Per PS...Orange Madness performer Ace Hood canceled | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Per PS...Orange Madness performer Ace Hood canceled

A contract like this would have needed to be authorized by a senior administrator and approved by legal counsel. If not, there are bigger issues to worry about on the hill.
Sounds like it was put together bye the university union, someone in the ad, and some basketball players...wonder who was paying attention.

Honestly country offends me more than rap does and i'm a 42 yr old white guy. Just give me basketball and whatever the kids like.
I'm with you on country...why are we the only acc team that needs a headline act?

I think the point is they should never have even CONSIDERED a hip hop act after what happened last year. The fact that they actually got to the point where they booked Ace Hood is simply baffling.

Rap wasn't the issue though. The issue was free tickets given out en masse in very very bad areas of Syracuse, and also no assigned seats (leading to possible confrontations). Both of these factors have been fixed. But let's blame the music.

Rap wasn't the issue though. The issue was free tickets given out en masse in very very bad areas of Syracuse, and also no assigned seats (leading to possible confrontations). Both of these factors have been fixed. But let's blame the music.
I think the only relevant question is whether SU views/markets as a family event. If no, then the public should use the media to determine whether this is appropriate for kids. If yes, then we shouldn't be debating the choice.

FTR, I love rap/hip hop but I'm not letting my kids listen.

I'm not blaming the music. I am, however, questioning why they would book an artist whose lyrics are most certainly NOT family friendly for a family friendly event. I would feel the same if it were a death metal band that said F*** every other word.

I think the only relevant question is whether SU views/markets as a family event. If no, then the public should use the media to determine whether this is appropriate for kids. If yes, then we shouldn't be debating the choice.

FTR, I love rap/hip hop but I'm not letting my kids listen.

Fair enough.

I don't actually listen to rap. However I support booking a famous artist that actually gets play time on popular radio and which both the students and recruits will recognize. If I had my personal pick I'd rather go with a big name DJ over a rapper (such as Calvin Harris, Zedd, Avicii, take your pick). But that might be more expensive.

I'm not blaming the music. I am, however, questioning why they would book an artist whose lyrics are most certainly NOT family friendly for a family friendly event. I would feel the same if it were a death metal band that said F*** every other word.
Exactly. Look sweetie, it's Metallica...

Fair enough.

I don't actually listen to rap. However I support booking a famous artist that actually gets play time on popular radio and which both the students and recruits will recognize. If I had my personal pick I'd rather go with a big name DJ over a rapper (such as Calvin Harris, Zedd, Avicii, take your pick). But that might be more expensive.
What don't they bring in Rony Seikaly?

I'll check out your suggestions...are they electronica types?

Exactly. Look sweetie, it's Metallica...

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc...with them it's not the lyrics of the songs. It's all the swearing between songs when they're pumping the crowd up. Ozzy loves dropping F-bombs in his live shows. None would be wise choices for a "family" event.

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc...with them it's not the lyrics of the songs. It's all the swearing between songs when they're pumping the crowd up. Ozzy loves dropping F-bombs in his live shows. None would be wise choices for a "family" event.
Oh god yeah...Jesus I swear the fbomb is the only word James hetfield knows

Isn't that in part what the media should be doing? Providing relevant information to the public to make an informed decision? I'm torn by your initial response about not knowing ace hood but then calling the article ignorant. Why was it so?
It's a fine example of fear mongering and it's working pretty well by the response it's generated. I admitted that I'm ignorant to the lyrics of these rapper's songs, like I said they're no-names. There are underground rappers with larger followings. I'm not ignorant to the mass hysteria that revolves around violent literature, film, music, and games.

It's a fine example of fear mongering and it's working pretty well by the response it's generated. I admitted that I'm ignorant to the lyrics of these rapper's songs, like I said they're no-names. There are underground rappers with larger followings. I'm not ignorant to the mass hysteria that revolves around violent literature, film, music, and games.
I don't see the requisite exaggeration necessary to call it fear mongering. Violent art has it's place but it's probably not at a basketball practice do you think?

I have solved it. The kids' choir at my church sang a beautiful rendition of "Kumbaya" today. I could probably arrange their appearance for free.
Please let Ashton broyld vet them.

I don't see the requisite exaggeration necessary to call it fear mongering. Violent art has it's place but it's probably not at a basketball practice do you think?
fear·mon·ger·ing
ˈfi(ə)rˌməNGəriNG/
noun
noun: fear-mongering
the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue.
---
Title of article: Rapper Ace Hood brings violent lyrics to the "family friendly" Orange Madness
Content of article:
Yesterday, Syracuse University told the Post-Standard it had made "tweaks" to its annual Orange Madness event to avoid the type of violence that marred last year's event

Hood's music contains themes of gun violence, gang life and violent sexual intercourse. Many of Hood's songs contain ample profanity.

Hood will perform three to five songs at the beginning of an event that has traditionally been family friendly.

Warning: video contains explicit lyrics (With video of one of his songs)

That's an attempt to elicit fear over something the author sees as immoral and dangerous.

fear·mon·ger·ing
ˈfi(ə)rˌməNGəriNG/
noun
the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue.
---
Title of article: Rapper Ace Hood brings violent lyrics to the "family friendly" Orange Madness
Content of article:
Yesterday, Syracuse University told the Post-Standard it had made "tweaks" to its annual Orange Madness event to avoid the type of violence that marred last year's event

Hood's music contains themes of gun violence, gang life and violent s e x ual intercourse. Many of Hood's songs contain ample profanity.

Hood will perform three to five songs at the beginning of an event that has traditionally been family friendly.

That's an attempt to elicit fear over something the author sees as immoral and dangerous.

The fear becomes justified when it occurs after the violent act. At this point it's not unprovoked propaganda. The public response confirms the author is not alone.

fear·mon·ger·ing
ˈfi(ə)rˌməNGəriNG/
noun
---
Content of article:

Hood's music contains themes of gun violence, gang life and violent s e x ual intercourse. Many of Hood's songs contain ample profanity.

Yeh... and suppose you were planning to bring your 10 and 12 year-old daughters to a basketball event for their favorite team? Would you have not been happy to have been warned about the songs' content? That stuff has no business at a "family" event.

If you want an X-rated event... bill it as such

Fair enough.

Those DJ's would charge at least 50K to perform for 30 minutes. Besides, on a friday night, clubs pay those guys 150K-200K. So, you're not getting a house DJ ever. I support this direction of thinking though.

I would feel the same if it were a death metal band that said F*** every other word.
yeah but you wouldn't even be able to understand the f bombs

I'm at every home basketball game. At midnight madness there is visibly a difference in the crowd. Music maybe. Free tic maybe. But when these rappers got introduced there was a contingent of people who came alive, sang along, etc. Clearly there for the "artist", and nothing else. If you replaced the rapper with Slayer, you have a bunch of long hairs there because holy crap Slayer for free????? It's completely ignorant to think that the entertainment doesn't bring in certain people that only have interest in that.

fear·mon·ger·ing
ˈfi(ə)rˌməNGəriNG/
noun
---
Content of article:

I don't read any fear mongering in there. An example of fear mongering would be someone saying "if we let Arabs on airplanes we are all going to die."

Those DJ's would charge at least 50K to perform for 30 minutes. Besides, on a friday night, clubs pay those guys 150K-200K. So, you're not getting a house DJ ever. I support this direction of thinking though.
Holy f I should have been a dj

If really violent I am all for the idea of saying no, but I do believe artists like Meek Mill are good for the players and the program. We should be able to get another decent rap star

Last edited:
I'm at every home basketball game. At midnight madness there is visibly a difference in the crowd. Music maybe. Free tic maybe. But when these rappers got introduced there was a contingent of people who came alive, sang along, etc. Clearly there for the "artist", and nothing else. If you replaced the rapper with Slayer, you have a bunch of long hairs there because holy crap Slayer for free????? It's completely ignorant to think that the entertainment doesn't bring in certain people that only have interest in that.

Exactly, which is why the University shouldn't be making this a concert. It's a sporting event. And because of that, young children will be there. It's no place for F-bombs and whore references. If the U wants to make this a student-only event and bring a rapper in, go for it. But don't market it to the families of the community when part of the entertainment is not family friendly.