Personnel changes on the OL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Personnel changes on the OL

Stanford used this a ton. Nfl runs over a lot too.
No I mean just moving guys around the line without experience. It takes an incredible lineman to do it on the fly.

You can’t minimize how hard it is playing the line. Big difference between guard and tackle.

No I mean just moving guys around the line without experience. It takes an incredible lineman to do it on the fly.

You can’t minimize how hard it is playing the line. Big difference between guard and tackle.
I do get that as i always thought if ur a tackle u stay there but they said they were crosstraining everyone. As bad as both tackles played i woulda went to miller and cruz

We got two OG transfers this past offseason. I wonder if they will factor in at all as the season progresses.

The more important thing would be to go back to the GT game and see how Washington performed in that game under similar circumstances.

And if there weren't similar circumstances - then that begs the question why...was GT just not edge rushing, do they have weak edge rushers, were we giving more help, was McCord releasing the ball quicker, were receivers getting open quicker, etc?

That's the starting point for this type of analysis. We all know he had a rough game against Stanford. But is that an anomaly or is that the rule?

GT has issues with personnel and getting pressure. They spoke about it on GT podcasts after we beat them. They discussed, a lot like we are now, about the D calls vs the personnel available.

Can’t speak to Washington specifically that game, but GT seems to have issues getting pressure. At least that was what was discussed that I listened to.

Did people raise concerns about our oline coach in games 1 and 2? I don't recall it. Our entire offense had a tough day including the oline. Not saying the oline and coach may not be issues but I am pretty sure people were overall happy after GT.
We all need to see a larger sample size.

Not sure of Bradford's PFF, but if he's not getting it done and Savion's footwork is an issue, we could move Savion inside (to R guard) and put ECJ or Wohl at RT (or use the depth pieces, Miller, Hornsby, Mack, etc).

This has been a constant issue for Washington.

GT started to speed rush him in 2nd half

His feet are simply too slow for him to catch any DE with speed, they just blow by him.

If you watch his tape at Colorado it’s much of the same thing.

I’m afraid we won’t make adjustments because this was “the guy” that out OL coach really wanted to help improve the OL.

Every single time fans from other schools have warned us about a coach it has proven accurate. Unfortunately, through 3 games, it appears that’s accurate again. He was the one hire I was nervous about
Yeah this is my concern - if this is a chronic thing with him then we'll need to figure out a better way to address it or figure out another solution.

Unfortunately Holy Cross isn't going to be a great barometer for it.

Not sure of Bradford's PFF, but if he's not getting it done and Savion's footwork is an issue, we could move Savion inside (to R guard) and put ECJ or Wohl at RT (or use the depth pieces, Miller, Hornsby, Mack, etc).
I mentioned in another thread that both Bradford and Petry are a little undersized for P4 guards. we are not getting any push from them. If Wohlobaugh is healthy, he needs to play, based on what I saw in his limited time last year. Although Washington did not look as bad in the first two games, you can’t hide the fact that the speed rush destroyed him. I don’t think that’s correctable, and that’s on tape for everybody who plays us.

Did people raise concerns about our oline coach in games 1 and 2? I don't recall it. Our entire offense had a tough day including the oline. Not saying the oline and coach may not be issues but I am pretty sure people were overall happy after GT.
Yes, people raised questions about the oline after the first two games. But people are told not to be Debby downers when they point out weaknesses after wins.

This has been a constant issue for Washington.

GT started to speed rush him in 2nd half

His feet are simply too slow for him to catch any DE with speed, they just blow by him.

If you watch his tape at Colorado it’s much of the same thing.

I’m afraid we won’t make adjustments because this was “the guy” that out OL coach really wanted to help improve the OL.

Every single time fans from other schools have warned us about a coach it has proven accurate. Unfortunately, through 3 games, it appears that’s accurate again. He was the one hire I was nervous about
I thought the reason he was brought in along with other changes to the oline was to make us bigger so we could road grade for the running game. That clearly isn't happening, so if better pass blockers are available, we need them in the game.

Yes, people raised questions about the oline after the first two games. But people are told not to be Debby downers when they point out weaknesses after wins.
When your LT wins ACC offensive lineman of the week, that’s the definition of a Debbie downer. But don’t break your hand patting yourself on the back.

When your LT wins ACC offensive lineman of the week, that’s the definition of a Debbie downer. But don’t break your hand patting yourself on the back.
One guy does not make a whole line. People saw the lack of push in the running game and thought McCord was under more pressure than he should've been against Ohio. There were a few people that mentioned it. Why do some people have such a problem with objective observation?

There were definite concerns after Ohio while GT seemed to be a nice improvement. Stanford was a horrible regression.

There were definite concerns after Ohio while GT seemed to be a nice improvement. Stanford was a horrible regression.
Man you’re not kidding. Just rewatched the game and they were abysmal, all game long. 77 more than 57. As JR noted 77 is too slow of foot to take on speed rushers who are blowing right by him and too weak to stave off bull rushers who blow right through him/blow him up.

57 is slow of foot too. Cruz should be playing at least equal time so we can get real time games assessments on who is better. My $ is on Cruz being the better option.

As I said earlier, if that doesn’t happen after the film watching, it’s a red flag coaching concern. After listening to Fran’s Press conference today I think it happens.

But even worse is 0 and 89. Complete and utter liabilities in almost every way in that game.

Last edited:
Man you’re not kidding. Just rewatched the game and they were abysmal, all game long. 77 more than 57. As JR noted 77 is too slow of foot to take on speed rushers and too weak to stave off bull rushers who blow right through him/blow him up.

57 is slow of foot too. Cruz should be playing at least equal time so we can get real time games assessments on who is better. My $ is on Cruz being the better option.

As I said earlier, if that doesn’t happen after the film watching, it’s a red flag coaching concern. After listening to Fran’s Press conference today I think it happens.

But even worse is 0 and 89. Complete and utter liabilities in every way in that game.
Per the "A" in DART, need to see some serious OL change evaluations vs. HC this weekend

Board favorite because he visited a tailgate. Same drill as when we get a parent on the board.

First of all, he didn’t “visit” a tailgate

Second, he was our starting LT last season and half the season before that. So it’s logical that with Washington getting completely dominated, that people want to see Cruz get some run to see if he’s any better.

Also, Enrique came in as our highest ranked OL recruit ever IIRC.

It’s also important to remember that in the Ohio game, big spoon was the highest graded OL player. Who was the next best in that game??? Enrique Cruz

First of all, he didn’t “visit” a tailgate

Second, he was our starting LT last season and half the season before that. So it’s logical that with Washington getting completely dominated, that people want to see Cruz get some run to see if he’s any better.

Also, Enrique came in as our highest ranked OL recruit ever IIRC.

It’s also important to remember that in the Ohio game, big spoon was the highest graded OL player. Who was the next best in that game??? Enrique Cruz
He’s a fourth year player who didn’t lock down his starting job when he had an entire spring and summer to do so after a season of being pretty meh on a pretty meh offensive line.

Who cares about his recruit ranking?

There’s a talking point in CFB circles that you can’t fix an OL in one season, even in the transfer portal era.

In Syracuse’s case, the OL was much reviled last year, and this year, it’s three of the same players plus two transfers, one of whom hadn’t proved himself at the P4 level previously.

A good OL takes time, development, and reps to develop. All we can hope for is improvement as the season goes on.

The line in general really struggled to pass block and run block. GT stacked the box a bit and brought some blitzers but still.

Both Washington and Weatherspoon repeatedly got beat by edge rushers who set up out wide and were coming full speed directly at them. Both got beat to the outside as neither seemed to be quick enough to get enough depth on their kick outs. Unfortunately I think Enrique has a similar weakness in defending the pass rush on the outside as well. Not sure what we do there. Maybe Josh Miller just need a bit more time and is ready to step up to the plate?

Bradford obviously didn't have his best game. I know he got burned on a stunt and blocked nobody.
I don't remember any bad plays in particular from Petry. He played OT last year a lot but we obviously didn't see him play much in regards to a passing offense after Garret was hurt. He seemed to be a decent run blocker last year but that was from the RT spot. He seems a bit undersized for a Guard and I'm guessing is not getting much push. Hopefully Wohlabaugh is healthy again and can step up. He was supposed to be our starting RT last year until he immediately got injured.

Its been noted that Reed was playing a bit banged up but not sure when in the game that happened. Him being in a boot right after the game isn't good news. Hopefully its just a mild sprain and he is better in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

I'd love to say we just need to make some personnel changes but not sure if we have the talent to fix the OL, particularly at OT. Seems we have a lot of mediocre talent pieces on the OL but not much good talent. With the new pieces I was hopeful our OT's were better at pass blocking this year but was still fearful it was just being hidden a bit these first two games as we played OU and GT, teams that have no pass rush ability. And OL play also looked bad in the spring game. Unfortunately it appears we still struggle against the pass. And our run blocking appears to have gotten a bit worse so far I'd say. Staff better figure something out.

The good news is that with only marginal level o line play the pieces were still there to throw for 400. We had one big one called back and the pick 6 was a 20+ gain if the TE runs the route correctly. and that ignores all the other throws that were off but open.

Will it get worse as the season goes on or get better?

Man you’re not kidding. Just rewatched the game and they were abysmal, all game long. 77 more than 57. As JR noted 77 is too slow of foot to take on speed rushers who are blowing right by him and too weak to stave off bull rushers who blow right through him/blow him up.

But even worse is 0 and 89. Complete and utter liabilities in almost every way in that game.
Yeah if I see #0 whiff on a block again (he does everytime), I'm gonna shove a bottled water up my butt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom