Pete Thamel: Q&A with Syracuse coach Scott Shafer | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel: Q&A with Syracuse coach Scott Shafer

Only time we got it wrong in 30 years was GROB, IMO.

Using baseball analogies here. Coach Mac eventually became a home-run type guy. Coach P was a solid double - knew what you were going to get but always had a ceiling (whether self induced or held back by admin/resources, whatever). GRob was an unmitigated strikeout. Marrone was great at rebuilding but his ceiling was about a double too, overall. For serving his purpose, he was a triple arguably.

I think Shafer can be a home-run, Coach Mac-type guy. I really do.

Nice. It's the lead story in si.com's college football page.

Using baseball analogies here. Coach Mac eventually became a home-run type guy. Coach P was a solid double - knew what you were going to get but always had a ceiling (whether self induced or held back by admin/resources, whatever). GRob was an unmitigated strikeout. Marrone was great at rebuilding but his ceiling was about a double too, overall. For serving his purpose, he was a triple arguably.

I think Shafer can be a home-run, Coach Mac-type guy. I really do.

I think P's ceiling was what, No. 4 or 5 in the country after beating Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl?

OrangePA said:
I think P's ceiling was what, No. 4 or 5 in the country after beating Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl?

Yep, finished #6 that year I believe. It's never good for a coach's relationship with the fanbase when his best year is among hits first couple at a program. Sets up high expectations that might not always be met again. What can you do?

Great Q&A with Shafer. Impossible not to like the guy a ton. Easy to root for him.

Great interview. Thamel is such a good reporter/writer. They hated to lose him at the NY Times.

I think the body of work was a double. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

He had two really good years early on - with Mac's guys, I might add.

But he had some duds and some years where his teams absolutely underachieved.

All in all, a solid career. But no more than a double, IMO.

That was a great read. The thing I like about HCSS is he is not afraid to take chances and not afraid to say he made a mistake. He learns from those and gets better. It's all about the kids and helping them learn, grow and get better. You can see he wants to win but he wants to do it the right way. He knows a little football too which helps.

Yep, finished #6 that year I believe. It's never good for a coach's relationship with the fanbase when his best year is among hits first couple at a program. Sets up high expectations that might not always be met again. What can you do?

Great Q&A with Shafer. Impossible not to like the guy a ton. Easy to root for him.

I guess all you can do is follow it up with another Fiesta Bowl, Gator Bowl, Orange Bowl, Liberty Bowl, etc.

wordpress-awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg

I would argue that Schwartzwalder and Maloney were both solid hires too.

I think the body of work was a double. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

He had two really good years early on - with Mac's guys, I might add.

But he had some duds and some years where his teams absolutely underachieved.

All in all, a solid career. But no more than a double, IMO.

I love the "with Mac's guys" stuff.

Forgetting of course that DeLeone came in 1985 - and the team finally made it to a bowl game - and P came in 1987 and the team went undefeataed.

Not to start the debate - actually you started it! - but over 100 wins and I think 9 bowl games in 14 years as HC - not counting his work as an assistant coach with I think three more bowls - given the inherent deficiencies of the program and athletic department at the time - is probably more than a double.

I would argue that Schwartzwalder and Maloney were both solid hires too.

Was Maloney a solid hire?

It's really an interesting question.

He worked his butt off and hired some great assistants.

And he pushed for Coyne Field and the Dome.

His players loved him.

But he eschewed the fans and failed to generate any public capital.

Interesting question to debate.

I love the "with Mac's guys" stuff.

Forgetting of course that DeLeone came in 1985 - and the team finally made it to a bowl game - and P came in 1987 and the team went undefeataed.

Not to start the debate - actually you started it! - but over 100 wins and I think 9 bowl games in 14 years as HC - not counting his work as an assistant coach with I think three more bowls - is - given the inherent deficiencies of the program and athletic department at the time - was probably more than a double.

IMO means "in my opinion".

Didn't mean to start the debate again. Absolutely didn't do it intentionally, but should have known it would likely be taken there.

Was Maloney a solid hire?

It's really an interesting question.

He worked his butt off and hired some great assistants.

And he pushed for Coyne Field and the Dome.

His players loved him.

But he eschewed the fans and failed to generate any public capital.

Interesting question to debate.
Brought in some great players...got to and won a bowl game. Brought SU back from the brink, without the benefit of a Dome. High scoring offense.

IMO means "in my opinion".

Didn't mean to start the debate again. Absolutely didn't do it intentionally, but should have known it would likely be taken there.

Hey nothing wrong with your opinion.

It makes the board interesting to read.

Only time we got it wrong in 30 years was GROB, IMO.

A new AD who knew virtually nothing about the program and a new Chancellor who was just getting her feet wet.

Not a surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom