Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch espn says it isn’t available and I have U-verse

Those demands are insane

The school already provided those opportunities to minorities to begin with
They're non sensical. Some idiot draws something racist and someone called marginalized students get money?
Sensitivity training again? For everyone? All the time? More cultural events really.
Let's deal with the idiot who did it and not punish everyone at the University.

Sweeping these things under the carpet and ignoring them is never the best thing. And most of the SU announcements are looking for info from anyone that may have seen something.
Sweeping? Who's sweeping? Hope SU deals with the real situation and not the hysteria of the 'protesters'.

Sweeping? Who's sweeping? Hope SU deals with the real situation and not the hysteria of the 'protesters'.

they aren’t. That’s not what I said.

I feel like the university is getting the sheet end of the stick.
Take the Asian based graffiti the other day... 30 years ago Eddie Murphy basically said the same thing on his comedy Album, and he rose to super stardom. And we all laughed. Today he’d be murdered on Twitter.

Students are there According to my boy.

Attachments

• 1490C129-37D2-446F-AFFB-3A68A70EC0F2.jpeg
    1490C129-37D2-446F-AFFB-3A68A70EC0F2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
So in multiple parts of campus you’re getting similar tagging, and hate emails directed at the members of the student government? And there just happened to be a list of demands ready to go when this went down to the point that it was ready for the Chancellor when he immediately returned to campus?

Someone is taking the time to tag random buildings across campus from each other? And then you have people emailing the student government which isn’t even playing a notable role in any of this?

I have absolutely no idea the veracity of any of this, the same as any of you, but there’s a lot of things fishy about this whole situation.

As someone who lived at Day Hall for two years and was also around at the time of the Denny's incident, I'll chime in:

When I was a freshman, both Day and Flint were almost exclusively white. I'm not exaggerating when I say there was one black male student and one black female student per floor. Most minority students were placed in Brewster/Boland. If you were white and living in B/B, you were probably getting a lot of financial aid. Again, I'm not embellishing here. This was clear segregation. A large contingent of minority students protested and the university took action. The following year, Day and Flint became more diverse.

So as a sophomore, I was living in the same room on the same floor in the same dorm and instead of sharing the space with two black students and the rest white, now there were black students, Latino students and Asian students. I was initially proud of the university for doing the right thing. But there was one problem: The RAs needed racial diversity training and didn't get it. As you might suspect, they disproportionately targeted the black students on my floor. I lived next door to two black students. Sometimes they would have two or three friends over. They had the door closed and music was playing, but you could only hear it as you walked by. Still, they were routinely warned to keep the noise level down and were often written up by the female RA who wasn't even assigned to our wing. Contrast this with my room, where I almost always kept the door open while playing video games, watching TV, and/or listening to music, all of which could be heard down the hall. I never received so much as a warning. One time I actually went to the male RA and asked him why I wasn't getting written up while my neighbors were. He didn't have an answer for that.

Fast forward to Halloween, and someone vandalized the female RA's car. Despite lacking anything resembling proof, she accused the minority students on our floor. That was the last straw. We pushed back and demanded a meeting with the dorm staff. The RA was re-assigned and all of the students were treated equally for the rest of the year. It was glorious.

Point is, this stuff has been going on for a long time, and on the Mount in particular.

For those of you who don't know about the Denny's incident:

As someone who lived at Day Hall for two years and was also around at the time of the Denny's incident, I'll chime in:

When I was a freshman, both Day and Flint were almost exclusively white. I'm not exaggerating when I say there was one black male student and one black female student per floor. Most minority students were placed in Brewster/Boland. If you were white and living in B/B, you were probably getting a lot of financial aid. Again, I'm not embellishing here. This was clear segregation. A large contingent of minority students protested and the university took action. The following year, Day and Flint became more diverse.

So as a sophomore, I was living in the same room on the same floor in the same dorm and instead of sharing the space with two black students and the rest white, now there were black students, Latino students and Asian students. I was initially proud of the university for doing the right thing. But there was one problem: The RAs needed racial diversity training and didn't get it. As you might suspect, they disproportionately targeted the black students on my floor. I lived next door to two black students. Sometimes they would have two or three friends over. They had the door closed and music was playing, but you could only hear it as you walked by. Still, they were routinely warned to keep the noise level down and were often written up by the female RA who wasn't even assigned to our wing. Contrast this with my room, where I almost always kept the door open while playing video games, watching TV, and/or listening to music, all of which could be heard down the hall. I never received so much as a warning. One time I actually went to the male RA and asked him why I wasn't getting written up while my neighbors were. He didn't have an answer for that.

Fast forward to Halloween, and someone vandalized the female RA's car. Despite lacking anything resembling proof, she accused the minority students on our floor. That was the last straw. We pushed back and demanded a meeting with the dorm staff. The RA was re-assigned and all of the students were treated equally for the rest of the year. It was glorious.

Point is, this stuff has been going on for a long time, and on the Mount in particular.

For those of you who don't know about the Denny's incident:
I was a freshman in Brewster. It was renovated my freshman year and was really nice. I didn’t receive financial aid.
The demographics of B/B were not what you describe. Again you are probably a little older.
University though needs to find the perpetrators of these crimes and throw the books at that them.

I was a freshman in Brewster. It was renovated my freshman year and was really nice. I didn’t receive financial aid.
The demographics of B/B were not what you describe. Again you are probably a little older.
University though needs to find the perpetrators of these crimes and throw the books at that them.
Yeah, I'm talking about 1994-95. Everything changed the next year.

Are they seriously going to announce everytime a "bias" incident occurs. The lack of foresight on the hill right now is astonishing

JeremyCuse, it’s the definition of a public safety issue if students of color are being harassed and called n****rs.

It really doesn’t get more blatant than that. It’s really shocking to me that people can’t grasp this.

The university not only has a duty to prevent this type of stuff from happening (which it’s failing miserably at), it has the responsibility to notify students when such dangerous acts do occur. If I’m an Asian student or other student of color I might make sure I’m with a bigger group of friends. I might drink less to ensure I can have as much control over my surroundings as possible.

The next step is literally violence against these student groups, which is why it’s absolutely the university’s duty to communicate when these incidents are happening.

The sheer shortsightedness of many on here is really disappointing.

Furthermore, substitute SU’s campus for America 2019 and what we’re seeing is not at all surprising. There’s been a rise in hate groups and racial motivated acts of violence in the past few years. Hell, thousands of dollars had to be spent to put Emmitt Till’s memorial sign behind BULLETPROOF GLASS because white people wont stop vandalizing it, shooting at it, and posing at it with guns.

JeremyCuse, it’s the definition of a public safety issue if students of color are being harassed and called n****rs.

It really doesn’t get more blatant than that. It’s really shocking to me that people can’t grasp this.

The university not only has a duty to prevent this type of stuff from happening (which it’s failing miserably at), it has the responsibility to notify students when such dangerous acts do occur. If I’m an Asian student or other student of color I might make sure I’m with a bigger group of friends. I might drink less to ensure I can have as much control over my surroundings as possible.

The next step is literally violence against these student groups, which is why it’s absolutely the university’s duty to communicate when these incidents are happening.

Furthermore, substitute SU’s campus for America 2019 and what we’re seeing is not at all surprising. There’s been a rise in hate groups and racial motivated acts of violence in the past few years. Hell, thousands of dollars had to be spent to put Emmitt Till’s memorial sign behind BULLETPROOF GLASS because white people wont stop vandalizing it, shooting at it, and posing at it with guns.
Wait, have their actually been any in person, real incidents?

That would be news to me.

As far as I know, it’s all graffiti. That’s how cowards operate. Nobody is in actual danger IMO. It’s scumbag cowards trying to get a rise, and a few copycats that are cut from the same cloth.

As far as I know, it’s all graffiti. That’s how cowards operate. Nobody is in actual danger IMO. It’s scumbag cowards trying to get a rise, and a few copycats that are cut from the same cloth.

it started as graffiti. Now it’s moved on to verbal abuse using racist language. Next is physical violence.

Yes. There have been multiple in-person instances of students being harassed with hate speech.

People that don’t think this is a safety issue need a big time reality check.

How has the university failed miserably at this? What exactly do you expect them to do? Camp out in every bathroom on campus? I’m sure they are doing everything they can to catch the person/ppl who did this but it’s mostly like finding a needle in a haystack.

You keep lecturing the board on its short sightedness and act as if everyone here is a beneath you. Your entitled to you opinion (No matter how dumb it might be) and so is everyone else on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom