Pete Thamel On State of SU Football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel On State of SU Football

No. Not true. If you remember, Will said to never forget, guys he didn't like, put rumors on the internet dressed as facts.
Oh yeah, my bad.

Your theory about the origin of this article still doesn't make sense on multiple levels. First, it makes the SU athletic department look bad. Second, it makes the football coaching staff look bad. Third, the article doesn't help recruiting because of numbers one and two above.
If JW wants to address the issues with recruiting, he can do it more effectively by addressing it directly with Dino and not in a sneaky, roundabout way that makes SU look bad and doesn't engender support, but rather erodes it.
Now, if JW put out a statement today that counters the article by pointing out where Thamel is off or how SU has addressed/is addressing its weak spots, I might be inclined to believe your theory, but that would likely rub Thamel wrong.

I just have a feeling that article wasn’t written in a vacuum. We are kinda irrelevant. This isn’t something Pete writes unless he spoke to someone in the know. It doesn’t paint us very negative.
Just lays out the facts to calm down the fan base in a way.

I just have a feeling that article wasn’t written in a vacuum. We are kinda irrelevant. This isn’t something Pete writes unless he spoke to someone in the know. It doesn’t paint us very negative.
Just lays out the facts to calm down the fan base in a way.

Please. We just lost to Liberty and he wanted to pile on. He could have written it any other time.

Please. We just lost to Liberty and he wanted to pile on. He could have written it any other time.
Thamel wanted to pile on.
He ripped our entire infrastructure and got plenty of wrong.
Which means he didn’t bother to research it completely.
Wildhack has increased fundraising.

While we can’t afford 17 million dollar buyout I doubt more than 5 Schools could. He wanted to stick a knife.

I used to like Pete Thamel's stuff in the Daily Orange when we were both students at the same time. Do they even have a print version of the DO anymore? I used to read it at Shaw dining on the regular. The big lectures were times to do the crossword puzzles and read the comics. I guess the kids today are on snapface and other social media. Also they pay twice as much for school so they likely feel much more guilty than I did about wasting time in class. If my parents knew that the lectures were spent mostly looking at a student newspaper and staring at the girls from alpha phi they might have been disappointed in the investment.
Alpha phi? Was AZD in my time

Thamel wanted to pile on.
He ripped our entire infrastructure and got plenty of wrong.
Which means he didn’t bother to research it completely.
Wildhack has increased fundraising.

While we can’t afford 17 million dollar buyout I doubt more than 5 Schools could. He wanted to stick a knife.
I believe most of the SEC schools sit on a large reserve fund that would cover the buyout, but yes $17M is a lot

We beat Georgia Tech on the day we unveiled our stadium improvements. And yeah, it wasn't the story of the day or anything, but some of the national guys at least mentioned it. I can't recall Pete tweeting anything.

The moment we lose to Liberty though...

As I've often said, with alums like him, who needs enemies.

I do not think we can hire someone better I totally give Dino another year to turn it around.

Boost the OL and get some WRs who don't drop everything and I think we'll be a 7-8 win team. (Thats assuming we play 12 games and see the expected 4 OOC opponents.)

Orange in a squeeze

Syracuse’s Dino Babers made his name as a head coach for being a nemesis to Clemson at a time when few in the ACC could muster much resistance.

In 2017, Syracuse stunned No. 2 Clemson in the Carrier Dome on a Friday night, Clemson’s last ACC loss. In 2018, Syracuse nearly pulled an upset at No. 3 Clemson, as Tigers backup Chase Brice needed a 94-yard scoring drive to win the game in the final minute. That Syracuse team went on to win 10 games, the lone winning season in Babers’ five years in Syracuse.

This week, Syracuse heads to Clemson with its program in the fetal position. Beset by opt-outs and injuries and fresh off a blowout home loss to Liberty, Syracuse is bracing for an ugly Saturday on the road against the No. 1 team in the country next week.

Syracuse’s season has been a perfect storm of misery. The Orange are down to seven scholarship offensive linemen, including a converted fullback, and is playing its fifth-string tailback and backup quarterback. The Orange’s best defensive player, Andre Cisco, got injured in warmups before the Georgia Tech game and has opted out for the season.

Don’t expect Babers’ job to be in jeopardy. He has four full years remaining on his contract this year, and the most conservative estimates of his buyout are that he’d be owed at least $17 million if he was fired after this season. That number would scare a well-heeled SEC athletic department, and Syracuse is decidedly not one of those.

What can Syracuse do? Support Babers’ weaknesses. One of the issues at Syracuse is that athletic director John Wildhack has no experience overseeing a major college football program, so there’s no leadership with an idea about structure, staffing and how to out-maneuver conference peers in more ideal recruiting bases.

Recruiting has never been the heartbeat of Babers’ coaching arsenal. While he has the charisma and charm to connect, coaches and analysts in the Northeast would not rate Babers’ recruiting metabolism with coaches like BC’s Jeff Hafley, Rutgers’ Greg Schiano or Penn State’s James Franklin.

Syracuse’s recruiting staff is one of the least sophisticated in the ACC, as Babers’ longtime assistant Roy Wittke is the new director of player personnel. Places like BC, Wake Forest and Rutgers – the schools Syracuse needs to beat — have invested in sophisticated operations. The Orange are lagging behind.

The most glaring evidence of the recruiting deficiencies is the lack of talent in Syracuse’s quarterback room, as Babers has yet to recruit and develop a proven ACC-level starter, and the lack of depth in that room has always been glaringly thin. He inherited Eric Dungey, and injured redshirt junior quarterback Tommy DeVito has yet to live up to his billing.

Babers is speeding toward his fourth losing seasons in five years. There’s a clear talent deficiency that’s glaring. Syracuse and Babers are contractually in lockstep for a while. To compete in the ACC, they need to start recruiting like an ACC school.
I agree 100% about the recruiting, and have said so almost every time I am on this forumn. The problem is we are still left with three huge problems.
1. A Head coach that cant recruit
2. The least talented roster in the ACC
3. 2 offensive lineman that are marginally considered ACC type starters

If 2021 isn't HCDB best class ever or we dont get a few 4 or 5 star trench guys that day 1 are a upgrade, 2021 and 2022 will be the same.

We beat Georgia Tech on the day we unveiled our stadium improvements. And yeah, it wasn't the story of the day or anything, but some of the national guys at least mentioned it. I can't recall Pete tweeting anything.

The moment we lose to Liberty though...

As I've often said, with alums like him, who needs enemies.

He was too busy live tweeting the BC game which he legit does each week. Kinda seems weird for a national guy to be live tweeting about a small program that no one in their own city cares about.

I do not think we can hire someone better I totally give Dino another year to turn it around.

Boost the OL and get some WRs who don't drop everything and I think we'll be a 7-8 win team. (Thats assuming we play 12 games and see the expected 4 OOC opponents.)
7-8??????????????????

for all the Doom and Gloom fix 2 pieces of the Oline and we are 3-2 right now.. Can that be done next yr with what we have coming back ,, pretty sure it can.
You mean with the guys we had on the line last year, or the recruits from the past two cycles. Bleich will be a ACC level starter and Bergeron will be improved but lets be honest. The rest of those guys are just the rest of those guys at this point

There are 130 FBS teams. If we are the 65th best team next year we legit could get to 7-8 wins given how weak our schedule is. Is being the exact middle of the pack nationally asking that much? BTW even with the disaster that was last year we were the 63rd best FBS team according to Sagarin.
I would be on cloud 9 if we won 7 games next year... or even 3 this year based on what we have. Heres to hoping for 7 wins

You mean with the guys we had on the line last year, or the recruits from the past two cycles. Bleich will be a ACC level starter and Bergeron will be improved but lets be honest. The rest of those guys are just the rest of those guys at this point
I’ve heard Anthony Red will be very good. Dakota Davis is solid when healthy too.

I’ve heard Anthony Red will be very good. Dakota Davis is solid when healthy too.
I dont believe it anymore. I have heard every player HCDB recruited would be good or "is solid, a stud" etc. But I watch the games and we give up more qb hits than any other team in the country AND opposing offenses have more career games vs us than anybody else.

I can't go by the hopes and prayers and "when healthy" anymore.

I don’t get the bashing of the O line. It’s really hard to make a fair evaluation with everything else on fire. Point to consider, how many O lineman from the 10-3 team even sniffed a pro team?

how much of it is the system being exposed as too vanilla? Is it player development? Play calling incompetence? Lack of a running threat from the QB? Recruiting misses? Your guess is as good as anybody’s... but I’ll say that 2018 shows that we may just be 4-5 solid playmakers away from a winning season. The rest is luck -both on and off the field.

I don’t get the bashing of the O line. It’s really hard to make a fair evaluation with everything else on fire. Point to consider, how many O lineman from the 10-3 team even sniffed a pro team?

how much of it is the system being exposed as too vanilla? Is it player development? Play calling incompetence? Lack of a running threat from the QB? Recruiting misses? Your guess is as good as anybody’s... but I’ll say that 2018 shows that we may just be 4-5 solid playmakers away from a winning season. The rest is luck -both on and off the field.
Well I hope we get those 4-5 solid playmakers because that would make us Clemson or Alabama. Think about it

How much could these guys possibly make?

I feel like we’ve dramatically underachieved in recruiting for years and years. I know we aren’t Alabama, so I get not benchmarking against Elito programs. But losing in the ranking to Pitt, WVU, BC, and Rutgers every year is an issue. I obviously lack visibility to speak intelligently about what’s happening, but it’s an anon Internet forum, so being credentialed is a mere “nice to have” (lol) Still, I can’t help but to wonder if we’re being penny wise and pound foolish.
Rutgers director of recruiting and similar titles make about $100k. Rutgers recruiting support staff budget is almost 2 million annually