Paterno movie... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Paterno movie...

Don't people somehow associate hashtags w/ movies now?

If so, #JoeKnew

when I went to unhappy valley for our unfortunate game against them, it was made clear to me that Joe was 100% cognizant and in charge of the program. awesomely, those clowns had to totally backtrack it because it would have made him complicit, which he was.

This movie is incredibly well done.

does it show him completely cognizant of what had happened? looking at the trailer it may not.

The larger issue here is the ostrich head in the sand attitude held by large institutions and powerful people regarding anything which would cause them discomfort. Michigan St with Nassar is another example. If you simply deal with it in the beginning it only hurts for a little while. Now its a permanent stain which cannot ever be removed.

does it show him completely cognizant of what had happened? looking at the trailer it may not.
There's a line in the movie where Paterno is at home and he says "I can't remember what I had for breakfast" in reference to what he knew about Sandusky and his lawyer says "you can't say that publicly because that is exactly what people say when they DO know what happened but blame it all on their age"...or something like that.

I thought the whole tone of the movie was that he clearly knew, but was hiding behind his age and wanted it all to go away so he could concentrate on what really mattered..."football".

Pacino was awesome too.

Vinny the Chin avoided jail for years using that ruse.

There's a line in the movie where Paterno is at home and he says "I can't remember what I had for breakfast" in reference to what he knew about Sandusky and his lawyer says "you can't say that publicly because that is exactly what people say when they DO know what happened but blame it all on their age"...or something like that.

I thought the whole tone of the movie was that he clearly knew, but was hiding behind his age and wanted it all to go away so he could concentrate on what really mattered..."football".

Pacino was awesome too.
Agree. The movie made Paterno look awful. It made it clear he knew exactly what was going on, had numerous opportunities to put an end to it but never had the strength of character to do so.

Why didn't Paterno do more to stop Sandusky? I have always thought it was because he was more concerned over his reputation and the reputation of his program than the hundreds of children victimized. The movie made it look like he just didn't care about that kind of stuff. He poo pooed the reports he got, tried to make McQueary out to be a bumbling idiot, defended Sandusky strongly against overwhelming evidence, etc.

They did show him feeling guilty as he slowly realized the magnitude of the scandal and the ramifications it would have. Showed his family trying to do damage control and realizing Joe was too clueless to even try to defend himself.

Showed a little of the sickness shown by the cult-like PSU fanbase that defended Joe no matter what but not enough.

Spoilers below:

I was surprised how they portrayed Schultz as the only administrator proposing to call Child Welfare back in 2001.

Schultz ultimately failed to act but some of the flashback scenes were damning in what they suggest about how Curley and Spanier chose to handle the accusations. And these scenes imply Paterno was clearly told about 1998 accusations.

Paterno’s daughter and son, Scott, are the only characters who come across as reasonably sane and caring about Sandusky’s victims.

I wish they’d gone further to show the true cult of PSU. They used a few sound clips and student quotes but didn’t capture the magnitude of those sickos.

Overall a solid film. Some of the details revealed about the way Pennsyltucky authorities (I.e. police & prosecutors) handled accusations was new to me and shockingly despicable.

Spoilers below:

I was surprised how they portrayed Schultz as the only administrator proposing to call Child Welfare back in 2001.

Schultz ultimately failed to act but some of the flashback scenes were damning in what they suggest about how Curley and Spanier chose to handle the accusations. And these scenes imply Paterno was clearly told about 1998 accusations.

Paterno’s daughter and son, Scott, are the only characters who come across as reasonably sane and caring about Sandusky’s victims.

I wish they’d gone further to show the true cult of PSU. They used a few sound clips and student quotes but didn’t capture the magnitude of those sickos.

Overall a solid film. Some of the details revealed about the way Pennsyltucky authorities (I.e. police & prosecutors) handled accusations was new to me and shockingly despicable.

Ironically Scott Paterno disputes his portrayal, so while he comes off being a vaguely decent person he vehemently disagreed with the portrayal.

Ironically Scott Paterno disputes his portrayal, so while he comes off being a vaguely decent person he vehemently disagreed with the portrayal.

Makes sense.:rolleyes:

What a bizarre family the Paterno clan. Quintessential Pennsyltucky.

Yeah I was reading his twitter today after reading ForCuseSake review of the film. Unreal.

They show him as going against his dad. Weird.

Reading psu message boards, those swine still don't get it. They are still, to this day, more upset with the coaches image than the despicable acts that happened. I can guarantee that if this happened at MY schools athletics program, I would NOT be a fan anymore unless the slate was wiped entirely clean and everyone involved was punished. And even then, it would be hard to come back.
The biggest question for me is, how have those shower rooms not been gutted and replaced, moved and the earth salted so nothing can ever grow there again? There's your negative recruiting tactics..."do you really want to be showering where this creepy old man raped young boys?"
Sick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom