Otto Porter | Syracusefan.com

Otto Porter

CiceroCuse

Scout Team
For anyone that thinks a "cant miss" college kid can struggle in the NBA, look at Otto Porter. Last year he was a stud and pretty much took it to us when we played them last year. He was labeled a future all-star when he was drafted #3 overall. Now its way too early to say he is a bust or anything like that, but here is a guy who was physically ready to compete in the NBA and had a game that would translate. He has played a total of 47 minutes in the last 3 months for a mediocre at best Wizards team. He pretty much gets one more year to figure it out or he will be an afterthought. Granted he is getting paid while he figures it out, but when you are not even physically ready to compete like TE or JG that 2 year clock is going to wind down in a blink of an eye.

Not a good comparison because 1. Washington's HC is coaching for the present to save his job and doesn't play Porter of his defense. 2. This year's rookie class sucked MCW. Trey Burke. Oladipo, and the Greek freak are the only decent rookies this year.
Grant has the athleticism to play defense next year. Porter needs to get quicker to guard NBA SFs he is the opposite of Grant who needs to work on his offensive game.

He had injuries and players playing career years that were getting the minutes when he was injured

Otto porter was very far from a can't miss nba player.

Anyone drafted #3 overall is considered as close to a can't miss as there is. Last year, JB called Porter the best small forward in the history of the BE. That's kind of can't miss all by itself. No matter what the excuses for why he's not playing it's all blah blah because the point is he's not playing and his prospects don't look great. And, he was physically ready and his skills were there. When JB says most, if not all, of those college players who come out early don't understand how difficult it is to get on the floor in the NBA he knows what he's talking about. Too bad the rock head parents and players don't listen.

When JB says most, if not all, of those college players who come out early don't understand how difficult it is to get on the floor in the NBA he knows what he's talking about. Too bad the rock head parents and players don't listen.

Fortunately for Grant, his relatives can speak from personal experience in this regard.

Not a good comparison because 1. Washington's HC is coaching for the present to save his job and doesn't play Porter of his defense. 2. This year's rookie class sucked MCW. Trey Burke. Oladipo, and the Greek freak are the only decent rookies this year.
Grant has the athleticism to play defense next year. Porter needs to get quicker to guard NBA SFs he is the opposite of Grant who needs to work on his offensive game.

In the NBA, if you can't score, you can't play, with only a few exceptions. Is it important you can guard someone? Of course. But if you can't put the ball in the net, forget it. Hopefully, he fills out like his dad and uncle did to become more forceful in the paint.

Fortunately for Grant, his relatives can speak from personal experience in this regard.

Absolutely. That's why it's hard to understand if he goes but you've got to figure they know what they're doing.

Otto porter was very far from a can't miss nba player.

He was the guy everyone was saying was "ready to contribute right away".

Maybe not "can't miss" as far as being a superstar. But he was definitely considered "can't miss" to at least become a solid role player.

That said, he was hurt most of the year with hip issues.

hey let's get fab,donte and jonny 3 season ticket seats right behind our bench. a cautionary tale if you will.

Last edited:
Most on this Board last year said MCW wasn't physically ready to play. Most said he was to skinny and couldn't get to the rim against more physical NBA players. So this Otto Porter argument doesn't seem to hold water You can't judge a player based on his physical stature

In the NBA, if you can't score, you can't play, with only a few exceptions. Is it important you can guard someone? Of course. But if you can't put the ball in the net, forget it. Hopefully, he fills out like his dad and uncle did to become more forceful in the paint.
NBA coaches want players that can play defense first then offense especially rookies. Grant's offense isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. I mean the kid isn't the worst shooter of all-time he is average and will get better in the NBA or in college.

Hard to feel sorry for these kids. Hope its spending well otto. "Its my dream to play on the nba". Lol. Gimme a break

Last year, JB called Porter the best small forward in the history of the BE.
178819-whaaaat.jpg

Reggie Williams
Billy Owens
Walter Berry
Carmelo

I'm sure there are others... but I think JB is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on this one.

Good thing he declared for the draft when he did and was picked when he was.

Hard to feel sorry for these kids. Hope its spending well otto. "Its my dream to play on the nba". Lol. Gimme a break

Every kid we recruit has one dream. And it's not to lead Syracuse to a national championship.

Good thing he declared for the draft when he did and was picked when he was.
Otto, shouldn't you... I dunno... recuse yourself from this thread? I'm really torn here.

I love it when Francis agrees with the fact that Otto wasn't a "can't miss" prospect and everyone tries to usurp his opinion.

178819-whaaaat.jpg

Reggie Williams
Billy Owens
Walter Berry
Carmelo

I'm sure there are others... but I think JB is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on this one.
Neither Melo nor Berry was a pure SF. Both combo 3-4's.

I love it when Francis agrees with the fact that Otto wasn't a "can't miss" prospect and everyone tries to usurp his opinion.

What's even stranger then is why the NBA drafted him 3rd though and guaranteed him well over $4M a year. I just looked and didn't realize that he was only 198 lbs at 6'9" - that's pretty darn thin. He looked more solid.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteot01.html

Neither Melo nor Berry was a pure SF. Both combo 3-4's.
From Otto's bio sketch at Draft Express:

"Sliding over to the power forward position full time in mid-January once Greg Whittington became academically ineligible may have had something to do with this, but he's clearly improved the quickness of his release and is shooting the ball with more consistent mechanics than he did in the past, which is also reflected in his improved free throw percentages (70.2% as a freshman, 77.7% as a sophomore)."

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Otto-Porter-6528/

IIRC Porter was used in the post (more like a 4) quite often in his last season. He's not a slasher and doesn't have a handle that lets him blow by defenders. If anything he's more of a point forward in light of his passing ability / floor generalship, and was certainly used as a combo 3-4 by GTown. Comparison to Melo, Berry et al. is valid IMO.

From Otto's bio sketch at Draft Express:

"Sliding over to the power forward position full time in mid-January once Greg Whittington became academically ineligible may have had something to do with this, but he's clearly improved the quickness of his release and is shooting the ball with more consistent mechanics than he did in the past, which is also reflected in his improved free throw percentages (70.2% as a freshman, 77.7% as a sophomore)."

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Otto-Porter-6528/

IIRC Porter was used in the post (more like a 4) quite often in his last season. He's not a slasher and doesn't have a handle that lets him blow by defenders. If anything he's more of a point forward in light of his passing ability / floor generalship, and was certainly used as a combo 3-4 by GTown. Comparison to Melo, Berry et al. is valid IMO.
As college players, there is no comparison between the post skills of Melo and Berry vs. Porter. I remember specifically the game vs. ND in the Dome (McNamara with a late 3). We were in a deep hole in the second half. Melo went to the post and was fed, I swear, 5 straight times down the floor. He converted or went to the line each time.

Just based on the GT offense, if nothing else, Porter seldom played the classical PF on offense.

And, since going to the pros, Melo has had some of his best success as an undersized 4. Not to mention his PF work in the Olympics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom