Personnel changes on the OL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Personnel changes on the OL

Man you’re not kidding. Just rewatched the game and they were abysmal, all game long. 77 more than 57. As JR noted 77 is too slow of foot to take on speed rushers who are blowing right by him and too weak to stave off bull rushers who blow right through him/blow him up.

57 is slow of foot too. Cruz should be playing at least equal time so we can get real time games assessments on who is better. My $ is on Cruz being the better option.

As I said earlier, if that doesn’t happen after the film watching, it’s a red flag coaching concern. After listening to Fran’s Press conference today I think it happens.

But even worse is 0 and 89. Complete and utter liabilities in almost every way in that game.
They were really bad blocking.

The line in general really struggled to pass block and run block. GT stacked the box a bit and brought some blitzers but still.

Both Washington and Weatherspoon repeatedly got beat by edge rushers who set up out wide and were coming full speed directly at them. Both got beat to the outside as neither seemed to be quick enough to get enough depth on their kick outs. Unfortunately I think Enrique has a similar weakness in defending the pass rush on the outside as well. Not sure what we do there. Maybe Josh Miller just need a bit more time and is ready to step up to the plate?

Bradford obviously didn't have his best game. I know he got burned on a stunt and blocked nobody.
I don't remember any bad plays in particular from Petry. He played OT last year a lot but we obviously didn't see him play much in regards to a passing offense after Garret was hurt. He seemed to be a decent run blocker last year but that was from the RT spot. He seems a bit undersized for a Guard and I'm guessing is not getting much push. Hopefully Wohlabaugh is healthy again and can step up. He was supposed to be our starting RT last year until he immediately got injured.

Its been noted that Reed was playing a bit banged up but not sure when in the game that happened. Him being in a boot right after the game isn't good news. Hopefully its just a mild sprain and he is better in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

I'd love to say we just need to make some personnel changes but not sure if we have the talent to fix the OL, particularly at OT. Seems we have a lot of mediocre talent pieces on the OL but not much good talent. With the new pieces I was hopeful our OT's were better at pass blocking this year but was still fearful it was just being hidden a bit these first two games as we played OU and GT, teams that have no pass rush ability. And OL play also looked bad in the spring game. Unfortunately it appears we still struggle against the pass. And our run blocking appears to have gotten a bit worse so far I'd say. Staff better figure something out.
You can scheme against a speed rush too. Its not all about the blocking.

I recall Purdue fans saying good luck with your new O line coach when we hired him. They were not a fan of his when he was there.

Yup, said line player development stalled under him...

Every single time fans from other schools have warned us about a coach it has proven accurate. Unfortunately, through 3 games, it appears that’s accurate again. He was the one hire I was nervous about
Just like Cuse fans warning Arizona fans that they made a horrible OC hire and will ruin that dynamic offense that had them preseason #10. Fans get a lot of crap from HC’s and most the time for good reason. But with things like this they are almost 100% spot on. I don’t recall any times when opposing fans were wrong when they took the time to come over and say this guy sucks .

With two games of tape Stanford knew what Syracuse was going to do based on personnel groupings. Mang = run play. Villari doesn’t have to be covered at this point.
Way too simple. I thought one of the advantages of pro style was running multiple plays out of the same sets. Second half looked better. So that’s a positive.

Every single time fans from other schools have warned us about a coach it has proven accurate. Unfortunately, through 3 games, it appears that’s accurate again. He was the one hire I was nervous about

It’s not that hard when most of these guys are all retreads. Journeymen.

With two games of tape Stanford knew what Syracuse was going to do based on personnel groupings. Mang = run play. Villari doesn’t have to be covered at this point.
Way too simple. I thought one of the advantages of pro style was running multiple plays out of the same sets. Second half looked better. So that’s a positive.
I think we need to use Villari more on shorter passes and let him do his thing breaking tackles

Yes, people raised questions about the oline after the first two games. But people are told not to be Debby downers when they point out weaknesses after wins.
Ok. That's fine. Was not recalling anything major from GT game. As I mentioned, I was not saying oline and coach may not be an issue, especially from last game. Obviously the lack of a running game against Stanford was not good. Let's see how things gel or don't gel. To early to say unequivocally anything one way or another.

Mang and Villari are both terrible. Net negative when they're out there. It's a major issue.

Can't believe people here thought Villari had a shot at playing on Sundays.
Against Stanford defenders ran bye both of them like they weren’t even there. I would like to see Tremble and Clement at least get some snaps. They have to be better than Mang and Villari.

First of all, he didn’t “visit” a tailgate

Second, he was our starting LT last season and half the season before that. So it’s logical that with Washington getting completely dominated, that people want to see Cruz get some run to see if he’s any better.

Also, Enrique came in as our highest ranked OL recruit ever IIRC.

It’s also important to remember that in the Ohio game, big spoon was the highest graded OL player. Who was the next best in that game??? Enrique Cruz
4 star recruit out of Chicago. I have had discussions with several people inside and outside the program that have raved about his athleticism, feet, agility and work ethic. According to his bio (for what it’s worth):

Redshirt Sophomore Year (2023): Started every game at left tackle ... Played 803 snaps on the season, not allowing a single sack and was responsible for just three hits on the quarterback ... Helped pave the way for LeQuint Allen to reach the 1,000 yard threshold, marking the third-straight season Syracuse had a back cross the threshold ... When Syracuse turned to a run-focused attack late in the season, he helped pave the way for an offense that finished with over 172 yards per game on the ground

Think he’s more than “a board favorite because he visited a tailgate.”

bnoro , you’re better than that!

It's called self scout. Football 101

4 star recruit out of Chicago. I have had discussions with several people inside and outside the program that have raved about his athleticism, feet, agility and work ethic. According to his bio (for what it’s worth):

Redshirt Sophomore Year (2023): Started every game at left tackle ... Played 803 snaps on the season, not allowing a single sack and was responsible for just three hits on the quarterback ... Helped pave the way for LeQuint Allen to reach the 1,000 yard threshold, marking the third-straight season Syracuse had a back cross the threshold ... When Syracuse turned to a run-focused attack late in the season, he helped pave the way for an offense that finished with over 172 yards per game on the ground

Think he’s more than “a board favorite because he visited a tailgate.”

bnoro , you’re better than that!
Okay, then how did he lose his job to an FCS transfer?

You have two starting level guys, a UGA transfer, and a much bigger inside guy In Moeolo on the bench. Get it sorted. This team gets average OL play they will be fine.
Why do fans on this site think they know more than the coaches? The coaches see these kids in practice and this is what they do for a living. I was surprised about some of the OL starters...but I TRUST THE COACHES KNOW MORE THAN I DO...

Bad coaching decision?
Seriously, how delusional are you to think that you know offensive line play better than a guy who has coached the position for 20+ years or an offensive coordinator who has been involved in the run game for most of his 27 year coaching career?

I looked up the VTech and Florida State games from last year. Cruz wasn't awful in either game, but got beat consistently, didn't hold his man in place, and was late reacting to the snap multiple times. Shrader's feet and consistent efforts to roll him to the right are the only reason Cruz "didn't give up a sack."

Happy to post specific clips if you care to see them.

Okay, then how did he lose his job to an FCS transfer?
Because in the coach’s opinion the FCS transfer was a better option to give us a shot to win?

What exactly is your issue here?

Because in the coach’s opinion the FCS transfer was a better option to give us a shot to win?

What exactly is your issue here?
4 star recruit out of Chicago. I have had discussions with several people inside and outside the program that have raved about his athleticism, feet, agility and work ethic.

He's been average at best, but "We're not biased because of the tailgate! He's really good!" When has he done ANYTHING to justify that?

4 star recruit out of Chicago. I have had discussions with several people inside and outside the program that have raved about his athleticism, feet, agility and work ethic.

He's been average at best, but "We're not biased because of the tailgate! He's really good!" When has he done ANYTHING to justify that?
Take the snarkiness somewhere else. Both tackles were constantly beaten Friday night. For Washington it was his second below average game in three starts. For Spoon, coaches replaced him with Cruz for a time in the third quarter. We either look at other options or hope the starters play better. I’m not a hope guy.
Cruz may not be the answer, may not even be an improvement, but if we are not exploring all our options to improve the line play, not only pass protection, but generating a semblance of a running game, there is some serious coaching malfeasance in play.

Personally I see Spoon’s strengths better suited to guard. Slot him inside and try the next best option at T. Not sure what to do with Washington. I am not sure he fits at guard and since coming back from the injury last year he has not performed at tackle.

Besides he never came to a tailgate so no reason to support him.

Take the snarkiness somewhere else. Both tackles were constantly beaten Friday night. For Washington it was his second below average game in three starts. For Spoon, coaches replaced him with Cruz for a time in the third quarter. We either look at other options or hope the starters play better. I’m not a hope guy.
Cruz may not be the answer, may not even be an improvement, but if we are not exploring all our options to improve the line play, not only pass protection, but generating a semblance of a running game, there is some serious coaching malfeasance in play.

Personally I see Spoon’s strengths better suited to guard. Slot him inside and try the next best option at T. Not sure what to do with Washington. I am not sure he fits at guard and since coming back from the injury last year he has not performed at tackle.

Besides he never came to a tailgate so no reason to support him.
And of course it matters not one iota what we argue about here bc the coaches are not using tail gates, social media, or any other exogenous factors, to evaluate the OL. The film speaks for itself and I expect changes just as we’ve seen with the defensive back end.

Last edited:
How is a legit argument "snark?" You talked about how you were told how special he was, and I asked where we've seen that in game situations.
“ "We're not biased because of the tailgate! He's really good!" ”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom