Pete Thamel: Q&A with Syracuse coach Scott Shafer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel: Q&A with Syracuse coach Scott Shafer

it's really a shame Marrone wasn't pronounced with a long E at the end to carry on the bologna tradition

That avatar of yours says it all.;) C'mon... so, OK-- he left his "dream job'' ..hope you can give him a little credit for cleaning up the mess that he inherited.

HERE WE GO!!!!

Sorry IB, but it really bothers me when the revisionist view of the Coach P years becomes the paradigm.

And, as I have said many times, I will respond to statements that I believe are not accurate or fair.

The guy had a great run and we had a lot of fun going to big time bowl games and competing with the best programs.

And it has become more and more clear over the years that he did all that with significant financial and facility disadvantages.

Frankly, there should be a statue, a formal dinner/weekend of recoginition, a Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame event and whatever for P recognizing all he did for the SU Football Program.

To paraphrase Hyman Roth "there is not even a plaque" for a great coach and a great man.

I wasn't a fan of Maloney either.He didn't want to know crap about SU history, he was going to make his own history. Nuff said.

I liked him and appreciate what he did for the Program.

But, I do agree that he seemed to snub his nose at the Syracuse Football Tradition.

Sorry IB, but it really bothers me when the revisionist view of the Coach P years becomes the paradigm.

And, as I have said many times, I will respond to statements that I believe are not accurate or fair.

The guy had a great run and we had a lot of fun going to big time bowl games and competing with the best programs.

And it has become more and more clear over the years that he did all that with significant financial and facility disadvantages.

Frankly, there should be a statue, a formal dinner/weekend of recoginition, a Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame event and whatever for P recognizing all he did for the SU Football Program.

To paraphrase Hyman Roth "there is not even a plaque" for a great coach and a great man.

Hyperbole at its finest. Well done.

Shame that it takes SI and Inside Lacrosse to provide in depth stories on football and lax.
A lot of Shaf's coaching history (father, Novak, living on the reservation, etcetera.) was covered in articles between the time he was hired and the start of last season. These stories were either done by the local paper and/or the D.O. Thamel brought it to a bigger platform and updated the story.

A lot of Shaf's coaching history (father, Novak, living on the reservation, etcetera.) was covered in articles between the time he was hired and the start of last season. These stories were either done by the local paper and/or the D.O. Thamel brought it to a bigger platform and updated the story.

Exactly. There was nothing in there that we haven't already heard. Good to see the increased exposure though, and him not backing down on the #Softnosed tweet

Using baseball analogies here. Coach Mac eventually became a home-run type guy. Coach P was a solid double - knew what you were going to get but always had a ceiling (whether self induced or held back by admin/resources, whatever). GRob was an unmitigated strikeout. Marrone was great at rebuilding but his ceiling was about a double too, overall. For serving his purpose, he was a triple arguably.

I think Shafer can be a home-run, Coach Mac-type guy. I really do.
I like your reply, but I go with Ben bring the program back, and smart enough to stay here, Mac should never have gone to the pro's. Mac was a college coach all the way.

You knew Pasqualoni wasn't cut out long term when not only could he not get the 1998 team to a MNC place, but he couldn't even win his consolation BCS bowl against a, for that year, weak Florida team.

The 1998 team was a huge indictment against him.

You knew Pasqualoni wasn't cut out long term when not only could he not get the 1998 team to a MNC place, but he couldn't even win his consolation BCS bowl against a, for that year, weak Florida team.

The 1998 team was a huge indictment against him.

That might be the single stupidest post in the history of this board, and that's saying something.

That weak Florida team was ranked 5th with two losses, one to Tennessee the other to FSU, the two teams that played in the national championship game that year.

Yeah weak team.

That might be the single stupidest post in the history of this board, and that's saying something.

That weak Florida team was ranked 5th with two losses, one to Tennessee the other to FSU, the two teams that played in the national championship game that year.

Yeah weak team.

Compared to other Florida teams of the decade? It was weaker.

Compared to other Florida teams of the decade? It was weaker.

Ridiculous. Couldn't even win against the number 5 team in the country, in Florida, who's only loses were against the two teams in the championship game.

What an indictment.

Ridiculous. Couldn't even win against the number 5 team in the country, in Florida, who's only loses were against the two teams in the championship game.

What an indictment.
i wish their offensive line hadn't gotten so annihilated that day but their defensive line had a rotation of 8 pissed off aaron donalds

their defense was great, even against FSU and Tenn they were good. offense failed them those games.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida/1998-schedule.html

Wouldn't be an off season if we didn't re-litigate the coach P era.

He was average. Great in the beginning, so-so in the middle, and on his way down the last 3 seasons. His w-l record pretty much spells it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom