Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly CNN and one other major news outlet were on campus today at the protest.

I’m coming from the standpoint that racism is not a two-way street or revolving door. That there’s no such thing as “reverse racism”. Because we live in a white supremacist country, White people cannot be the victims of racism.
As a white person who has been discriminated against based on my race, and subsequently won a civil action because of it this is highly offensive.

why is this hateful kind of post permitted here?

As a white person who has been discriminated against based on my race, and subsequently won a civil action because of it this is highly offensive.

why is this hateful kind of post permitted here?
How is it hateful?

Just answer the question.
He just said that one of the worst things I’ve experienced in my life couldn’t have happened. If you only knew the hardship it caused me to go through.

He just said that one of the worst things I’ve experienced in my life couldn’t have happened. If you only knew the hardship it caused me to go through.
Well, if you’re not going to answer the question, by all means, tell us your story.

And BTW, whatever it is you went through, he’s not suggesting you were not discriminated against. He’s saying that said discrimination would not be considered racism by his definition.

Not quite sure what is wrong with that statement, particularly considering when he made it. The other incidents (for lack of a better word) hadn't come out/happened yet, correct? I may have the timing wrong, though.
Watch JB at visit the protesters. They can't take yes for a answer.

People have different definitions for racism. Such as racism is driven by superiority and power. Many feel that can only be the white race. Of course many feel racism is the opposite and can be perpetuated by any race against another race. Those that feel only whites can display racism will say that whites that feel they have been a victim of racism have actually been a victim of prejudice. It’s opinions.

One thing that won’t be tolerated in this thread are attacks on each other because of their opinion. Disagree and argue but don’t take shots and make it personal.

I’m a white person, as I stated in my comment. Anyhow, as white people, you and I benefit every day from our systemic privilege in a society where white people dominate the power structures (aka the system of white supremacy we grew up in and still currently live in). I do not have the time or energy to educate you on all the privileges you and I and our families benefit from and that your ancestors benefited from. But I do hope you take the time to start educating yourself, because it does seem like you want to understand. Here are a couple of places to start:

You seem to be condescending. I know what people say it is, and I reject it part and parcel. There are racist acts and inherent legacies to many historical atrocities. But White Privilege is a narrative to remove specifics from public debate and to simplify complex historical societal structures. White Privilege allows those to use it so everything is racist when they say it is no matter specifics.

Any thoughts to moving this off the hoops board? A valuable discussion to have indeed, but just as the original protest was never about basketball, I don’t necessarily think this is either.

just my 2 cents

a valid 2 cents. It did start here because the boycott was of a b-ball game. As more SU releases came out it spurred more and more discussion of the whys and why nots and people’s opinions of the issues. There is no great place to put the thread. The OT board would be the obvious but since so few people go there, any updates from SU might be missed.

We’ll leave it here for now and see how it goes. If it gets out of hand we’ll either move it to OT, lock it, or only allow SU announcements and media reports and delete anything else.

a valid 2 cents. It did start here because the boycott was of a b-ball game. As more SU releases game out is spurned more and more discussion of the whys and why nots and people’s opinions of the issues. There is no great place to put the thread. The OT bird would be the obvious but since so few people go there, any updates from SU might be missed.

We’ll leave it here for now and see how it goes. If it gets out of hand we’ll either move it to OT, lock it, or only allow SU announcements and media reports and delete anything else.

it should be left here. Why hid it? This is an important issue. It’s gets more exposure here. Wasn’t the administration getting flack for seeping this under the rug? uncomfortable conversations need to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom