Our First Loss Pending? | Syracusefan.com

Our First Loss Pending?

orange2win

2nd String
Although Pitt has had a softer schedule, they are scoring more PPG, grabbing more RBs, getting more APG, hitting more FGs and are better at the FT line than us. 3pt shooting and TOs are about equal. So on paper they seem to have an edge.

To date they have only one loss, which is against Cinci by a point. Based on their past record against us they certainly have an advantage, unless you only look back a season or two.

So how do we do Saturday? I think that in spite of the above - with these kids we win - but it could get ugly.

Although Pitt has had a softer schedule, they are scoring more PPG, grabbing more RBs, getting more APG, hitting more FGs and are better at the FT line than us. 3pt shooting and TOs are about equal. So on paper they seem to have an edge.

To date they have only one loss, which is against Cinci by a point. Based on their past record against us they certainly have an advantage, unless you only look back a season or two.

So how do we do Saturday? I think that in spite of the above - with these kids we win - but it could get ugly.
Never conclude a sporting event on paper. On paper VMI is the best scoring team in the country.

Make sure the players know this. Maybe they'll start playing before the 10 minute mark in the game.

By the RPI, we've played (and won) 6 games against opponents rated higher than any opponent Pitt has beaten. Pitts record vs top 50 RPI opponents is 0-1, ours is 4-0. Their record versus RPI top 100 is 4-1, ours is 9-0.

Out of their 16 games, 70% were against opponents with an RPI or 100 or worse, as opposed to only 47% for us.

Like everything else about this team, you have analyze their stats relative to the incredibly weak schedule they've played.

They may be legit, but their stats to date certainly won't prove it.

While we are certainly the better team, I think it's safe to say that no program in college basketball is more at ease against our zone than Pitt.

Many say that 2010 was the greatest SU team ever - a decent Pitt team came into the Dome that year and had their way with us.

Let's hope the crowd still isn't doing that insipid unison clapping at that point.
I remember when that became a huge topic post '96 NC game appearance. Our offense went in the tank for a few years and the crowd would stand clapping for so long at the beginning of games, there was discussion about whether is was putting to much pressure on the players and making it worse.

I remember when that became a huge topic post '96 NC game appearance. Our offense went in the tank for a few years and the crowd would stand clapping for so long at the beginning of games, there was discussion about whether is was putting to much pressure on the players and making it worse.

It is without a doubt the worst and most humiliating fan "tradition" in the history of college sports.

it could get ugly.
We are playing Pitt, it will be ugly.
At the beginning of the year, I picked this game as our first loss just because Pitt seems to have our number, and we've got to lose to somebody sometime. But now I will be really surprised if we lose this game. It's critical, though, to make sure Paul Harris isn't in the game in the last five minutes, otherwise we will be in real trouble.

While we are certainly the better team, I think it's safe to say that no program in college basketball is more at ease against our zone than Pitt.

Many say that 2010 was the greatest SU team ever - a decent Pitt team came into the Dome that year and had their way with us.

Ashton Gibbs hit six three pointers that game and we gave up 55 second half points after we were leading at halftime. Brad Wanamaker took 14 FTA. We got called for 19 personal fouls in the second half. Wes got his fourth at 7:53 and Rick got his fourth at 7:40. Andy and BT combined to go 1-11 from three.

Do you see what I'm getting at? The confluence of crap that had to happen to beat that 2010 team was ridiculous and that is the only way this year's team is going to lose to a team like Pitt as well.

Dixon is a good coach and he has experience versus JB. They have some solid players, but we should win. If we played this game 10 times, I would expect to win at least seven times with these two teams.

In the past , as a team better in transition we struggled against pitts style forcing a half court game. As a team more tailored for the half court I think that plays well for us. They of course attack the zone well but our ability to play in the half court should be a difference maker.

By the RPI, we've played (and won) 6 games against opponents rated higher than any opponent Pitt has beaten. Pitts record vs top 50 RPI opponents is 0-1, ours is 4-0. Their record versus RPI top 100 is 4-1, ours is 9-0.

Out of their 16 games, 70% were against opponents with an RPI or 100 or worse, as opposed to only 47% for us.

Like everything else about this team, you have analyze their stats relative to the incredibly weak schedule they've played.

They may be legit, but their stats to date certainly won't prove it.

I quite agree, however I also have no doubt whether Dixon will have them ready for us. I think it's going to be a war.

I think we beat Pitt at home with their 2nd best 3-point shooter and 6th man out for the season with a ACL injury.

I think we beat Miami on their court because we will be facing their 2-2-1 matchup zone a second time and it will take less time to solve it this time.

Wake Forest plays really well at home. WF is still my biggest concern in the near future.

I think we will beat Duke at home. I think beating Duke at Cameron will be quite a feat.

I wonder if we should change the tradition. Stand up and cheer on our defense until the other team makes a basket :)

Ashton Gibbs hit six three pointers that game and we gave up 55 second half points after we were leading at halftime. Brad Wanamaker took 14 FTA. We got called for 19 personal fouls in the second half. Wes got his fourth at 7:53 and Rick got his fourth at 7:40. Andy and BT combined to go 1-11 from three.

Do you see what I'm getting at? The confluence of crap that had to happen to beat that 2010 team was ridiculous and that is the only way this year's team is going to lose to a team like Pitt as well.

Dixon is a good coach and he has experience versus JB. They have some solid players, but we should win. If we played this game 10 times, I would expect to win at least seven times with these two teams.

In fairness, your first paragraph could be used to describe any team beating any other team. Winning teams make shots and don't get into foul trouble, and losing teams don't make shots and do get into foul trouble.

I agree with you that we should win - but any way you slice it, Pitt has won 6 out of the past 8 in the Dome. I will be "optimistically nervous."

What I don't like about it is sometimes it seems like we are clapping for the visitors!

In the past , as a team better in transition we struggled against pitts style forcing a half court game. As a team more tailored for the half court I think that plays well for us. They of course attack the zone well but our ability to play in the half court should be a difference maker.
They've played us tough regardless of how we're built. The really good transition teams have only been the last 4-5 years. The 'Melo, GMac, Warrick years were more halfcourt teams and it was still a rock fight.

Yeah, I've never understood it. "Hey everyone, our team did something good let's stop cheering for them."

And also, it encourages the other team - "Hey, as long as we play great D, their fans will make bigger and bigger idiots out of themselves! D UP!!"

It is without a doubt the worst and most humiliating fan "tradition" in the history of college sports.

Wow--I could not disagree more.

And I've certainly never seen any player from our program express that sentiment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom