Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, it does.
I think as a white guy growing up in upper middle class suburbs, white privilege exists.

However, I doubt the lower income white kid with a drug addicted single parent, barely avoiding eviction each month feels white privilege.

There’s levels to this. There’s personal experience. To flat out disregard someone’s struggle because they’re white is pretty damn racist.

Maybe it’s more economic privilege that happens to skew white..

Of course there’s a criminal justice component of this, amongst other things - employment, housing etc, that also needs to be recognized.

Simply put... its not that simple, and while white privilege exists, it’s not a blanket description for all white people.

Last edited:
it should be left here. Why hid it? This is an important issue. It’s gets more exposure here. Wasn’t the administration getting flack for seeping this under the rug? uncomfortable conversations need to take place.

I said we will leave it here. But I did say we’ll see how it goes. It’s a touchy situation with many opinions. We won’t let it get out of hand with a bunch of hate for each other personally.

a valid 2 cents. It did start here because the boycott was of a b-ball game. As more SU releases came out it spurred more and more discussion of the whys and why nots and people’s opinions of the issues. There is no great place to put the thread. The OT board would be the obvious but since so few people go there, any updates from SU might be missed.

We’ll leave it here for now and see how it goes. If it gets out of hand we’ll either move it to OT, lock it, or only allow SU announcements and media reports and delete anything else.
okidoki.

it should be left here. Why hid it? This is an important issue. It’s gets more exposure here. Wasn’t the administration getting flack for seeping this under the rug? uncomfortable conversations need to take place.

No one is advocating sweeping anything under the rug smh. I was literally suggesting moving it from the forum about basketball talk to the forum about everything else since its about something else.

I'm fine with it staying here, as per Bees comment. It was honestly just a thought.

Ah reverse racism. The greatest existential threat facing America as agreed upon by 9 out of 10 Facebook Uncles.
Thought you were above this fray?

I wish someone had told my company that before they made me take some diversity training which included white privilege, male privilege, etc.
I guess everyone of simple number majority is of privilege in every situation. No need to think or reason anymore.

“By HIS definition”
It’s a widely accepted definition and the same definition used in some of the courses I took at SU over 20 years ago.

The problem here is that racism has been redefined over the years to mean the same thing as prejudice or discrimination. It’s actually more complicated than yet, which is what Hak is trying to explain.

It’s a widely accepted definition and the same definition used in some of the courses I took at SU over 20 years ago.

The problem here is that racism has been redefined over the years to mean the same thing as prejudice or discrimination. It’s actually more complicated than yet, which is what Hak is trying to explain.
I mean... you’re telling people to disregard the Oxford definition of racism, the one most of us common folk know, because we haven’t taken the time to learn some nuanced social justice version that is deemed acceptable in your circles.

Not that I necessarily disagree with yours and Hak’s definition, but it’s not surprising that there’s people disagreeing with your definition... because it’s not the actual definition...

So, if the University wanted to install cameras everywhere in order to catch the perpetrators, would the students have an issue with that? Serious question.

I'm thinking they would (based upon privacy issues), but wouldn't that show that the University wanted this bull to stop? I know that opens up an entirely different can or worms, but can they have it both ways?

This is definitely an OT thread at this point, BTW.

There's not much in this discussion that has to do with SU sports.

I mean... you’re telling people to disregard the Oxford definition of racism, the one most of us common folk know, because we haven’t taken the time to learn some nuanced social justice version that is deemed acceptable in your circles.

Not that I necessarily disagree with yours and Hak’s definition, but it’s not surprising that there’s people disagreeing with your definition... because it’s not the actual definition...
Two things:

1. Where did I tell people to disregard a definition of racism?
2. Both definitions are in most dictionaries, including Oxford.

I think as a white guy growing up in upper middle class suburbs, white privilege exists.

However, I doubt the lower income white kid with a drug addicted single parent, barely avoiding eviction each month feels white privilege.

There’s levels to this. There’s personal experience. To flat out disregard someone’s struggle because they’re white is pretty damn racist.

Maybe it’s more economic privilege that happens to skew white..

Of course there’s a criminal justice component of this, amongst other things - employment, housing etc, that also needs to be recognized.

Simply put... its not that simple, and while white privilege exists, it’s not a blanket description for all white people.
You essentially explained how white privilege exists for lower income whites. I don’t think anyone is suggesting that white privilege is exactly the same for all whites. Yes, there’s nuance involved.

At this point, the copycats are forcing the University's hand. They are going to have to go very heavy-handed in how they address this. It's becoming ridiculous.

Unless there going to hire 300 people to literally monitor each bathroom on the campus and allow in only 1 person at at time and then check each stall after 1 person use there literally isnt anything SU can do about it. You cant come down on heavy when its impossible to prove who did it.

No, it isn’t. Low income whites benefit from privilege when it comes to the police, employment, housing, education, and even shopping. Do they enjoy the same privilege as upper class whites? Of course not.

Simply untrue and naive. Low income whites are arguably the most disadvantaged group.

A couple of decades of academic brainwashing have delivered frightening results, especially for people challenged in real world experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom