Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick review: a criminal case is at the top of this pyramid, a civil case is in the middle, and enforcing SU's Code of Conduct is towards the bottom.

View attachment 172970
This is a really well put together graphic. I will say that in my experience, substantial evidence is closer to probable cause or preponderance of evidence (above a reasonable suspicion).

in all fairness though, folks are dismissing the very important and fundamental right of “confrontation.” I haven’t seen SU’s Code of Conduct, but every disciplinary due process scheme I have ever encountered includes such a right. I’m ok with interim action, but no final decision should be rendered without affording the accused such right. I think Syverud’s original statement ( and guy, he went to Georgetown) was excellent in that he alluded that due process would ultimately be afforded “swiftly.”

Last edited:
JeremyCuse, it’s the definition of a public safety issue if students of color are being harassed and called n****rs.

It really doesn’t get more blatant than that. It’s really shocking to me that people can’t grasp this.

The university not only has a duty to prevent this type of stuff from happening (which it’s failing miserably at), it has the responsibility to notify students when such dangerous acts do occur.
I have a general issue when huge organizations get blamed for things individuals do. How can a university be blamed for a heinous act when we don't know who committed it and what was said? How can SU prevent thousands of people from being an idiot or breaking the law? I agree they have to act in accordance with responsible stewardship and accountability. That can be debated.

Please show me one post that has been bizarre. And what makes you think I know nothing about migrants in Sweden? Have you spent multiple weeks there, or other EU nations that have taken in millions of economic migrants, in the past 3-5 years? Is it your opinion that the assimilation has been a success? Do you think most of them have been integrated into the educational and economic system, and are contributing to society? I'd love to hear your opinion on that, but that's another topic. My comment was related to this discussion about alleged racism.

My comment was in reply to another poster (an academic at SU) who claims that, in his/her own words, that:

"white people are the only people capable of being racist."

How can people honestly believe this? At some point in the very recent past, the definition of racism was conveniently changed to include "systemic power". This changed it from an objective definition to a subjective definition, only applicable to whites in the US. The inter-sectional victim groups applauded this, and it now allows them to think they can say or do anything they want, as long as they claim they're victims, because, as you well know, it's impossible for them to be racist. According to some in this thread, Chinese Americans can not be racist towards Korean Americans because, according to the same posters, Chinese don't hold "systemic power".

What is the threshold for systemic power? If an ethnic group holds 51% of the systemic power, are they still racist? What if it drops to 49% overnight, are they suddenly not racist? Do you see how ridiculous your belief is now?

The poster further went on to explain that whether or not an individual is a racist is a function of the country the individual currently lives in. So, if a white racist American moved to Indonesia, are they no longer a racist? That is nonsense.

I agree with you on this. The post saying “only white people can be racist” was so ridiculous. All people can be racist no matter your skin color.

From Tony Bruin's Facebook page:

1574032759314.png

I have a general issue when huge organizations get blamed for things individuals do. How can a university be blamed for a heinous act when we don't know who committed it and what was said? How can SU prevent thousands of people from being an idiot or breaking the law? I agree they have to act in accordance with responsible stewardship and accountability. That can be debated.

Yes and no. Since this is a college sports board, I will use the example of a program failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance. SU, like all large organizations, has a code of conduct it requires it students and employees to follow. That is step one. Step two is properly enforcing the code of conduct. If the organization either does not have a code of conduct or is simply playing lip service to it, then it should be vilified and the organization should be held accountable.

To be effective, in my opinion, the protesters need to identify issues with either the code of conduct, itself, or how it is being enforced. Obviously, they would like more transparency and issues brought to light more quickly. What about the other demands (I have not seen them all)? Can reasons be articulated as to how the demands will either modify the code of conduct to better protect people of color or how new enforcement mechanisms will do the same?

While I understand that Festivus is right around the corner, using these incidents to support a general airing of the grievances seems counterproductive. It makes the focus muddled. Most people (I hope) are onboard with stopping racial incidents on campus and bringing the perpetrators to justice. When also trying to encompass fixing all of society's perceived social ills, support begins to fracture.

Yeah, he's good at this stuff, usually appreciate his takes. I just take issue with the idea that this has become headline news.

It's bad, we get it. Wash it off, move on. And publicly smack down whatever "tolerant" community members are petitioning to have race-based roommate selection as a response to this tempest in a teapot.
It’s your “let’s just move on” comments that cut to the heart of the arguments that students and young people are making these days about systemic racism and systems of oppression that exist in all facets of American society. Calls to “move on” have been part of the problem for generations. We can’t even begin to solve our issues of racism, discrimination and inherent bias until we actually face these problems head on, truly educate ourselves beyond what we think we know, and have real honest conversations about race and racial privilege. White people give a lot of lip service about wanting to solve our country’s racism problem, to face the destructive legacy of slavery and Jim Crow. But do we actually want anything to change? As white people, I think we don’t want to look at and acknowledge the privileges that are inherent in being white, privileges that we don’t even realize we have and take for granted every day. And to fix things, we might actually have to give up some of our power and privilege, and that notion makes some people very angry. My suggestion to all of you is to stop judging and dismissing young people and instead try to listen more when it comes to what they’re saying about these issues.

Apparently this was the graffiti directed at the Asians. I think I saw stuff 10x worse than this in the bathroom stalls in Middle School.
So did I. How does that make it okay? Are you Asian? If not, can’t you at least imagine how an Asian person seeing those kinds of racist comments (and much worse) all their lives can have a psychologically destructive effect?

Last edited:
Hmmm, can you get it all at once?

I don’t think it’s an all for one fund. With multiple instances they are hoping for multiple people to come forth. I think trueblue would get about $1.99.

So, a few observations from my end, as a graduate student at SU whose main area of focus is race, and racism on college campuses.

First, this is not an isolated incident just at SU. All PWIs (Predominantly White Institutions) struggle with issues of race and racism. That is in part because we live in a racist society, but it's also because students often don't have much of a semblance of cultural/racial literacy and competency before they come to college. A prime example of this is when I hear white students use the phrase "colored people" EVERY semester I teach a class at SU. This has happened EVERY. SINGLE. SEMESTER for over five years straight. I've also heard it at other schools too. Whether or not the intent is to harm when that phrase is uttered by an unaware student, the larger lack of awareness remains.

Secondly, SU is absolutely a hostile place for students of color. Point blank. Full stop. How many examples do you need? The "blackface halloween" incident in the early 00's. How about "Over the Hill" student TV programming a few years later? Or the Theta Tau incident last year? Or the Ackerman assault last spring, which the administration tried to downplay and said wasn't racially motivated. Or, if you'd like something more common and everyplace, how about the numerous times I've heard white students in the SU basketball section next to me, while we're watching games at the Dome refer to our black basketball players as "monkeys" and "n****rs". Students of color are routinely harassed at SU, their experiences often invalidated by faculty. I know this because I've worked with many students of color on campus at SU through different programs, and I've also seen it happen.

Lastly, the big issue here is that structurally, SU isn't working hard enough to put their money where their mouth is in regards to equity and inclusion. You swell the student body with international students and enjoy their 100% tuition (international students are not eligible for any form of public financial aid assistance) and the opportunity to tout your "diversity numbers" but they're not supported once they get here. Many programs designed to attract, support, and mentor students of color have either been cut completely, or grossly scaled back. (Paris Noir, POSSE, CSTEP, etc). The SEM 100 class that was instituted as a requirement for all incoming first-year students in the wake of the Theta Tau incident is an absolute joke, with little to no discussion about important racial or social issues. This most recent example of the administration telling students to keep this incident "quiet" so that other students would not get upset is abhorrent.

Having working with many students of color over the last few years at SU, I'm noticing that this generation's group of students are far more in tune with and more likely to advocate for social issues that affect them directly. They're also more likely to demand more from the institution in terms of equity and inclusion, and to voice their displeasure when those feelings and changes aren't met with support and structural change.

This is absolutely a "moment" happening at SU right now, and I wish more people were able to understand both how deep these issues of race, racism and inclusion run on this campus, and why our students are rightfully so upset how their "SU experience" is impacted as a result.
Thanks so much for sharing, Hak. A first person perspective on this board is much needed.

Yes and no. Since this is a college sports board, I will use the example of a program failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance. SU, like all large organizations, has a code of conduct it requires it students and employees to follow. That is step one. Step two is properly enforcing the code of conduct. If the organization either does not have a code of conduct or is simply playing lip service to it, then it should be vilified and the organization should be held accountable.

To be effective, in my opinion, the protesters need to identify issues with either the code of conduct, itself, or how it is being enforced. Obviously, they would like more transparency and issues brought to light more quickly. What about the other demands (I have not seen them all)? Can reasons be articulated as to how the demands will either modify the code of conduct to better protect people of color or how new enforcement mechanisms will do the same?

While I understand that Festivus is right around the corner, using these incidents to support a general airing of the grievances seems counterproductive. It makes the focus muddled. Most people (I hope) are onboard with stopping racial incidents on campus and bringing the perpetrators to justice. When also trying to encompass fixing all of society's perceived social ills, support begins to fracture.
Very good post. I generally agree but think in this day where every cell phone is a bull horn, and every student has to have a cause, that by screaming institutional racism the second some idiot draws a swastika is like screaming rape every time a pee pee is drawn in a bathroom stall. I personally don't think a university has a duty to let everyone on earth know the second a swastika is drawn. It gives it far more importance and relevance than it truly is. Is that swastika seen by 3 people really indicative on how 20K students and hundreds of thousands of CNY citizens feel. NO. They don't know what they don't know and yet the protesters want them to now post every detail about the perpetrator, the investigation, the process. The reason many well intention-ed organizations don't want things to get out is because it will create a 'fire' in a crowded theater mentality. Hair on fire, victimhood mentality. I have not heard one thing SU has done they shouldn't have and yet they are being yelled at by thousands live, and virtually that they are part of the problem. An act is done by an individual and now a power grab by 'victims' the result. Because a bear shits a swastika in the middle of the woods and its seen by one hiker it does now mean everyone has to get a picture on their cell phone? I'll call it victim publicity. We know people are racist but that alone doesn't make everyone the perpetrator nor a victim.

And to fix things, we might actually have to give up some of our power and privilege, and that notion makes some people very angry.
Just lip service mumbo jumbo. Make a list.
What power or privilege do I have that you don't.
Want me to write you a check?

Just lip service mumbo jumbo. Make a list.
What power or privilege do I have that you don't.
Want me to write you a check?
I’m a white person, as I stated in my comment. Anyhow, as white people, you and I benefit every day from our systemic privilege in a society where white people dominate the power structures (aka the system of white supremacy we grew up in and still currently live in). I do not have the time or energy to educate you on all the privileges you and I and our families benefit from and that your ancestors benefited from. But I do hope you take the time to start educating yourself, because it does seem like you want to understand. Here are a couple of places to start:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors