Our crying need. A true center! | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Our crying need. A true center!

First, I like Maliq a lot. Exactly what do you envision what PF Syracuse needs or must have? Malik is an excellent player but is not a 12-15 point a game player, at least not in the current offense that is being employed. We need a guaranteed player that can lead in rebounding (10-12 rebounds) and provide decent scoring 10-15 points a game) and play hard on the defensive end.

Maliq can do all that now but needs help on rebounding and on defense meaning he can not be the single or only one in this role. As we all know He needs on the court support. Freeman will help but Bell nor Taylor are not. Syracuse has to get away from the single point of attack (aka Judah) and have more players involved in the offense. Whenever the ball goes up, at least 2-3 players (not only 1) need to crash the boards.

If Brown plays 15min at the 4 and Freeman plays 25min at the 4 I think you are going to be getting 20/10 ish out of that position which is great. If we bring in a quality big guy and have Carey/Patterson for emergency usage then I'd be more concerned about bringing in another forward who can shoot than another PF. That said I think #1 priority is a PG who can start from day one. Then a Center as described. After that offensive punch at the wing who is a proven shooter.

PG Portal/Q
SG JJ/Cuffe/Moore
SF Bell/Q
PF Freeman/Brown
C Brown/Portal/whoever stays

I think you have to hope for the best with Westry but plan for him not playing at all. If he's taking someone else's minutes at the 1,2,3 that's likely a good problem to have.

We forgot Hima

The fact that Red didnt put either him or Carey in against Clemson for a hail mary attempt on Defense to stop getting abused inside, tells me they cant seriously be in next years plans.

Hima is injured.
Also, walked w Seniors, so he gone.

Carey - I forget if he was still injured, or if he’s sick.

Anyway, them not getting in vs Clempsum means nada.

If Brown plays 15min at the 4 and Freeman plays 25min at the 4 I think you are going to be getting 20/10 ish out of that position which is great. If we bring in a quality big guy and have Carey/Patterson for emergency usage then I'd be more concerned about bringing in another forward who can shoot than another PF. That said I think #1 priority is a PG who can start from day one. Then a Center as described. After that offensive punch at the wing who is a proven shooter.

PG Portal/Q
SG JJ/Cuffe/Moore
SF Bell/Q
PF Freeman/Brown
C Brown/Portal/whoever stays

I think you have to hope for the best with Westry but plan for him not playing at all. If he's taking someone else's minutes at the 1,2,3 that's likely a good problem to have.

Here's the problem... We're a team that is best when the offense is in transition... and if you take the ACC's leading turnover creator on defense (Malik) and cut him from 40 minutes a game to 15 minutes, we darn well better be able to make up lost points in transition offense elsewhere.

Here's the problem... We're a team that is best when the offense is in transition... and if you take the ACC's leading turnover creator on defense (Malik) and cut him from 40 minutes a game to 15 minutes, we darn well better be able to make up lost points in transition offense elsewhere.

You seem to be missing the time Maliq will still be playing at the 5.
Call it 15 at the 4, 20 at the 5.
There’s your 35 mins for him.

Donnie gets 25 mins at the 4.

Some non-Maliq big(s) get the other 20 mins at the 5.

IF we land a competent C from the portal, then maybe Maliq “only” plays 15 there too, for 30 total.

You seem to be missing the time Maliq will still be playing at the 5.
Call it 15 at the 4, 20 at the 5.
There’s your 35 mins for him.

Donnie gets 25 mins at the 4.

Some non-Maliq big(s) get the other 20 mins at the 5.

IF we land a competent C from the portal, then maybe Maliq “only” plays 15 there too, for 30 total.
The biggest problem Red's facing on this 3some is deciding what to do about starters. If Maliq starts at the 5, we probably won't get a high quality portal 5. If a portal 5 starts, Maliq might leave (assuming Donnie starts at the 4). Best case scenario is Red pulls a rabbit out of his hat and convinces Maliq to be the 6th man who would get 27-30 mpg between the 4 and 5 and could play super aggressive. I'm curious as to his game plan here.

Carey - I forget if he was still injured, or if he’s sick.
Doesn't really matter, he can't stay healthy and, probably more importantly, he doesn't know how to play team basketball. Carey is averaging 10 PF per 40 minutes right now. In the last 15 seasons, the only other SU player to have more than 15 PFs in less than 100 minutes played is Chinonso Obokoh. And even he played more than Carey.

In the ACC, there have only been 21 players in the same timeframe. Only four of them finished their college career at the school they started at: Javin DeLaurier (a former top-100 recruit who spent his freshman year stuck behind a trio of much better centers) and Antonio Vrankovic (glorified walk-on who never played more than 101 minutes) at Duke, Ebuka Izundu (had 50 lbs on Carey) and Raphael Akpejiori (glorified walk-on) at Miami.

I get people have dreams and hopes on Carey, but its the same as pining for the back-up back-up QB down on the practice squad. Except Carey isn't even that good.

You’re never going to get two centers with those skills and talent out of the portal. Unless the backup is someone unproven or with previously mediocre results. One skilled, big bodied center is gonna be tough to land but is at least a realistic goal. Most other teams don’t have two centers like that. UConn last year was the only team I can think of that had that much size and skill depth at the center spot last season with Sanogo and Clingan.
You're right. We're not going to find two this off season. That's why we need to try to find one this year and start recruiting some of those types out of high school. There's no rule saying we can't recruit both string beans that can shoot and strong physical guys that can bang down low.

The biggest problem Red's facing on this 3some is deciding what to do about starters. If Maliq starts at the 5, we probably won't get a high quality portal 5. If a portal 5 starts, Maliq might leave (assuming Donnie starts at the 4). Best case scenario is Red pulls a rabbit out of his hat and convinces Maliq to be the 6th man who would get 27-30 mpg between the 4 and 5 and could play super aggressive. I'm curious as to his game plan here.
Nobody has to know who starts until next fall. You recruit the best players you can and let practice determine who starts and how minutes are distributed. If a guy gets bumped to the bench, it means we upgraded.

Haven't checked out highlights of this kid but his brother was pretty good and believe in NBA right now -

Nobody has to know who starts until next fall. You recruit the best players you can and let practice determine who starts and how minutes are distributed. If a guy gets bumped to the bench, it means we upgraded.
That would be ideal but not sure it holds today especially when recruiting from the portal. Read the Pitino interview. He said as soon as the season is over everyone asks for PT guarantees or NIL guarantees or they might transfer. And when they transfer they pick whoever gives them those guarantees, at least the best of them do.

That would be ideal but not sure it holds today especially when recruiting from the portal. Read the Pitino interview. He said as soon as the season is over everyone asks for PT guarantees or NIL guarantees or they might transfer. And when they transfer they pick whoever gives them those guarantees, at least the best of them do.
Yes I think this is realistic. Coaches previously had to make playing time promises and now they 100% need to. To grab a staring quality portal center or PG we will have to pay the appropriate amount and guarantee minutes or starting spots. To keep players you will have to guarantee the same. The advantage with existing players is if they were happy how they were used that should help.

Assuming coaches know what the NIL cap is they need to manage the team accordingly and prioritize who they will incentivize to keep or chase after.

Cuse

Yes I think this is realistic. Coaches previously had to make playing time promises and now they 100% need to. To grab a staring quality portal center or PG we will have to pay the appropriate amount and guarantee minutes or starting spots. To keep players you will have to guarantee the same. The advantage with existing players is if they were happy how they were used that should help.

Assuming coaches know what the NIL cap is they need to manage the team accordingly and prioritize who they will incentivize to keep or chase after.

Cuse
Sure does make it difficult to develop players or develop depth.

The issue isnt just at Center. The entire roster is unbalanced. We have a team full of tweeners.
Brown natural 4 but plays 5
Copeland 1 or 3
JJ 2 is probobly his primary spot maybe 1 but needs to develop his handle
Taylor 2 3
Bell 3 but has zero handle
Cuffe more of a 2 but could play point
Carey 4 5
Freeman natural 4 maybe 3

We lack a true point G and a true 3

If we land a center i might roll with
Cope PG
JJ 2
Freeman 3
Brown 4
Center.

McCloud back up 5
Bell 3
Taylor 2 3
Cuffe PG
Freeman 2

I personally think we need a high caliber 3 that can not only shoot but take it to the rack. To me that is the missing player more than a center or PG

The issue isnt just at Center. The entire roster is unbalanced. We have a team full of tweeners.
Copeland 1 or 3
Taylor 2 3
Carey 4 5

Cope PG
JJ 2
Freeman 3
Brown 4
Center.

McCloud back up 5
Bell 3
Taylor 2 3
Cuffe PG
Freeman 2

I personally think we need a high caliber 3 that can not only shoot but take it to the rack. To me that is the missing player more than a center or PG
What’s with our fans obsession of putting Freeman at the 3 and doubling down on terrible shooting.

NBA teams play smaller guys at the 4 and 5 than Brown and Freeman. We seem to want to double down on 90’s style basketball.

What’s with our fans obsession of putting Freeman at the 3 and doubling down on terrible shooting.

NBA teams play smaller guys at the 4 and 5 than Brown and Freeman. We seem to want to double down on 90’s style basketball.
If you read my take is we need a 3 more than any other position. The choice might be does Bell or Brown start. If you go with Brown at the 5 we are limited. Go with a new 5 and unless he starts he most likely leaves.

If you read my take is we need a 3 more than any other position. The choice might be does Bell or Brown start. If you go with Brown at the 5 we are limited. Go with a new 5 and unless he starts he most likely leaves.
Brown and Bell with Freeman at the power forward would be fine. That’s plenty of size for today’s game when they are a year older. It would be more limiting to play with zero shooting. If Brown or Bell are told they aren’t starting they are transferring. There’s no way they are coming off the bench here.

Brown and Bell with Freeman at the power forward would be fine. That’s plenty of size for today’s game when they are a year older. It would be more limiting to play with zero shooting. If Brown or Bell are told they aren’t starting they are transferring. There’s no way they are coming off the bench here.
agreed. That means that we are not landing a starting center. We will role with the guys we have hopefully add another scoring forward.

agreed. That means that we are not landing a starting center. We will role with the guys we have hopefully add another scoring forward.
This implies Maliq wants to play another season as an undersized 5 out of his natural position. Don't think that's a guarantee.

Word is the staff is looking for a big(s) in the portal. We will have Fs that can score - Bell, Freeman, Q. Red will be looking for offensive versatility and, ideally, guys that can defend multiple positions. The discussions of whether Freeman can "play the 3" on offense are pretty much irrelevant in a continuity concept based offense. Red's system is going to look different than the traditional based thinking being tossed around.

What we don't have is an interior scoring threat, a natural PG, or enough shooters. Those are the most likely places to look for portal additions IMO. Finding those players is a different matter.

Copeland 1 or 3
Taylor 2 3
Carey 4 5

Cope PG
JJ 2
Freeman 3
Brown 4
Center.

McCloud back up 5
Bell 3
Taylor 2 3
Cuffe PG
Freeman 2

I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence. Not that we don't need a 3 to be able to do more. We do. But the crying need is a center and a pg. The two most important spots on the floor.

If it's the best of them, fine. Those are what we need. Nobody currently on this roster is that. If there's a guy we really want and he demands that stuff, tell him what he needs to hear then do what you have to during the season to get the best guys on the floor. If he's a stud, it's a no brainer. If he's a bust, nobody will care that he's riding the pine except him.

I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence. Not that we don't need a 3 to be able to do more. We do. But the crying need is a center and a pg. The two most important spots on the floor.

So what do we do with Brown then you think? He’s too talented to not play major minutes and yet so is Freeman. Can we attract a high level Center while keeping Brown too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom