Peter Carey scoring as much as the starting forwards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Peter Carey scoring as much as the starting forwards

To say we are thin at the 4/5 position is an understatement.

Malique is a strong complimentary player playing above where is realistic he might.

Hima is tall but never should have come to Syracuse. McLeod decent enough but out. Carey would be a great volleyball player. Stunk to lose Jesse so late in the game.
Thin at the 4/5 for sure. Maliq as complimentary? I guess, but only if you're defining that as a player who's not going to make an All-ACC team and doesn't create his own offense. Otherwise, he leads this team in basically every advanced metric and is putting up close to double figures on 70+ percent shooting with a usage rate of just 14%. He's not perfect and I don't know that he's going to be the lead dog offensively here at any point, but he's a special player.

McCleod was unplayable in this particular system. He's probably an intriguing guy if healthy and if we can find a way to keep him close to the basket. When he's on the perimeter its not pretty.

Carey is a bit player for this year for sure, but he has interesting athleticism and aggressiveness. Not sure what the future holds for him, but I'm intrigued to see him get a handful of minutes going forward. There might be something there.

But yes, at this point we're really thin at the 5 in particular.

He actually looks better to me than first year Edwards. Smack sample size but I think he will develop into a real good player.
I don't know about a real good player, but I think he's interesting.

He actually looks better to me than first year Edwards. Smack sample size but I think he will develop into a real good player.
IMG_0026.gif

Carey has nice hands which is something Edwards had too. I'd be happy when he gets stronger and learns to position himself to block some shots, The amount of layups BC had was, well... way too many.

But to the point of the thread, the lack of defense is hurting Bell. He's trying but he has to get better if he wants more minutes or be on fire shooting 3's to make his +/- a plus.

As for points from forwards. A PG that looks to pass, picks off the ball to free Bell or Taylor would benefit the forwards along with grabbing some offensive rebounds and scoring from close range once in a while would help.

A lot of this team's problems are solved with a 3 who can play - dribble, score, defend and board (all just a little not All-american stuff). Someone who brings above average production in every facet.

Prolly not a winning formula.
Peter Carey does a lot of good things.
He plays with effort, which is a foundational, positive attribute that cannot be coached.
He is getting better with each minute of play.
Looks like he's put on some muscle too from last year. He is no Billy Celuck.
He actually shoots open shots, rather than always try to defer to one of the guards. We need more of this.
Makes mistakes, thinks too highly of his ability to guard guards on switches, but overall gets better and better.
Keep it up and his 4 points might become 8. And 8 is all we need from around 3ish players to have some balanced scoring.

Its crazy to me McCloud was granted the starting nod, given his performance in games.

So back to Carey, one thing I do think is interesting and somewhat telling is that the team looks for him. They're not afraid to give him the ball. It doesn't end up in his hands purely as a last resort.

You guys latch on to literally every single player that have their shoes touching the floor and think he’s the next best thing. Reading some of these comments I forget you’re talking about Carey.

You guys latch on to literally every single player that have their shoes touching the floor and think he’s the next best thing. Reading some of these comments I forget you’re talking about Carey.
I mean, for the record, my thoughts are:

1, I don't know what he can be as a finished product, but there could be something there
2, we need minutes at the 5 to come from somewhere, and we find ourselves in a situation where Carey could be the best option
3, his teammates don't seem to treat him like he's useless
4, it is pretty fun when tall, skinny white guys get dunks

So back to Carey, one thing I do think is interesting and somewhat telling is that the team looks for him. They're not afraid to give him the ball. It doesn't end up in his hands purely as a last resort.
well this changed.
because Judah didn't see or pass to him previously...

I mean, for the record, my thoughts are:

1, I don't know what he can be as a finished product, but there could be something there
2, we need minutes at the 5 to come from somewhere, and we find ourselves in a situation where Carey could be the best option
3, his teammates don't seem to treat him like he's useless
4, it is pretty fun when tall, skinny white guys get dunks
My thoughts are, maybe next year?

I’m glass is half full on PC. He shows promise, is most likely a role player, but has shown me enough for me to believe he could be a real contributor in a year or two.

Carey is a role player - he is not horrible and he isn't really good yet either. What he isn't is he isn't afraid to body people up and provide a least some defense with physicality, something this team solely lacks. He at least more often than not makes people earn a bucket. A lot of our guys don't.

Maliq is top 10-20 in a lot of categories in the ACC. To call him a complimentary player is a bit of an insult. He’s probably headed to an All ACC type season next year. I think people dog him because he’s undersized and not flashy enough.

I’m glass is half full on PC. He shows promise, is most likely a role player, but has shown me enough for me to believe he could be a real contributor in a year or two.
This is a fair take, but the issue arises in 'could be a contributor by his senior year' is a very risky way to build a program, and not something Red has time for. The sample size on Carey is still far too small, but as we've seen this year, counting on contributors to develop does not always pan out, and hurts the team significantly if it doesn't without viable alternative options.

This is a fair take, but the issue arises in 'could be a contributor by his senior year' is a very risky way to build a program, and not something Red has time for. The sample size on Carey is still far too small, but as we've seen this year, counting on contributors to develop does not always pan out, and hurts the team significantly if it doesn't without viable alternative options.
McCleod was supposed to be the guy, Carey is better anyways.

My thoughts are, maybe next year?
Ideally, for sure.

Circumstances being what they are, I think we should all just settle in and sing along to The Ballad of Big Peter Carey.

You know who was absolutely awful as a freshman? Rony Seikaly, except that Rony was a good soccer player. Rony would pick up 3 fouls in 5 minutes. Be out of control, but then do something great. It was towards the end of his sophomore year (3rd year as he was a redshirt) that he started to be a true impact player. His footwork became amazing under the tutelage of Bernie Fine.

I see some of the stuff PC does and wonder if he dedicates himself to strength and conditioning and stays healthy, could he be a player and evolve like Seikaly? Can he develop the footwork and drop steps like Seikaly?

Something to ponder….wonder if AG would like to spend the summer with BF and PC in Florida?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom