Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this true though? Knew it was down when Cantor allowed everyone and their brother in. But thought the profile was rising since then.

Party school matters none. Ivy League schools are just as big party schools. Couldn’t mean less in my eyes.

One could argue (hell, I could argue, without a shred of quantitative evidence to back it up) that Ivy partiers do some stuff (academic, philanthropic, cultural) that offsets the partying that the dead-eyed pajama boys at SU don't.

I know people won't like what looks like a baseless distinction, but I'm sticking with it.

Stroll down Euclid at 1 on a weekend or go to any local public place (restaurant, grocery store) at certain times of the day, you'll get a clearer picture. This could be where some of the minority students' discomfort stems from.

So, a few observations from my end, as a graduate student at SU whose main area of focus is race, and racism on college campuses.

First, this is not an isolated incident just at SU. All PWIs (Predominantly White Institutions) struggle with issues of race and racism. That is in part because we live in a racist society, but it's also because students often don't have much of a semblance of cultural/racial literacy and competency before they come to college. A prime example of this is when I hear white students use the phrase "colored people" EVERY semester I teach a class at SU. This has happened EVERY. SINGLE. SEMESTER for over five years straight. I've also heard it at other schools too. Whether or not the intent is to harm when that phrase is uttered by an unaware student, the larger lack of awareness remains.

Secondly, SU is absolutely a hostile place for students of color. Point blank. Full stop. How many examples do you need? The "blackface halloween" incident in the early 00's. How about "Over the Hill" student TV programming a few years later? Or the Theta Tau incident last year? Or the Ackerman assault last spring, which the administration tried to downplay and said wasn't racially motivated. Or, if you'd like something more common and everyplace, how about the numerous times I've heard white students in the SU basketball section next to me, while we're watching games at the Dome refer to our black basketball players as "monkeys" and "n****rs". Students of color are routinely harassed at SU, their experiences often invalidated by faculty. I know this because I've worked with many students of color on campus at SU through different programs, and I've also seen it happen.

Lastly, the big issue here is that structurally, SU isn't working hard enough to put their money where their mouth is in regards to equity and inclusion. You swell the student body with international students and enjoy their 100% tuition (international students are not eligible for any form of public financial aid assistance) and the opportunity to tout your "diversity numbers" but they're not supported once they get here. Many programs designed to attract, support, and mentor students of color have either been cut completely, or grossly scaled back. (Paris Noir, POSSE, CSTEP, etc). The SEM 100 class that was instituted as a requirement for all incoming first-year students in the wake of the Theta Tau incident is an absolute joke, with little to no discussion about important racial or social issues. This most recent example of the administration telling students to keep this incident "quiet" so that other students would not get upset is abhorrent.

Having working with many students of color over the last few years at SU, I'm noticing that this generation's group of students are far more in tune with and more likely to advocate for social issues that affect them directly. They're also more likely to demand more from the institution in terms of equity and inclusion, and to voice their displeasure when those feelings and changes aren't met with support and structural change.

This is absolutely a "moment" happening at SU right now, and I wish more people were able to understand both how deep these issues of race, racism and inclusion run on this campus, and why our students are rightfully so upset how their "SU experience" is impacted as a result.

Last edited:
. . .

As for the graffiti itself (second hand info) - the N word appeared several times, along with slurs against Asians and several minority student's names called out specifically. Pretty ugly stuff. Perhaps some of this is a result of declining academic standing and rising "party school" status. I know Kent hates that label, but what is the school doing to change the profile of admitted/incoming students?

This does not sound like "party school" racism, which I typically equate to stupid drunk white kids doing something racist because they (1) think it is funny and (2) do not understand how minorities would find it offensive. This sounds like personal, white nationalist racism or perhaps, black trench coat, loner, racism. This type of racist can be academically proficient and not bring down the academic standing of the school.

So, a few observations from my end, as a graduate student at SU whose main area of focus is race, and racism on college campuses.

First, this is not an isolated incident at SU. All PWIs (Predominantly White Institutions) struggle with issues of race and racism. That is in part because we live in a racist society, but it's also because students often don't have much of a semblance of cultural/racial literacy and competency before they come to college. A prime example of this is when I hear white students use the phrase "colored people" EVERY semester I teach a class at SU. This has happened EVERY. SINGLE. SEMESTER for over five years straight. I've also heard it at other schools too. Whether or not the intent is to harm when that phrase is uttered by an unaware student, the larger lack of awareness remains.

Secondly, SU is absolutely a hostile place for students of color. Point blank. Full stop. How many examples do you need? The "blackface halloween" incident in the early 00's. How about "Over the Hill" student TV programming a few years later? Or the Theta Tau incident last year? Or the Ackerman assault last spring, which the administration tried to downplay and said wasn't racially motivated. Or, if you'd like something more common and everyplace, how about the numerous times I've heard white students in the SU basketball section next to me, while we're watching games at the Dome refer to our black basketball players as "monkeys" and "n****rs". Students of color are routinely harassed at SU, their experiences often invalidated by faculty. I know this because I've worked with many students of color on campus at SU through different programs, and I've also seen it happen.

Lastly, the big issue here is that structurally, SU isn't working hard enough to put their money where their mouth is in regards to equity and inclusion. You swell the student body with international students and enjoy their 100% tuition (international students are not eligible for any form of public financial aid assistance) and the opportunity to tout your "diversity numbers" but they're not supported once they get here. Many programs designed to attract, support, and mentor students of color have either been cut completely, or grossly scaled back. (Paris Noir, POSSE, CSTEP, etc). The SEM 100 class that was instituted as a requirement for all incoming first-year students in the wake of the Theta Tau incident is an absolute joke, with little to no discussion about important racial or social issues. This most recent example of the administration telling students to keep this incident "quiet" so that other students would not get upset is abhorrent.

Having working with many students of color over the last few years at SU, I'm noticing that this generation's group of students are far more in tune with and more likely to advocate for social issues that affect them directly. They're also more likely to demand more from the institution in terms of equity and inclusion, and to voice their displeasure when those feelings and changes aren't met with support and structural change.

This is absolutely a "moment" happening at SU right now, and I wish more people were able to understand both how deep these issues of race, racism and inclusion run on this campus, and why our students are rightfully so upset how their "SU experience" is impacted as a result.
Thank you for saying this and adding your prospective.

To add to it, I think student activity is also a recognition of the rise of white nationalism on other campuses and standing up to it. This isn't happening in a bubble.

Thank you for saying this and adding your prospective.

To add to it, I think student activity is also a recognition of the rise of white nationalism on other campuses and standing up to it. This isn't happening in a bubble.

Absolutely. To say that this is an isolated incident or the result of a few bad apples completely ignores the rise of white nationalism and white supremacists in our country more broadly. I'm not saying that the person(s) responsible for these incidents at SU is part of those groups. But at the same time there's a direct correlation between the rise of those groups and increasing incidents like we've just seen at SU.

First, this is not an isolated incident at SU. All PWIs (Predominantly White Institutions) struggle with issues of race and racism. That is in part because we live in a racist society, but it's also because students often don't have much of a semblance of cultural/racial literacy and competency before they come to college. A prime example of this is when I hear white students use the phrase "colored people" EVERY semester I teach a class at SU. This has happened EVERY. SINGLE. SEMESTER for over five years straight. I've also heard it at other schools too. Whether or not the intent is to harm when that phrase is uttered by an unaware student, the larger lack of awareness remains.

Really appreciate the perspective that you provided here. There are too many people posting in this thread with absolutely no clue about the climate on campus or what has been going on there for a while and just want to say "toughen up crybabies." The H0T Takes by some in here have been ridiculous.

Really appreciate the perspective that you provided here. There are too many people posting in this thread with absolutely no clue about the climate on campus or what has been going on there for a while and just want to say "toughen up crybabies." The H0T Takes by some in here have been ridiculous.
Could it be some of us just think there’s better ways of handling this than harassing prospective students and protesting support for the basketball team.

One can support the right of people to protest and also find the way they’re doing it to be obnoxious.

I’m sure there’s much more to this than a lot of us realize, but when you have “public safety notices” about an Asian glory hole joke, you risk people not taking you as seriously as they should.

No problem. I am by no means an expert, but more connected to this stuff than most. I wanted to let the flames settle a little bit before weighing in, but yes, most don't have an idea of what's happening on campus unless you're there "in it." The "toughen up" rhetoric or the "ohhh, it's not that bad, it's just words" is really misguided and archaic, IMO.

For Boeheim to say that SU isn't a hostile place for student of color didn't surprise me, because really, he has zero interaction with 99% of the student body, outside his basketball team. I'm not going to slay him for saying that, but he really shouldn't be speaking on this and making statements like that when he really doesn't have a perspective and experience that allows him to make such a statement.

Last edited:
Could it be some of us just think there’s better ways of handling this than harassing prospective students and protesting support for the basketball team.

One can support the right of people to protest and also find the way they’re doing it to be obnoxious.

I’m sure there’s much more to this than a lot of us realize, but when you have “public safety notices” about an Asian glory hole joke, you risk people not taking you as seriously as they should.

Just stop, man. Quit while you're ahead. When the changing nature of U.S. higher ed and our global economy means that many more international students from mainland China and other Asian countries are coming to U.S. colleges and universities, almost all of them as full-pay students, and are subjected to what you call a "joke", it's a big deal.

You're really out of touch with the times.

Great post.

I still maintain that a) characterizing graffiti as a "hate crime" is disingenuous at best, and b) to whatever extent the students are articulating (1) what the university did wrong and (2) what tangible improvements they should make and how they should make them (and I don't think the first has been well-articulated, since I've read articles about this and every post in this thread and it's still lost on me), they are losing the PR fight by presenting a problematic -- and in one case plainly racist -- list of demands to the administration.

For Boeheim to say that SU isn't a hostile place for student of color didn't surprise me, because really, he has zero interaction with 99% of the student body, outside his basketball team. I'm not going to slay him for saying that, but he really shouldn't be speaking on this and making statements like that when he really doesn't have a perspective and experience that allows him to make such a statement.

This touches on a problem not exclusive to SU but that in my experience is worse at SU than some other schools: the decision-makers really aren't part of the university community in the same way that their counterparts were a generation ago.

Boeheim's a special case, but there are a lot of others like him. Drive your SUV to Manley every day, interact with a couple dozen students, head home at the end of the day. Yeah, that gives you some insight into the vibe of campus (eyeroll).

Too many silos, too much geographic seclusion.

Is Ackerman considered university jurisdiction or city fo Syracuse?

i thought this was all because of some graffiti

At least one basketball players seems to appreciate it.

No problem. I am by no means an expert, but more connected to this stuff than most. I wanted to let the flames settle a little bit before weighing in, but yes, most don't have an idea of what's happening on campus unless you're there "in it." The "toughen up" rhetoric or the "ohhh, it's not that bad, it's just words" is really misguided and archaic, IMO.

(See above)...^^^^.

Yeah, working with African American student-athletes his entire working career and being on campus since the 60’s surely spits out a man who has no relevant experience to draw from.

Just stop, man. Quit while you're ahead. When the changing nature of U.S. higher ed and our global economy means that many more international students from mainland China and other Asian countries are coming to U.S. colleges and universities, almost all of them as full-pay students, and are subjected to what you call a "joke", it's a big deal.

You're really out of touch with the times.

I guess I just don't understand what students and maybe yourself expect SU to do in these kind of situations. Taking this specific one for example, wouldn't it be in the best interest to immediately have this painted over and to review for any information someone has about a culprit? By making a school wide announcement and it goign on twitter 99% more of the asian student population will see it versus it just being cleaned up as soon as it was discovered. As for Asian students being subjected to something like this I don't know in what world its possible to avoid any group be they black, white, native american, jewish, asian, etc etc from getting exposed to some sort of nonsense like this. I mean its literally impossible.

At least one basketball players seems to appreciate it.

Moe Neal took part in the protest as well.
I guess I just don't understand what students and maybe yourself expect SU to do in these kind of situations. Taking this specific one for example, wouldn't be in the best interest to immediately have this painted over and to review for any information someone has about a culprit? By making a school wide announcement and it goign on twitter 99% more of the asian student population will see it versus it just being cleaned up as soon as it was discovered. As for Asian students being subjected to something like this I don't know in what world its possible to avoid any group be they black, white, native american, jewish, asian, etc etc from getting exposed to some sort of nonsense like this. I mean its literally impossible.
this is where I’m at with this story.

Is Ackerman considered university jurisdiction or city fo Syracuse?

i thought this was all because of some graffiti

The ackerman thing was I believe a 15 year old female who wasnot associated in anyway with SU. I understand there was an issue with how it was handled by police that was the big uproar.

The ackerman thing was I believe a 15 year old female who wasnot associated in anyway with SU. I understand there was an issue with how it was handled by police that was the big uproar.
Does the University even hold jurisdiction over that area? There’s not much they can do if it’s outside of the university, they certainly don’t actively push students to live off campus. I didn’t go to SU so I’m not exactly sure whats on or off campus.

Does the University even hold jurisdiction over that area? There’s not much they can do if it’s outside of the university, they certainly don’t actively push students to live off campus. I didn’t go to SU so I’m not exactly sure whats on or off campus.

I don't believe they do but I think they joint investigated with the SPD. It was a terrible incident but I don't put any blame at all on SU personally but I also wasn't there so...

DPS has a memorandum of understanding with the city; they also patrol those blocks, but the city has jurisdiction and controls the cameras. They more or less work in a supporting role.

I take most of what cops say with a grain of salt, but I'm a little skeptical about the Ackerman thing after hearing directly from the people involved, both with SPD and SU. It's just a weird situation, seems most likely that it was typical late-night foolishness where the involved parties have a story that didn't check out.

Yeah, working with African American student-athletes his entire working career and being on campus since the 60’s surely spits out a man who has no relevant experience to draw from.

Maybe he should ask his African American student athletes why at least one of them supports the protests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom