Per PS...Orange Madness performer Ace Hood canceled | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Per PS...Orange Madness performer Ace Hood canceled

If rap is still on he "menu," get Lupe Fiasco, Common, get someone with a different message in their lyrics.
Or they should just get Jason Aldean, and have him do My Kinda Party, Dirt Road anthem, 1994, Johnny Cash, and Crazy Town.
Problem solved.

Even if you got Lupe you probably would get the same complaints - just maybe a little less along the "family value" theme. Prolly not much though - you'd still hear some "my 10 year old shouldn't have to hear that" arguments.

If Ace Hood agreed to do a clean set of songs, the dissatisfaction would remain. It's not like anyone (well, maybe 95%) has heard an Ace Hood song either way - I'm not going to be up in arms about it though - if it was country music I'd look to find any reason possible to complain as well. :)

Even if you got Lupe you probably would get the same complaints - just maybe a little less along the "family value" theme. Prolly not much though - you'd still hear some "my 10 year old shouldn't have to hear that" arguments.

If Ace Hood agreed to do a clean set of songs, the dissatisfaction would remain. It's not like anyone (well, maybe 95%) has heard an Ace Hood song either way - I'm not going to be up in arms about it though - if it was country music I'd look to find any reason possible to complain as well. :)

Agreed about Lupe, and his content is 100 different than this gangsta rap, I mean kick push, the instrumental, the show goes on, superstar, Paris,Tokyo, never forget you, it's all different and it's really good stuff. People would still b1tch and it's sad, but it's understood.
They are better off not even having a performer at all, people will b1tch if they got Lupe, Metallica, Jason Aldean, bob Dylan, not everyone will be satisfied with what they hear whether not if its family friendly.

Now the country music aspect is understood, it is an acquired taste. And like I tried to get my buddy into it and he wanted me to get him into it but he couldn't do it, so I won't force it on him nor anyone else.

And we all know why they signed on ace hood, because the team wanted them probably, that was probably the majority among the team.

Agreed about Lupe, and his content is 100 different than this gangsta rap, I mean kick push, the instrumental, the show goes on, superstar, Paris,Tokyo, never forget you, it's all different and it's really good stuff. People would still b1tch and it's sad, but it's understood.
They are better off not even having a performer at all, people will b1tch if they got Lupe, Metallica, Jason Aldean, bob Dylan, not everyone will be satisfied with what they hear whether not if its family friendly.

Now the country music aspect is understood, it is an acquired taste. And like I tried to get my buddy into it and he wanted me to get him into it but he couldn't do it, so I won't force it on him nor anyone else.

And we all know why they signed on ace hood, because the team wanted them probably, that was probably the majority among the team.
Again the issue is not the act itself...it's the act combined with marketing as a family friendly event. It's like duping half the potential audience. I don't know where you are in your life, but what if they pitched it to you as MM, with a concert and when you got there it was a bunch of kid play areas and Barney singing...wouldn't you feel duped? If cuse wants it to be a student event with ace hood they should be up front about what it is. Let people make an informed decision.

Understood. If it is not your cup of tea, that does mean that tea should be removed from the menu. Censorship is a very dangerous thing
Censorship as in 1st amendment? SU is a private institution.

Again the issue is not the act itself...it's the act combined with marketing as a family friendly event. It's like duping half the potential audience. I don't know where you are in your life, but what if they pitched it to you as MM, with a concert and when you got there it was a bunch of kid play areas and Barney singing...wouldn't you feel duped? If cuse wants it to be a student event with ace hood they should be up front about what it is. Let people make an informed decision.

It's not like it wasn't expected the last two artist were rappers, meek mill and wale.

For every event at the Dome there is a catalyst, a person behind the idea.

So, in the case of Midnight Madness someone had to be the point person for bringing in Rap artists.

I can't imagine JB being that person, who do you think came up with the idea?

Last year I saw a woman wearing a shirt with the most vulgar saying on it. She had no problem strutting her 44 D's in front of little kids advertising her desire to get _ _ _ _.

There were gangsta folks with pants dragging to the floor, with enough chains on to drown a person, giving off menacing looks.

Down in front of families with little kids two girls got in a downy brook. Flailing away, screaming and carrying on for a good spell until security arrived on the scene but not before these tykes witnessed something you would expect at a WWF event.

Many people in attendance were ill at ease while roving bands of gangsta types stood in front of them blocking the view.

At one point someone called for an usher and these hoods went over and intimated the dad who did.

The usher had to call for police to get those punks to comply.

As I was leaving the Dome, numerous police, fire & rescue personal were rushing into the Dome.

Two guys ahead of me said they had witnessed a stabbing which occurred in the concourse.

The event had to be ended early.

For all of you folks who think it was wrong to cancel this rapper, I have to disagree with you.

Do we want to make attending what is supposed to be a fun family night into a night of horror and blood shed?

You can't just leave all four blank like that. Can I at least buy a vowel?

At least rap at least fits culturally with MM...which is more than I can say for country.

That's not to say I oppose cancelling Ace Hood...prior to this month I never heard of him.

Didn't someone get stabbed last year. I agree no more Ace Hood everything is solved.

I agree most with this. If SU or an off-campus venue/promoter wants to bring Ace Hood to town, let them do so as its own event. Part of the whole point of having a Midnight Madness is to drum up interest/anticipation for the upcoming season, and a lot of that is getting families to buy tickets for games. Families won't be tempted to buy tickets if they are made uncomfortable by having to explain to their 6-year-old what a dozen different curse words mean.

Meek mill, wale, and don't forget naughty by nature.

I grew up orange, and am paying it forward with my kids. I am a metal head. If Mötley Crüe was gonna be there and use every word in the book, I wouldn't take my kid there either.

Sports are sports. I want my kids involved. It's bad enuff some of the idiots with too much to drink don't have the common sense to not use filthy language. We don't need to pay people to come and promote this gangsta crap.

CJ.PNG

I had that same thought.

As cool as Rony Seikaly being DJ sounds, the music he makes doesn't mesh with bball. If he was DJ/emcee type playing the standard arena music it would probably work better.

As cool as Rony Seikaly being DJ sounds, the music he makes doesn't mesh with bball. If he was DJ/emcee type playing the standard arena music it would probably work better.
Agreed - electronic/dance music might not work so well.

SU Athletics still advertising Ace. They apparently didn't get the message.

I'm not a big fan of Midnight Madness. I'd have a smaller event for just the players, students, and recruits with Ace Hood and no general public.

Every radio station that airs rap music already bleeps-out words that their standards and practices departments deem unfit for broadcast. Most recorded music companies put warning labels on songs with potentially offensive lyrics and others produce "clean" and "uncensored" versions of songs so that consumers can make an informed choice. You can make the same informed choice by choosing not to show up. How hard is to understand that students and teams wanted this? So we are now the campus music police.
Students and team wanted this? If we left this in the hands of 18-22 year old males we'd have Ace Hood, and poles for Destiny and Aura. We'd also likely go from a stabbing to a shooting. While it would do wonders for our street cred, it would also alienate 95% of the customer base. Fortunately, intelligence prevailed.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I don't actually listen to rap. However I support booking a famous artist that actually gets play time on popular radio and which both the students and recruits will recognize. If I had my personal pick I'd rather go with a big name DJ over a rapper (such as Calvin Harris, Zedd, Avicii, take your pick). But that might be more expensive.
I read an article recently about what DJ's like Avicii, Tiesto, Skrillex and Steve Aoki make per year...yeaaaa SU is not paying that money lol.