Perspective | Syracusefan.com

Perspective

Gonzo

Walk On
Who wudda thunk that the team would beat both Louisville and Cincy AFTER losing Southerland and wind up ranked 3rd? And this was our toughest two game stretch of the season. Boy, this is as good as we could have possibly hoped for.

Without the Southerland, and even with him, we are a wierd team in that we dominate no one in Big East play (save Rutgers, chuckle chuckle) but we beat everyone. And although we are winning a lot of close ones, it isn't like we are playing like bad and just getting lucky.

SU's teams have often been more finesse teams, but in recent years are increasingly adding GRIT to the formula. The results have been obvious, more wins, higher rankings.

JB has perfected the art of recruiting long, athletic players. The last remaining piece of the puzzle involves more outside shooters who are also long and athletic.

So much for the theory of pre-determined PT for each player. JB went to a three guard rotation and Cooney saw amped up minutes WHEN the situation required.

JB is right that we need our centers to pick up their level of play but as it stands now, until we drain more three's, our big men are going to struggle for opportunities and defenses pack it in against us. Cooney is doing well but more outside buckets from him will be essential in the absence of Southerland. Triche is not going to be hot from beyond the arc every game. We have to be able to stretch defenses if we are going to really thrive.

Most years, SU teams hit a big wall mid-way through the Big East season. It looks as if we are going to have to really grit our way through this year to avoid it

We could really use a high scoring, big-ish margin of victory against Nova to get our offense clicking at a higher level again. Outbursts from Cooney, Grant and one of the big men would really go a long way

GRIT is definitely the formula for this team, because the talent is not quite there in the numbers we need. We all knew SU was one of the best teams in the country last year. They were from the get go. And although the talking heads may not remember (they only recall Kentucky), we were the #1 or #2 team in the country all season long last year. But this team has not quite gelled. We are never sure what we're going to get. We need Southerland back badly. I am glad Grant and Cooney have had their chances, but we need him. We need them all. Every blessed one of them. We need more than 3 we can count on.

In the meantime, grit rules the day and SU fans need stout hearts. What a ride we are on!

Who wudda thunk that the team would beat both Louisville and Cincy AFTER losing Southerland and wind up ranked 3rd? And this was our toughest two game stretch of the season. Boy, this is as good as we could have possibly hoped for.

Huge weekend for the Cuse but I'll tell you another potential tough weekend is going to be 2/23 vs Georgetown at home which will be a very emotional game and then go to Marquette and play them in Milwaukee on 2/25 on Big Monday. I think Marquette might be a very tough game for us having to go on the road after a big matchup with Georgetown. The nice thing about this past weekend, is that we won a real tough one on the road and then had the luxury of coming home to play Cincy.

Huge weekend for the Cuse but I'll tell you another potential tough weekend is going to be 2/23 vs Georgetown at home which will be a very emotional game and then go to Marquette and play them in Milwaukee on 2/25 on Big Monday. I think Marquette might be a very tough game for us having to go on the road after a big matchup with Georgetown. The nice thing about this past weekend, is that we won a real tough one on the road and then had the luxury of coming home to play Cincy.

Could very well be. If we thought the 1H and Cincinnati game in general was bad then this Georgetown game could be really rough. Another game in the 50s...sigh.

The JB presser post Cincy sums up the state of the team perfectly.
wow, great assessment of BT and his state of mind being the only thing in the way of greatness in that presser

wow, great assessment of BT and his state of mind being the only thing in the way of greatness in that presser

I think this was the best JB presser I've heard in a long time. In terms of his openness and honest evaluation of the team, that is. Some cool insight. Nothing we don't really know but still. The evaluation of some of these close wins especially.

The JB presser post Cincy sums up the state of the team perfectly.

It was a classic. Lets examine.

MCW is very good and very confident but still makes really bad plays at times.
Brandon is really good but needs to throw that mental switch and really believe it.
CJ and Grant don't work well together on offense because they play the same position.
Grant needs to get better on defense.
Cooney still isn't making shots as regularly as he should be.
Baye is our best defensive center.
Coleman is not good enough on defense to play a lot.
JB is really really pissed at Rak who is our best center when he wants to be.

Offensively we kind of stink without James.
Its great to win these games but we can still lose to anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom