Perversity of college basketball | Syracusefan.com

Perversity of college basketball

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
You root for a player like Grant to improve by developing a consistent J knowing that if he does he will move on to greener pastures.

Yessssss! What is up with that? Be careful what you pray for?

So now it's all "Dear lord, please don't let us win a National Championship because I don't want to lose Ennis?"

To paraphrase the King of Siam, it's a psychological insultment!

It's a no-win situation for the fans. I actually feel bad when a lower classman improves his game dramatically.

I hope all our players improve to the best of their abilities and if that somehow turns into winning a NC, I'll take that trade everyday. There's positives and negatives with everything in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

Haven't seen you around these parts for a few months! Since the first week of April perhaps.. :)

Just assume that all of them are leaving each year, and you won't be as disappointed. Until the NBA changes their philosophy and drafts on production over potential, you'll keep scratching your head as to why kids are leaving.

For example, both Marcus Smart and McGary more than likely cost themselves draft position by returning. The fear of this happening sometimes pushes guys into the draft too early.

You root for a player like Grant to improve by developing a consistent J knowing that if he does he will move on to greener pastures.

I don't know. For every Grant, there's a Rak or DC2 that you assume would be gone already. So, you take the good with the bad. It's why college sports is great.

You could make the same argument for Dion and despite losing him, we went to the F4.

Also, if said it before but I think normally to make a run or win it all, you need a few breaks. One of the most important is having someone that could bolt actually stay.

For this year, while CJ staying is huge, I still think we are not necessary the team to beat. Are we a S16 team that could then get into E8 or F4? Definitely.

However, a junior Grant and soph Roberson, with junior DC2, senior Christmas, soph Ennis are five guys that are the nucleus of a championship team, assuming just 2 or 3 others to step up and contribute. The nice thing about that group of other 2-3 players is composed of names like McCullough, BJ, G, Cooney, Kaleb J, etc. A junior Grant easily take us to the promised land again and I guarantee, JB let's him know that come March or April 2014.

The worst part of the sordid situation is the number of kids who leave early who could have made significant contributions to their college team / program and when they do enter the draft and are discarded within a year or two and never again even so much as sniff a chance at making it to the League. This is especially true with kids who would have benefited greatly by staying another year or two to work on the deficiencies in their game and/or learning how to play the game.

Token controversial ancillary point: Would Fab Melo not have benefited from another year at Syracuse? I realize that it's debatable whether or not he would have been able to stay eligible and/or whether some people here would have even wanted him. ;)

The worst part of the sordid situation is the number of kids who leave early who could have made significant contributions to their college team / program and when they do enter the draft and are discarded within a year or two and never again even so much as sniff a chance at making it to the League. This is especially true with kids who would have benefited greatly by staying another year or two to work on the deficiencies in their game and/or learning how to play the game.

Token controversial ancillary point: Would Fab Melo not have benefited from another year at Syracuse? I realize that it's debatable whether or not he would have been able to stay eligible and/or whether some people here would have even wanted him. ;)

Yep, that was a great post. I think of Donte. He would have surely been an AA, maybe not first team, but he would've been a focal point and put up Billy O-type stats as a soph. He had unfair expectations as a frosh and had to do much much more than most frosh and his "rep" took a hit. If he came back, SU fans would look at him much differently, he would've gone higher in the draft and become a better player. It's too bad short-term thinking won out (not judging him, maybe I'd have done the same thing in that situation).

Last edited:
The better and faster our guys develop, the more wins we get, the more wins we get the further we get into the tournament. When all of these things happen we get more top recruits. The more top recruits the longer we keep the success that we've been having longer. I'm all for our 5 starters blowing up this year, having all american seasons, winning the NC and all of them getting drafted. Then we do it all over again. Syracuse basketball has NEVER been in a better state of continued success than we are right now (past 4-5 years), if anybody wants argue this I'm up for the debate.

The better and faster our guys develop, the more wins we get, the more wins we get the further we get into the tournament. When all of these things happen we get more top recruits. The more top recruits the longer we keep the success that we've been having longer. I'm all for our 5 starters blowing up this year, having all american seasons, winning the NC and all of them getting drafted. Then we do it all over again. Syracuse basketball has NEVER been in a better state of continued success than we are right now (past 4-5 years), if anybody wants argue this I'm up for the debate.
I'd debate you if I could. But I can't. Too pumped for this team.
Booyakasha!

No debate on our success. The debate is a sentimental one. The joy of watching a raw freshman grow into a polished senior is wrenched away by the dollar signs that lure young men from our campus. I just don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling from that.

So, you like the Kentucky way.

Yep, those a great post. I think of Donte. He would have surely been an AA, maybe not first team, but he would've been a focal point and put up Billy O-type stats as a soph. He had unfair expectations as a frosh and had to do much much more than most frosh and his "rep" took a hit. If he came back, SU fans would look at him much differently, he would've gone higher in the draft and become a better player. It's too bad short-term thinking won out (not judging him, maybe I'd have done the same thing in that situation).

To me, that's the toughest case. If you are projected to be a lottery pick you should go. There's limited upside to staying and you could drop significantly (re: Jared Sullinger). If you are projected to be a second round pick you should stay. You can improve your status and there isn't much room for your stock to drop. But what about the guys that are projected to be late first-rounders? True you could move up, but you're turning down guareenteed money when you could drop as well. That's what Dante was facing. I agree he probably should have stayed, but I'm not sure I would of had that discipline if I had been in his place.

Agree its sad to see all that d league talent go by unknown.
They could just clear the d league all together and make those nba development teams 25 more nba teams but they never would because of money. Instead they don't get on tv. Going from college tv to none at all. Heck, it would bring more foreign players over here also.

Last edited:
Yep, those a great post. I think of Donte. He would have surely been an AA, maybe not first team, but he would've been a focal point and put up Billy O-type stats as a soph. He had unfair expectations as a frosh and had to do much much more than most frosh and his "rep" took a hit. If he came back, SU fans would look at him much differently, he would've gone higher in the draft and become a better player. It's too bad short-term thinking won out (not judging him, maybe I'd have done the same thing in that situation).
Yeah, I think you can look at how high Jonny Flynn went and use that as a barometer for how much higher Donte could have gone.

Donte was pegged as a late-lottery pick (as high as 14) by most heading into the draft. I'm sure he and his agent thought he would go top 20 at worst-he just took an unfortunate tumble on draft night.

So, you like the Kentucky way.

I like where we're at right now. We've lost quite a few guys the past few years that left early, and you know what, I am OK with that. While the guys are leaving, we're still seeing the 4 year guys develop and turning into polished players. The Southerlands, Fairs, Triches, Rautins, Jardines, Josephs, etc etc.

I want to put a player in the lottery every year! It is great for recruiting! All 5 star players want to make the NBA asap! But we need program guys too! I think we have the best of both worlds for every MCW and Dion there is a CJ and Scoop. I like our mix of 5 star and 4 star players. We get the great talents and the program guys who are very good players too. We need both to win!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

I want to put a player in the lottery every year! It is great for recruiting! All 5 star players want to make the NBA asap! But we need program guys too! I think we have the best of both worlds for every MCW and Dion there is a CJ and Scoop. I like our mix of 5 star and 4 star players. We get the great talents and the program guys who are very good players too. We need both to win!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
I like the mix we have too. The way PayPal is doing it, the KU fans never have a chance to get to know the players and become real fans of them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom