Our crying need. A true center! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Our crying need. A true center!

My assumption is that Center will be handled by Brown and McLeod. Seems like there's buzz that may not be the case. Does anyone know if Red plans to get a new starting center or at least recruit over McLeod?
I feel like we can get by with something like that. But is that what we really want, to just get by? We need to upgrade it, if we want to become a top 25 team that is waiting to see what we're seeded and not just what side of the bubble we're on. We need a better athlete than McLeod and a bigger guy than Brown that lets Brown play primarily at the 4 and then slide to the 5 when matchups dictate it.

I feel like we can get by with something like that. But is that what we really want, to just get by? We need to upgrade it, if we want to become a top 25 team that is waiting to see what we're seeded and not just what side of the bubble we're on. We need a better athlete than McLeod and a bigger guy than Brown that lets Brown play primarily at the 4 and then slide to the 5 when matchups dictate it.
exactly - i think we need 1 new PF and 1 new C on top of everyone already coming - and that'll mean some outgoing movement, as well, most likely

exactly - i think we need 1 new PF and 1 new C on top of everyone already coming - and that'll mean some outgoing movement, as well, most likely
That would be ideal, along with a PG.

Huh? Why would we need a PF?

Maliq and Donnie are both PF’s.

We need a C. Like nobody’s business.

And a solid, experienced PG would be lovely.
I'm not sure Donnie is a PF. He's a tweener. Maybe we don't need one. Having a couple athletes with a little bulk is something we could use, though. Maybe just to come off the bench when it would help.

Surely between high school seniors, junior colleges, Canada and the portal there must be available a “ tall 6’10’ or more, strong with a decently heavy body, and rebounding and some shooting ability available. It would be nice to see Brown play forward which I assume is his true position. I feel somewhat sorry for him.
Other schools seem to do this

I'm not sure Donnie is a PF. He's a tweener. Maybe we don't need one. Having a couple athletes with a little bulk is something we could use, though. Maybe just to come off the bench when it would help.
Might want to check Donnie’s game tonight and tell everyone what you think he is.

Might want to check Donnie’s game tonight and tell everyone what you think he is.
What's with the attitude? I'm not questioning how good he is. But he's skinny. Why are people pushing back so hard against wanting a couple players on the roster that can be physical? Don't we want versatility? People act like wanting a certain type of player means I don't want a different kind of player. I want every kind of player on the roster so we can match up against anyone and everyone like we used to. Jeremy McNeil was a different player than Craig Forth and was incredibly one dimensional. But without him shutting down Oklahoma State when we pressed and came back, we don't win a national championship. Same thing with GMac and Edelin at the point.

Having a physical center and a physical power forward would give us versatility we don't have.

Last edited:
What's with the attitude? I'm not questioning how good he is. But he's skinny. Why are people pushing back so hard against wanting a couple players on the roster that can be physical? Don't we want versatility? People act like wanting a certain type of player means I don't want a different kind of player. I want every kind of player on the roster so we can match up against anyone and everyone like we used to. Jeremy McNeil was a different player than Craig Forth and was incredibly one dimensional. But without him shutting down Oklahoma State when pressed and came back, we don't win a national championship. Same thing with GMac and Edelin at the point.

Having a physical center and a physical power forward would give us versatility we don't have.
No attitude, but anyone who thinks Donnie isn't the PF next year is sorely mistaken. He's coming here to start at that position. He had 35 and 16 last night in the best HS league in the country against the number 6 HS team in the country. If that's not a PF I am not sure what is.

What's with the attitude? I'm not questioning how good he is. But he's skinny. Why are people pushing back so hard against wanting a couple players on the roster that can be physical? Don't we want versatility? People act like wanting a certain type of player means I don't want a different kind of player. I want every kind of player on the roster so we can match up against anyone and everyone like we used to. Jeremy McNeil was a different player than Craig Forth and was incredibly one dimensional. But without him shutting down Oklahoma State when pressed and came back, we don't win a national championship. Same thing with GMac and Edelin at the point.

A lot can change before next year obviously, but I do think a frontcourt of Brown, Freeman, and Bell is likely to get pushed around defensively, if that is who we end up having. That said, they are also pretty likely to be amazing offensively. Maybe we just lean into it and be a more offensive minded team?

I'm with you, I'd like to be able to bring in a change of pace off the bench. We have McLeod, and assuming he is healthy, he's a great change of pace for Brown. Brown does everything except protect the rim, and McLeod is one dimensional, but he's an amazing shot blocker. I like them as a team.

Ideally, I'd love to bring in a big PF who is a monster on the boards, but it's one thing to want something. Much harder to convince a vet to come here and split time with a McDonald's All American. It will be a real credit to Red if it can do that.

A lot can change before next year obviously, but I do think a frontcourt of Brown, Freeman, and Bell is likely to get pushed around defensively, if that is who we end up having. That said, they are also pretty likely to be amazing offensively. Maybe we just lean into it and be a more offensive minded team?

I'm with you, I'd like to be able to bring in a change of pace off the bench. We have McLeod, and assuming he is healthy, he's a great change of pace for Brown. Brown does everything except protect the rim, and McLeod is one dimensional, but he's an amazing shot blocker. I like them as a team.

Ideally, I'd love to bring in a big PF who is a monster on the boards, but it's one thing to want something. Much harder to convince a vet to come here and split time with a McDonald's All American. It will be a real credit to Red if it can do that.
There’s no room or playing time for a big forward next year. Freeman and Brown will get all the minutes. There’s no way a portal big will look at these two and think he will get minutes next year.

There’s no room or playing time for a big forward next year. Freeman and Brown will get all the minutes. There’s no way a portal big will look at these two and think he will get minutes next year.
I think there might be enough minutes for a player like JP Estrella, who can spell the power forward and center positions

I'm not thinking finding someone is likely, it's more a wish list. I think our best bet would be to find an under recruited guy a smaller school looking to step up in competition that has size and been productive. I don't know if we can find that, but it seems to happen at other places, so maybe we just have to work really hard at turning over rocks to see what we can find.

I think there might be enough minutes for a player like JP Estrella, who can spell the power forward and center positions
He would be a take. There’s no indication he’s going into the portal.

No attitude, but anyone who thinks Donnie isn't the PF next year is sorely mistaken. He's coming here to start at that position. He had 35 and 16 last night in the best HS league in the country against the number 6 HS team in the country. If that's not a PF I am not sure what is.
I'm not just looking at his production. I'm looking at his body. Can he do that against grown developed college guys? Maybe he can. This team needs some girth options.

It shouldn't be that tough to figure out for a P6 Coach/talent evaluator who do this for a living, and make pretty good coin doing so. With all of these transfers, there have been many instances of players who were POY or DPOY in their low to mid major conference who have done very well in moving up. Conversely, we take a flier on Hima, who was a nothing bagel at Duquense. Realistically, did anyone expect him to be an important cog. Editor's note: Nothing against Hima as he seems like a great teammate and quality Individual.
Sometimes if you missed out, quality individuals on your team is the best move.

Just curious (and admittedly, I know very little about Jonathan Beagle/UAlbany hoops), but why would any head coach, assistant coach, AD or fan actually want a player like this in your program?

He's unhappy it seems (no mention of injury). And he QUITS IN MIDSEASON on his team/program, teammates, coaches, ... on himself.

This is exactly the type of player that Red, who is establishing his program standards, should avoid at any/all costs. He is not committed. He cannot deal with adversity. How is he going to help us win games in March in the coming years if things are too tough at UAlbany?

My $0.02 "stance" has nothing to do with the transfer portal, if that is part of this. This is not the same as JJ Starling joining us from ND. If Jonathan Beagle left after the season, I'd be fine with it. This is about a kid that (apparently) is disgruntled and is too weak to buckle down, grind and compete. How ridiculously selfish is his quitting mid-season?

Listen, if there is some unspoken issue at play, I will back off Jonathan Beagle. If the coach is abusive or something like that. But at this very moment as I type this, that is not the case.

It just befuddles me that anyone (including fans) would be interested in a player like this playing at SU. Would be the worst thing we could do. Didn't we just go through some degrees of internal program strife with Benny? What invite more of that inside?
Without knowing the situation here, you cannot make a reasonable comment. Maybe he bet on himself not quit, there's no telling...ssshh.
So you don't want any player on SU that could potentially have a mental illness??? So the worst thing SU could do as a program is recruit a player that has a mental illness? You are befuddled by anyone wanting a player with a mental illness? So all people are not capable of making strides that help themselves and at the same time drastically improving those aware around said person? People are just stuck in and drag everyone down around them?
My most fond memory of sports is of my team that sucked, we all rallied around a player struggling with mental health issues. He was not a good athlete at all but as a team we made a point to get him involved in some way every game, every practice,every time were sitting in the locker room or class. We grew close as a team, chemistry off the charts...lost first 8 games and won last 15 weeks in sectional championship.
So F you dick.

Why will Judah be gone? Certainly has not shown to be NBA ready. Talented yes NBA caliber no. Kids leave for their own reasons, but no way will he be an NBA first or second round choice.
Rumor is ,;; , Georgetown

Given the court ruling that players can enter the portal this year and not sit out even if not the first transfer, does anyone know if it’s likely McLeod transfers out and we get a new center? And how would that affect Maliq’s decision?

Given the court ruling that players can enter the portal this year and not sit out even if not the first transfer, does anyone know if it’s likely McLeod transfers out and we get a new center? And how would that affect Maliq’s decision?
I heard we put out a feeler for a portal C, so would assume the plan doesn’t include McLeod as a high priority. I think Bulldog said there is a plan to try to beef up the interior.

I heard we put out a feeler for a portal C, so would assume the plan doesn’t include McLeod as a high priority. I think Bulldog said there is a plan to try to beef up the interior.
That’s a good thing to hear. Get a better center and give McLeod the option to stay as a backup or portal. He’s not stuck so no hard feelings.

I guess my natural follow up question is: what caliber of center are we talking about here? I think Donnie could probably handle SF defensively, but it's definitely not ideal on the offensive end. So we probably have to either move Maliq to a bench role to make room for a starting caliber center, or we're more in the market for just a backup center that can play increased minutes in certain matchups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom