Paging Laray Smith | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Paging Laray Smith

Not that the idea that Laray may not play D1 ball period hasn't been tossed around already, but the NY Post Highschool F'ball beat writer thinks Laray isn't playing D1 ball period if he doesn't sign on LOI day:

again braziller predictions are almost always wrong. not sure how he always manages to guess wrong because he does decent coverage, but when you saw gus-cuse laray-uconn ebo-clem you have to scratch your head

again braziller predictions are almost always wrong. not sure how he always manages to guess wrong because he does decent coverage, but when you saw gus-cuse laray-uconn ebo-clem you have to scratch your head

Yeah... wrong last week, wrong this week...

We have plenty of RB's.

By far our least important position of need.

i think we are a lot thinner at RB then many think. After next year PTG, and have to assume Smith leaves since he will have graduated. Moore will never be an every down back. So you are left with Morris, and McFarland? Where is the depth? We will have to bring in a true freshman to play, and an injury to Morris were in trouble. We need LaRay.

i think we are a lot thinner at RB then many think. After next year PTG, and have to assume Smith leaves since he will have graduated. Moore will never be an every down back. So you are left with Morris, and McFarland? Where is the depth? We will have to bring in a true freshman to play, and an injury to Morris were in trouble. We need LaRay.
Isn't Laray more of a slot guy? What about Stanback?

Why not let Laray run track for the Cuse too? Didn't the Orange recently have the NCAA 110 hurdles champion?

Need this dudes speed to compete in the ACC...

Moore doesn't have to be an every down back. You can have Morris and Moore and possibly McFarland and/or broyld. 3 is plenty plus 2 or 3 rb's b/w this and next years class.

Moore doesn't have to be an every down back. You can have Morris and Moore and possibly McFarland and/or broyld. 3 is plenty plus 2 or 3 rb's b/w this and next years class.

RB's get injured more then any other position. i don't know about anyone else but i wouldn't exactly trust Broyld as a featured back. We shouldn't want to even take a chance at having to play a true FR rb. I would feel a lot better if we brought in at least 1 back this year.

Most 18-year olds don't know what they want. Part of the job of a recruiter should be to convince them of what they should do. By that I don't mean to snowjob them but to convince them of the best career move. Someone needs to tell Laray that the real money is in football and the career connections for NYC if he wants to come back home after school are at Syracuse.

Excellent point! Cuse is the place for you Laray, not IU or UConn.

Well bring in at least one prime time back next year. It's probably the easiest position to recruit

FYI: there's no player on the team named "Moore", just like there's nobody named "Williams" on the basketball team.

FYI: there's no player on the team named "Moore", just like there's nobody named "Williams" on the basketball team.

not sure if serious

RB's get injured more then any other position. i don't know about anyone else but i wouldn't exactly trust Broyld as a featured back. We shouldn't want to even take a chance at having to play a true FR rb. I would feel a lot better if we brought in at least 1 back this year.

yeah, im sure we will have a 1 rb this year.

Plus, i just think that RB is close to a dying position. Have no idea what Mcdonald is all about yet, but it would surprise me to throw 65+ % a game.

not sure if serious
Very.
It's not the first time I've mentioned this.

It's disrespectful to the players. Each of the players mentioned have simple abbreviations (AAM & MCW). If a player's name is too long or difficult to spell out then use the abbreviation, don't just use part of his name. AAM's entry in the phone book is listed under "A", not "M".

Very.
It's not the first time I've mentioned this.

It's disrespectful to the players. Each of the players mentioned have simple abbreviations (AAM & MCW). If a player's name is too long or difficult to spell out then use the abbreviation, don't just use part of his name. AAM's entry in the phone book is listed under "A", not "M".

eh, fair enough. I HATE when people spell my last name wrong (its 1 letter off of a normal spelling, its a common word, but exactly how it phonetically sounds. so IMO the actual spelling of the common word is really stupid.) I guess this could be a similar pet peeve to them.

If LS only wants to run track, I hope he doesn't choose to come here for football. I'd rather not waste a scholly on someone that's just going to leave. I also hope he's successful in whatever sport he chooses. If it's football, I hope it's here. If it's track, I can't blame him for going to a more well respected track program elsewhere. I also can't fault him, if he chooses track. There's less chance of getting injured, and, althought I'm not certain if this, I would think there's less time commitment.

yeah, im sure we will have a 1 rb this year.

Plus, i just think that RB is close to a dying position. Have no idea what Mcdonald is all about yet, but it would surprise me to throw 65+ % a game.

Dying position? I totally disagree, wasn't it when the running game got going that we started to win games and dominate. That is what I recall.

Marrone always said that you need 4 RB's to get through a season and to my recollection, we used 4 last year.

McDonald did say the offense was going to be fast and physical. He didn't say that every play would be a pass.

Dying position? I totally disagree, wasn't it when the running game got going that we started to win games and dominate. That is what I recall.

Marrone always said that you need 4 RB's to get through a season and to my recollection, we used 4 last year.

McDonald did say the offense was going to be fast and physical. He didn't say that every play would be a pass.

I think you overtook my dying position comment. By quite a bit, LOL.

What I meant was that you wont be seeing the run to pass the ball anymore. It is leaning to the exact opposite now in college and in the NFL, and somewhat what we did last year.

It would be a stretch to say that we used 4 rb's last year - but I guess you could make that argument. But in any case, we would easily be able to find a 4th if youre able to use this year as an argument. We could use a dlineman in goal line situations or always bring in a hybrid wr/rb.