Peter Carey scoring as much as the starting forwards | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Peter Carey scoring as much as the starting forwards

Well to be fair for his career Embid is more like 33% and was 30% the two years before this. I totally get your point but we aren't getting guys like Filipowski, let alone Wemby or Embid. Carey, Maliq and any big in our program needs a go to move at the rim. It's criminal that they don't.
Maliq had a beautiful drive last game I believe. I’ve got no problem with him not being able to post up a real center. He’s a skinny 4, playing out of position. Carey is the same. Hima isn’t a basketball player, just a kid who grew. I’ll trust Red to find real centers in the future, once we graduate the guys who could man the middle and contest three pointers from the corners.

Last edited:
I'm getting lost on the thread - is the belief that teams don't need a low post game? Someone better tell the Nuggets and Sixers they are wasting their time. Any team, any era - every post player should have a couple of back to the basket go to moves.
Embiid shoots nearly 37% from three. Wemby can dribble like a guard. Think they picked up those skills by working on their drop step? Low post games are great, and I love to see skilled guys in that area, but today’s game requires a big man to be a MUCH more complete player. That’s my point.

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I don’t think you’ll ever see the “traditional” five man at SU. Red wants his bigs to be able to defend on the perimeter and shoot. Look at the big forwards he’s recruiting. They all have those skills. Red is not recruiting any “stay on the block” and post up kind of players. That is not the modern game.

Embiid shoots nearly 37% from three. Wemby can dribble like a guard. Think they picked up those skills by working on their drop step? Low post games are great, and I love to see skilled guys in that area, but today’s game requires a big man to be a MUCH more complete player. That’s my point.
Actually, today's game requires NBA superstars to be much more than that. Lots of good college teams have big men with more traditional skillsets. If you can have a Wemby, it's great. If you can't, guys that can work around the basket have a place.

I don’t think you’ll ever see the “traditional” five man at SU. Red wants his bigs to be able to defend on the perimeter and shoot. Look at the big forwards he’s recruiting. They all have those skills. Red is not recruiting any “stay on the block” and post up kind of players. That is not the modern game.
Guys with post moves don't have to have cement feet. Hakim Warrick had a great post game and he was not huge or slow.

Was it you who threw out that name, just so you could share that nugget?
I genuinely don't think so, but if I did that is absolutely something I would do, and is on brand, and, honestly, well played by me.

Guys with post moves don't have to have cement feet. Hakim Warrick had a great post game and he was not huge or slow.
And he was a 4

DC had a great low post game could handle ,and shoot.

It’s obvious this team should just recruit the next Derrick Coleman. It’s weird that they don’t.
There isn't one out there, they don't play that way anymore. It's all run and dunk, or shoot the three.

DC had a great low post game could handle ,and shoot.
Absolutely. In these discussions I've intentionally avoided using elite guys as examples since those are unrealistic expectations for us right now, especially if we hope to get help from the portal or hope an existing player can develop skills we haven't seen yet. It goes without saying a DC, Owen's, or Melo would transform this team. Even a Wallace would have an impact (freshman Wallace significant, senior enormous).

Absolutely. In these discussions I've intentionally avoided using elite guys as examples since those are unrealistic expectations for us right now, especially if we hope to get help from the portal or hope an existing player can develop skills we haven't seen yet. It goes without saying a DC, Owen's, or Melo would transform this team. Even a Wallace would have an impact (freshman Wallace significant, senior enormous).

Not meant as a gratuitous shot or anything, but I submit that the one player that's had the biggest impact on the program over the last 3 years, is none other than Benny Williams.
Imagine if Benny was the reliable 12 & 8 forward we all had hoped he'd be? His lack of consistency & development has really left a hole in our roster.

Bring in a proper big man coach (must be an actual big man) and presto, we're off to the races (and the Top 10) again! Carey will make everyone forget Wilt, I just feel it in my bones!
I partially agree with you. We absolutely need a proper big man coach. No intent to bash Griffin but we have struggled too many years without a big man coach and continue to bring in "project" big men. Now the head scratching part - "make everyone forget Wilt"!! That is quite a stretch!!

I partially agree with you. We absolutely need a proper big man coach. No intent to bash Griffin but we have struggled too many years without a big man coach and continue to bring in "project" big men. Now the head scratching part - "make everyone forget Wilt"!! That is quite a stretch!!
I’m available - expert on drop steps, baby hooks, 2 handed set shots and underhand free throws. Call me at 1-800-OLD-School.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom