Paterno movie... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Paterno movie...

Reading psu message boards, those swine still don't get it. They are still, to this day, more upset with the coaches image than the despicable acts that happened. I can guarantee that if this happened at MY schools athletics program, I would NOT be a fan anymore unless the slate was wiped entirely clean and everyone involved was punished. And even then, it would be hard to come back.
The biggest question for me is, how have those shower rooms not been gutted and replaced, moved and the earth salted so nothing can ever grow there again? There's your negative recruiting tactics..."do you really want to be showering where this creepy old man raped young boys?"
Sick.

As a Syracuse fan, any time I've come up against a JoeBot they immediately try and equate Bernie Fine with Sandusky.

As a Syracuse fan, any time I've come up against a JoeBot they immediately try and equate Bernie Fine with Sandusky.
There is NOTHING that equates.
I didn't follow the Fine thing because it didn't seem to have anything to it but that was dropped and he was innocent, am I correct?

Bill-Murray-laugh.gif

This was a powerful and emotionally gut wrenching experience watching this movie. It's well worth watching and is brutally uncompromising in every respect from the graphic content of what's occurred to the treatment of all involved parties. The Jobots and PSU heads in the sand fans will not be happy. And that's good.

It's almost like a historical recreation of the horror of the whole God awful situation and that's good too since I think it's going to be looked at down the road as a documentary look at the the nightmare that was Gerry Sandusky and Paterno who ultimately in the end analysis was Sanduskys enabler.

This movie makes it clear it wasn't because he was unwilling. Clueless perhaps if ones being charitable not to perhaps completely understand the horrific gravity of it all, but culpable in the end analysis nonetheless. And that's where the whole tragedy of this all gets, if it's even possible, it gets worse.

His legacy could've and perhaps should've been so positive if not for this God awful miscreant of a person who ruined so many lives with his unspeakable perversions.

The movie went to great lengths to explain Paternos contributions to things that can be seen as positive from funding buildings to emphasizing citizenship and education among his players to help create good people post graduation, all this in addition to obviously being a good football coach.

That should have been it. But no. His combination of willful ignorance and arrogance were his fatal flaws. Unforgivable. Period. And now that is his forever legacy more than anything else.

As anyone who knows me from this board knows this is somewhat personal for me. Somewhat. A personal dissappointment to some extent to see a childhood personal hero unmasked and exposed. I've posted many times on here now my profound disappointment as well as my burning of my recruitment letter from PSU from back in the day.

But I've never spoke of the content before and this is a testament to the contradiction of the man as I saw it. The long and the short of it was that after some initial interest I wasn't good enough at the time to merit a scholarship offer, and should try as a walk on.

Now any administative support staff from PSU, any assistant or recruiting coordinator, etc. could've written and signed or stamped this obviously individualized letter, but Paterno clearly signed it himself.

It doesn't show much, except to say a total self absorbed narcissist likely wouldn't do this to give a crap about some recruit not even good enough to be offered. And not that it matters for much as his fatal flaws and negatives now will be what he's remembered for more than anything.

But I share to give a complete picture here in our little world and the movie does a good job of painting this nuanced conflicting portrait as well. Had it sugar coated the atrocities and his culpability in how things played out, then I'd not reccomend seeing it.

But it is uncompromising and brutally explicit in all related matters, is profoundly moving and flies by as a result of all that. It will make you mad and it will make you sad. It is a very worth while viewing.

Last edited:
This was a powerful and emotionally gut wrenching experience watching this movie. It's well worth watching and is brutally uncompromising in every respect from the graphic content of what's occurred to the treatment of all involved parties. The Jobots and PSU heads in the sand fans will not be happy. And that's good.

It's almost like a historical recreation of the horror of the whole God awful situation and that's good too since I think it's going to be looked at down the road as a documentary look at the the nightmare that was Gerry Sandusky and Paterno who ultimately in the end analysis was Sanduskys enabler.

This movie makes it clear it wasn't because he was unwilling. Clueless perhaps if ones being charitable not to perhaps completely understand the horrific gravity of it all, but culpable in the end analysis nonetheless. And that's where the whole tragedy of this all gets, if it's even possible, it gets worse.

His legacy could've and perhaps should've been so positive if not for this God awful miscreant of a person who ruined so many lives with his unspeakable perversions.

The movie went to great lengths to explain Paternos contributions to things that can be seen as positive from funding buildings to emphasizing citizenship and education among his players to help create good people post graduation, all this in addition to obviously being a good football coach.

That should have been it. But no. His combination of ignorance and arrogance were his fatal flaws. Unforgivable. Period. And now that is his forever legacy more than anything else.

As anyone who knows me from this board knows this is somewhat personal for me. Somewhat. A personal dissappointment to some extent to see a childhood personal hero unmasked and exposed. I've posted many times on here now my profound disappointment as well as my burning of my recruitment letter from PSU from back in the day.

But I've never spoke of the content before and this is a testament to the contradiction of the man as I saw it. The long and the short of it was that after some initial interest I wasn't good enough at the time to merit a scholarship offer, and should try as a walk on.

Now any administative support staff from PSU, any assistant or recruiting coordinator, etc. could've written and signed or stamped this obviously individualized letter, but Paterno clearly signed it himself.

It doesn't show much, except to say a total self absorbed narcissist likely wouldn't do this to give a crap about some recruit not even good enough to be offered. And not that it matters for much as his fatal flaws and negatives now will be what he's remembered for more than anything.

But I share to give a complete picture here in our little world and the movie does a good job of painting this nuanced conflicting portrait as well. Had it sugar coated the atrocities and his culpability in how things played out, then I'd not reccomend seeing it.

But it is uncompromising and brutally explicit in all related matters, is profoundly moving and flies by as a result of all that. It will make you mad and it will make you sad. It is a very worth while viewing.

I was a childhood Penn State fan. Now I can’t watch a game because all I can think about is the kids who were victimized.

It’s not talked about much, but I also think about this; if they were willing to cover up Sandusky’s crimes, how many rapes of Penn State students by Penn State athletes were covered up?

There is NOTHING that equates.
I didn't follow the Fine thing because it didn't seem to have anything to it but that was dropped and he was innocent, am I correct?
1. Based on the evidence, it's extremely clear to me that Bernie didn't do anything wrong. He was a little weird, sure. But he didn't do anything to any illegal or touch any kids.

2. SU actually investigated the allegations. In fact, I'm about 95% sure that SU also hired a neutral 3rd party to investigate.

3. SU acted immediately when the scandal resurfaced, and SU suspended Bernie just to error on the side of caution.

That should have been it. But no. His combination of ignorance and arrogance were his fatal flaws. Unforgivable. Period. And now that is his forever legacy more than anything else.

They say that some of the folks who are truly outstanding and special in their fields are so ultra devoted to that endeavor that they fail to see the minor details swirling outside of it. I think the movie did a good job showing that he may have been so laser focused on the football team that he just didn't put two and two together sometimes. Like when JoePa's wife asked him about the time she asked him to go in the pool with their boys but Joe was too focused on the upcoming bowl game that he didn't and Sandusky did. God I hope that conversation actually happened and Joe realized that his inattention to anything but football exposed his sons to someone he knew shouldn't have that kind of contact.

I'm not giving him a pass at all, just in case my post reads that way. He should have and could have stopped it decades before it was stopped by someone else. Joe and his family know what he did. The scene with the daughter at the table asking about what the boy said was fantastic as well.

Last edited:
1. Based on the evidence, it's extremely clear to me that Bernie didn't do anything wrong. He was a little weird, sure. But he didn't do anything to any illegal or touch any kids.

2. SU actually investigated the allegations. In fact, I'm about 95% sure that SU also hired a neutral 3rd party to investigate.

3. SU acted immediately when the scandal resurfaced, and SU suspended Bernie just to error on the side of caution.

Not to mention that the lawsuit that was brought was brought against the bigger pockets of Boeheim and the University, not Bernie.

Reading psu message boards, those swine still don't get it. They are still, to this day, more upset with the coaches image than the despicable acts that happened. I can guarantee that if this happened at MY schools athletics program, I would NOT be a fan anymore unless the slate was wiped entirely clean and everyone involved was punished. And even then, it would be hard to come back.
The biggest question for me is, how have those shower rooms not been gutted and replaced, moved and the earth salted so nothing can ever grow there again? There's your negative recruiting tactics..."do you really want to be showering where this creepy old man raped young boys?"
Sick.

"I can guarantee that if this happened at MY schools athletics program, I would NOT be a fan anymore unless the slate was wiped entirely clean and everyone involved was punished."

These exact events did happen to my school (I went to PSU), and you're right. This sentiment is exactly how I feel/felt. But tragically, Penn State did nothing but try to weasel out of the reality of what happened. Joe did nothing. The admins did nothing. The town of State College did nothing but deny, riot, and blame the victims. The entire ordeal was sick.

The school should have cleansed itself of the football program for an entire cycle of students (4 years) to kill off any institutional knowledge of the repulsive ways of the Paterno regime. Then, and only then, should the school have revived the program w/ strict guidelines in place.

But no, PSU doubled down on Joe.

Not to mention that the lawsuit that was brought was brought against the bigger pockets of Boeheim and the University, not Bernie.

The fact that Bernie has never told his side of the story is the oddest part of it. It has always made me think part of their story is correct: He may have been a closeted man that was extorted on that basis. The fact that Bernie hasn't spoken may be because of that part and the fact that the University fired someone essentially for his sexual orientation.

I would bet Bernie is living pretty decently on a settlement received by SU. No evidence to support this, just the pieces make sense.

The fact that Bernie has never told his side of the story is the oddest part of it. It has always made me think part of their story is correct: He may have been a closeted man that was extorted on that basis. The fact that Bernie hasn't spoken may be because of that part and the fact that the University fired someone essentially for his s e xual orientation.

I would bet Bernie is living pretty decently on a settlement received by SU. No evidence to support this, just the pieces make sense.

My reading as well, based in part on things I was told by people I believe back in the 1970s.

It's an odd review. The reviewer understands and at the same time fails to understand that the movie was about Paterno and how he handled (or refused to handle) the fallout from the scandal.

I don't know if his beef was with Paterno being the subject of the movie or if he thought the effect on the victims themselves wasn't emphasized much more.

I don't know if his beef was with Paterno being the subject of the movie or if he thought the effect on the victims themselves wasn't emphasized much more.

Totally. But we would have been looking at a 4 hour movie that was reliant on the Paterno family helping fill in the blanks since the man died just months later.

They say that some of the folks who are truly outstanding and special in their fields are so ultra devoted to that endeavor that they fail to see the minor details swirling outside of it. I think the movie did a good job showing that he may have been so laser focused on the football team that he just didn't put two and two together sometimes. Like when JoePa's wife asked him about the time she asked him to go in the pool with their boys but Joe was too focused on the upcoming bowl game that he didn't and Sandusky did. God I hope that conversation actually happened and Joe realized that his inattention to anything but football exposed his sons to someone he knew shouldn't have that kind of contact.

I'm not giving him a pass at all, just in case my post reads that way. He should have and could have stopped it decades before it was stopped by someone else. Joe and his family know what he did. The scene with the daughter at the table asking about what the boy said was fantastic as well.

I watched it, Pacino was fantastic. I can see this take being possible. The movie does show Paterno reflecting a lot, and, in hindsight, wishing he had done more. I thought a compelling part was when he said that he didn't actually witness it happen; he did report it seemingly timely to his superiors however, and how he felt/thought (at least at the time) they were good & quite competent people, leaving it up to them to do the appropriate thing. Which, of course, they didn't do. McQuerry, was a 28 year old grown man, and he should've reported it (as an eyewitness) to the police, no different than any one of us who thought/convinced a crime was being committed before their eyes.

“‘Paterno’ is not a sprawling piece that spans years,” Levinson said in an HBO release. “It unfolds largely over a two-week period, when we watch the events play out. I’m not following an agenda or trying to tell the audience to take a certain side in regards to Coach Paterno. The film lays out the elements of the story and leaves you to make your own judgment. There are times when you may feel one way, and times when you may feel a totally different way, and I think that’s what makes the piece so compelling. Joe Paterno was known as an honorable man, an educator, a humanitarian — so trying to make sense out of what happened is, for me, the most fascinating aspect of the story. What did he understand? What did he not understand?”

Former players are not happy.

Group of Penn State football lettermen call Paterno movie 'uninformed' and 'reckless'

The fact that Bernie has never told his side of the story is the oddest part of it. It has always made me think part of their story is correct: He may have been a closeted man that was extorted on that basis. The fact that Bernie hasn't spoken may be because of that part and the fact that the University fired someone essentially for his s e xual orientation.

He was an at will employee.

no way to watch this without hbo right?

The Secret Service also investigated and cleared him. He enjoyed the company of men and women, was prompty blackmailed and shamed for his lifestyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom