Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Barring a miracle in the next 3 weeks, Red’s season 1 is looking like a bust, or at least underperformed against fans’ expectations.

Looking ahead to next year I believe he must make the NCAA Tournament. The program can’t continue to produce mediocre results year after year. We’re slipping as a national program. Falling with the likes of Indiana and Georgetown into the oblivion of has-beens.

Question is, do you give Red a third year if he fails to make the NCAAT next year?

Even if he gets a third year, if he doesn’t make the tournament by his third year there’s no chance he gets a 4th.

You should take the advice I'm giving myself which is don't post anything for 2 days. There is literally nothing good to say after this game.
Yet you posted..

FWIW, there’s nothing wrong with my post. Season 1 (making the NCAAT) officially ended tonight. It’s okay to question the future. Red will be here next year. How long should he have to turn the program around? Right now it’s just looking like a continuation of JAB’a last few seasons of mediocrity.

I would say that a lot likely depends on his and his staff’s ability to acquire talent. Like we are seeing in football, with the yearly turnover of rosters, getting the players necessary to make his system work is critical. Having our first McDonalds AA in forever is a nice start. A legit starter or two from the portal would go a long way in making us a contender in the conference and prolonging his tenure.

Yet you posted..

FWIW, there’s nothing wrong with my post. Season 1 (making the NCAAT) officially ended tonight. It’s okay to question the future. Red will be here next year. How long should he have to turn the program around? Right now it’s just looking like a continuation of JAB’a last few seasons of mediocrity.
5 years is what a coach should be given. Imagine if Uconn canned Hurley after year 3? He didn’t make tourney first two years at the helm. This season certainly not a bust. Lot of flaws but a bust would have been winning 10 games.

5 years is what a coach should be given. Imagine if Uconn canned Hurley after year 3? He didn’t make tourney first two years at the helm. This season certainly not a bust. Lot of flaws but a bust would have been winning 10 games.
5 years to do what? Because I cannot imagine going 4 more years without making the NCAA tournament, especially after the steady decline over the last 9 years.

That’s not true. 5 years with the wrong coach is a death sentence, especially a first time coach. Hurley had proven success at two different stops as a head coach. Autry has not. If there are no signs of progress but the end of next year, the seat is hot for year 3. As it should be.

All I will say about Red and this team it better look a whole lot different next year if he wants to make it past year 3. Roster, Coaching, Game Planning, Adjustments all of it needs to be drastically improved.

Sorry for Red his first job comes with high expectations but those are the breaks.

That’s not true. 5 years with the wrong coach is a death sentence, especially a first time coach. Hurley had proven success at two different stops as a head coach. Autry has not. If there are no signs of progress but the end of next year, the seat is hot for year 3. As it should be.
What did you honestly expect for wins for a first year head coach? Yeah and Hurley’s early success equated to a 16-17 record in year one and 19-12 in year 2 so your point isn’t too good there. Red just got a top 10 recruit that they haven’t had in ages. Everyone breathe lol

The team only has underperformed if your expectations were incorrect from the start.

We are Syracuse the expectations are to be competitive within the conference and make the tournament every year. PERIOD I will not change my expectations for the program ever. If it is a talent problem then FIX it.

How can you put the blame on Red when a lot of these players were due to JB's fault of not getting his butt out on the recruiting trail and instead sitting at home watching Golden Girls.

Red's got to clean house with a bunch of these guys next year and hit the portal hard. Quality Center and a true PG are what we need. So sick of this, let's get a 2G and turn him into the next Pearl Washington. It hasn't worked for years outside of Mike Gbinije. Judah ain't no PG. Last good PG was Tyler Ennis and that's YEARS ago.

Thank goodness we finally have a decent recruiter in Branden S. too. He was a nice hire by Red.

Again, this all depends on the individual fan’s expectations.

There’s no way in hell the entire fanbase expected an NCAA tourney run this year.

In my personal opinion, that would have been an overly optimistic expectation. Certainly was not mine.

How can you put the blame on Red when a lot of these players were due to JB's fault of not getting his butt out on the recruiting trail and instead sitting at home watching Golden Girls.

Red's got to clean house with a bunch of these guys next year and hit the portal hard. Quality Center and a true PG are what we need. So sick of this, let's get a 2G and turn him into the next Pearl Washington. It hasn't worked for years outside of Mike Gbinije. Judah ain't no PG. Last good PG was Tyler Ennis and that's YEARS ago.

Thank goodness we finally have a decent recruiter in Branden S. too. He was a nice hire by Red.

Which is why this offseason is incredibly important for Red. Need to bring in 2 starters and 1 bench player who can contribute at least.

If JB wasn't out recruiting, then who do you think is responsible for this mess?

What did you honestly expect for wins for a first year head coach? Yeah and Hurley’s early success equated to a 16-17 record in year one and 19-12 in year 2 so your point isn’t too good there. Red just got a top 10 recruit that they haven’t had in ages. Everyone breathe lol
I just hope he instills some discipline. You certainly can't think that aspect has been good.

I think some of you are very delusional what you think this program is success wise. I’m a big as fan and supporter as anyone, but I’m a realistic fan. This conference has been tough for the team… red knows what he needs to do trust me. He’s not oblivious. I expected and would have been happy with .500 season. I treat this season as a moderate success

Hurley's 1rst 2 years pre-date covid, NIL, and the relaxed transfer rules. If Red can't field a (non bubble) tourney team next year, SU needs to seriously consider a change. Otherwise we are in danger of becoming georgetown post JT: occasionally good, mostly mediocre, generally irrelevant.

maybe you forgot...It's Red and his staff's fault that the injuries happened and that Benny still acts like a pentulent child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom