the conference switch.

WVU is the winner after 'Cuse afterall!

WVU fans -- at least many of them -- seem far too preoccupied with dreaming up scenario's that envision damaging the ACC to be called winners. I think many of them worry about the long-term effect of playing on an island 1200 miles from their dustbowl compatriots. I don't blame them. If WVU doesn't get some closer company within the next few years I think you begin to see a repeat of the Boston College syndrome.

I agree that there's room to grow with football (and that it likely will - while the ACC isn't more attractive across the board, the top half of the league features much better draws than any Big East opponent).

But lacrosse is at a ceiling. The sport is growing; the team will never be as dominant as it was in the last three decades. And I can't see any attendance bump, much less 100%. We already play many of these teams. The product isn't going to be substantially different. There are only so many Central New Yorkers who want to watch SU lacrosse games in person.

To the original post, Utah is the only answer, and I don't think it's close. Regardless of how likely the Big East's demise is, only two teams - TCU and Utah - went from have-nots to haves with the conference switch.

I agree with everything you said. Additionally, I cant see lax as a revenue generating sport. What do you have, like 30-40 kids on the roster, with schollies, travel, per diems, equipment, etc.? I know SU is elite and gets some big time games, but Lax obviously doesnt drive thing the way hoops and football due (vice versa really). Honestly, in 80% of the country, its still just niche/novelty sport.

As for Utah, dont forget they are second fiddle to BYU in Utah. Now they align themselves with one of the top all sports conference, with a forward thinking commission, and expanding population base (unlike the Big Ten), and several prestigious research universities (UCLA, CAL, Washington, Stanford, USC). Simply put, Utah is the winner in every way imaginable.

I agree with everything you said. Additionally, I cant see lax as a revenue generating sport. What do you have, like 30-40 kids on the roster, with schollies, travel, per diems, equipment, etc.? I know SU is elite and gets some big time games, but Lax obviously doesnt drive thing the way hoops and football due (vice versa really). Honestly, in 80% of the country, its still just niche/novelty sport.

As for Utah, dont forget they are second fiddle to BYU in Utah. Now they align themselves with one of the top all sports conference, with a forward thinking commission, and expanding population base (unlike the Big Ten), and several prestigious research universities (UCLA, CAL, Washington, Stanford, USC). Simply put, Utah is the winner in every way imaginable.

Agree on both. Even as lacrosse grows from a niche sport (and I don't think it's becoming mainstream - just moving from a small niche to a larger niche), Syracuse's dominance is a thing of the past. [And they lost this diehard fan for at least the near-term with that absurd Kevin Drew situation last year.] I can't see anything happening that would get our 6,000/game average to increase, much less double.

As for Utah, it's still incredible to me that they're in a major conference. They're like a mid-major, only with major public funding and newly-introduced to a prestigious athletic and (with a couple exceptions) academic group. They won the lottery. Good on them.

A ton of head room for ticket sales? I'm not hearing that at all.
When you are averaging 40K in a 49K stadium, you have head room.

When you are averaging 40K in a 49K stadium, you have head room.

Interpreted that as in ticket sales were making head wind. Lol... ok we're on the same page, sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom