Our home schedule really has sucked lately (a.k.a throwing a bone to Bees) | Syracusefan.com

Our home schedule really has sucked lately (a.k.a throwing a bone to Bees)

Scooch

Living Legend
The Michigan '99 thread got me thinking about the incredible run of Dome games we had in the 90s/early 00s, and how that has all but evaporated recently. Look at the list of top-tier OOC home games...

1991: Florida
1992: Texas, Ohio State
1994: Oklahoma
1998: Tennessee
1999: Michigan
2001: Auburn
2003: Notre Dame
2004: Florida State

And that's also when we had Miami and Virginia Tech coming in to play conference games.

Since the New Big East era started we haven't played a single OOC school at home that I'd consider truly top tier. A handful of midlevel teams: Virginia, Washington, Iowa, Illinois; but we played teams like that in the 90s *and* played the top tier programs as well.

I really can't wait to get Florida State and Clemson in the Dome.

The Michigan '99 thread got me thinking about the incredible run of Dome games we had in the 90s/early 00s, and

And that's also when we had Miami and Virginia Tech coming in to play conference games.

Since the New Big East era started we haven't played a single OOC school at home that I'd consider truly top tier. A handful of midlevel teams: Virginia, Washington, Iowa, Illinois; but we played teams like that in the 90s *and* played the top tier programs as well.

I really can't wait to get Florida State and Clemson in the Dome.

Penn State in 2008..but I want to pretend that never happened and your general point is dead on.

Whats even sadder is the fact that we were competitive in those games.
I think if we got those games this past decade it would have been nothing but a pile on to the ugly fest that has been Syracuse football. Ugh- will we ever be good again.

... Look at the list of top-tier OOC home games...

1991: Florida
1992: Texas, Ohio State
1994: Oklahoma
1998: Tennessee
1999: Michigan
2001: Auburn
2003: Notre Dame
2004: Florida State

QUESTION: I don't remember ever playing a return game at Florida, Ohio State , or Michigan State ('90) for that matter.

Did they owe us those games for some reason I don't know?

QUESTION: I don't remember ever playing a return game at Florida, Ohio State , or Michigan State ('90) for that matter.

We were so good we scheduled 1 for 0s.

Not sure about Michigan State, but we played at Ohio State in 1988 and we had a road game at Florida at some point in the mid 80s.

At Ohio State in 1988.
At Florida in 1984.

our we scheduled to play tulane at home next year ? saw it on fbs schedules site

Penn State in 2008..but I want to pretend that never happened and your general point is dead on.

Wow, I joke that I've repressed that game, but it appears I actually did it.

Not sure that counts as a home game though, given that more than half the crowd were PSU fans.

our we scheduled to play tulane at home next year ? saw it on fbs schedules site
Maybe...the Tulane game is a mystery...some talk from the Tulane folks we let Tulane off the hook by having them bring in their BB team last year. This was all done before the ACC announcement. You remember when TCU was coming in and we had to make room in the schedule. Sigh...

Is this cause or effect? How many of those top-tier teams are playing any road games these days? Then those that do, how many play them in 50,000 seat stadiums vs. 75,000 - 100,000 seat stadiums?

Hopefully with the new playoff system there will be some incentive for the big boys to go out and schedule home-and-homes with other BCS teams, but more likely they'll continue to play mostly home schedules with an occasional neutral "Cowboys Classic" or "Chic-fil-A Kickoff" game.

Whats even sadder is the fact that we were competitive in those games.
I think if we got those games this past decade it would have been nothing but a pile on to the ugly fest that has been Syracuse football. Ugh- will we ever be good again.

No doubt!

I really think it's a huge uphill battle to get back to -more than just respectable- as I think we are on our way to at least that. In my opinion, we need to get back to where our qb is a legitimate running threat as well as throwing, ala McPherson, Graves, McNabb...This was a very exciting brand of football, and our offense gave opposing teams dc's fits in trying to prepare for everything we could throw at them. We are not going to be able to land (at least not as a rule of thumb) 4 and 5 star recruits...never have...never will...even with all the positive $$$ that's projected ahead with the ACC move, and the ensuing facilities improvements, etc.

SU needs to find its niche in that regard in order to be a true player again. Just look at WVU's style, and, more importantly, their current success. It's not like they are reeling in top 10-20 recruiting classes...I don't really believe this impacts recruits thinking, I can't play in that system, etc. if I want to get to the NFL. It's just falicy. If they're good enough (just as our guys were) they will clearly get the look and find a spot in the NFL...as there are numerous examples of these type of players in the pro game today.