Per PS...Orange Madness performer Ace Hood canceled | Syracusefan.com

Per PS...Orange Madness performer Ace Hood canceled

Last edited:
What genius in the Athletic Department booked someone known for his " violent and misogynistic lyrics?"

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainme..._hoods_orange_madness_cancelled_syracuse.html

Or maybe I should say... "what genius formerly in the Athletic Department?" if Nancy did not have one foot out the door, I suspect her reaction would have been a bit more far-reaching.

This is my issue- how could the Ath. Dept approve this? Shouldn't someone in the upper administration be signing off, and why the continued pattern (FB schedule, moving the court)?

Since Nancy's got both feet out the door now, DG might avoid taking a lot of heat for this.

What genius in the Athletic Department approved the booking of someone known for his " violent and misogynistic lyrics?"

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainme..._hoods_orange_madness_cancelled_syracuse.html

Or maybe I should say... "what genius formerly in the Athletic Department?" if Nancy did not have one foot out the door, I suspect her reaction would have been a bit more far-reaching.
I've never heard of Ace Hood. He's not known for anything. Didn't Meek Mill perform at Orange Madness a couple years ago? I've never heard any of his songs but I'm sure they're laced with politically incorrect lyrics. There was no problem here until the Post Standard took it upon themselves to be the moral police and ran an ignorant article written by Chris Baker a couple days ago.

This is my issue- how could the Ath. Dept approve this? Shouldn't someone in the upper administration be signing off, and why the continued pattern (FB schedule, moving the court)?

Since Nancy's got both feet out the door now, DG might avoid taking a lot of heat for this.

A contract like this would have needed to be authorized by a senior administrator and approved by legal counsel. If not, there are bigger issues to worry about on the hill.

People act like SU should be scheduling Elton John or some other old crap for these events that none of the players or students will care about. Every other major bball school books famous rappers for MM with no problem.

I can guarantee that 100% of current mainstream rappers have had inappropriate lyrics in their career. What does everyone want instead, dueling pianos?

...and no one has problems with the Skinny German Jungle Bunny? ......What is that? How come they haven't booked clowns, balloons and animals better yet a clown that does balloon animals.

After last year's event, how about just basketball? Or if more time needs to be filled, have some of the SU student groups perform. SU has a bunch of incredibly talented students who can be entertaining.

Let's face it, no recruit is going to be swayed because Wale or Ace Hood was at Orange Madness. I'm a fan of hip-hop, but it was clear after what happened last year, that it was best to go a different route this year.

Why does rap not float my boat? (Rhetorical question)
I just don't get any emotional charge from some guy bragging, threatening and self-promoting into a microphone.
And, seeing our fanbase at the Dome, I wouldn't expect they would be rap conniseurs, either.

If Midnight Madness was scheduled for MIDNIGHT, and if it was restricted to students only, you could book an axe murderer or stage a human sacrifice and nobody would care.

Problem is, the event is at 8 PM and it's open to season ticket holders and their families, and everyone else in the community. So you have to bring in performers that are acceptable to the entire community. Not just a small segment.

And you can't really stage an event like this and exclude most of the fan base.

If Midnight Madness was scheduled for MIDNIGHT, and if it was restricted to students only, you could book an axe murderer or stage a human sacrifice and nobody would care.

Problem is, the event is at 8 PM and it's open to season ticket holders and their families, and everyone else in the community. So you have to bring in performers that are acceptable to the entire community. Not just a small segment.

The root of the problem is that it is a diverse audience brought together by a common love of BASKETBALL. When you try to entertain that same diverse audience with something other than what brought them together to begin with you take your chances that you will hit the nail on the head for some and really turn others off. It is very difficult to be all things to all people.

Maybe they focus on returning to an all basketball event and find novel ways to provide additional entertainment involving basketball. The old-timers game would be a great place to start. Maybe they could have a dunking contest involving locals who were good enough to play at a college level, but not good enough continue playing professionally, people the community would recognize..... Bjorn comes to mind.

Maybe a high school All Star game of some sort.

Last edited:

Good point. It's billed as a family event -- at 8PM -- and combining that with Rap doesn't seem like a good mix.

That said, if there were an after-hours event, I'm sure many students would like to see Ace Hood notwithstanding that most of us middle agers don't recognize the name. If you look around college hoops, it's not all that uncommon for rap/hip-hop acts to perform at MM events. I think 'Nova (a jesuit school) had a rapper come a year or two ago.

I think some in this thread, present company excepted, need to come up to speed on what young people are listening to.

Most on this board would've preferred something similar at MM.

What genius in the Athletic Department approved the booking of someone known for his " violent and misogynistic lyrics?"

Ah! for the Days when the fans just went to see the Team's Practice,A few concessions, A poster,Team Schedule/Picture, simple uncomplicated entertainment

Reactions: cto
Hopefully they will at least make sure the sound system works like it should this year. I've been to the last three MM's and no matter where I've sat, you cannot understand a freaking word of the interviews. I remember not being able to even understand what was being said in the videos they played.

Get the simple stuff figured out first before worrying about who is going to entertain the masses.

People act like SU should be scheduling Elton John or some other old crap for these events that none of the players or students will care about. Every other major bball school books famous rappers for MM with no problem.

I can guarantee that 100% of current mainstream rappers have had inappropriate lyrics in their career. What does everyone want instead, dueling pianos?

I think the PS mentioned that SU was the only ACC school to book a hip hop act. After last year's fiasco, it is probably a good idea to not go that route,.

I think the PS mentioned that SU was the only ACC school to book a hip hop act. After last year's fiasco, it is probably a good idea to not go that route,.

I think the point is they should never have even CONSIDERED a hip hop act after what happened last year. The fact that they actually got to the point where they booked Ace Hood is simply baffling.

I've never heard of Ace Hood. He's not known for anything. Didn't Meek Mill perform at Orange Madness a couple years ago? I've never heard any of his songs but I'm sure they're laced with politically incorrect lyrics. There was no problem here until the Post Standard took it upon themselves to be the moral police and ran an ignorant article written by Chris Baker a couple days ago.
Isn't that in part what the media should be doing? Providing relevant information to the public to make an informed decision? I'm torn by your initial response about not knowing ace hood but then calling the article ignorant. Why was it so?