Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has left UConn without committing numorous times! Don’t let the meth ball confuse you. In a recruitment like this they are guaging schools reactions more than anything else. This kid has made all the schools still involved feel very good about their chances. I haven’t seen or heard anyone with any actual strong indication for one school over another from the 2x camp.

I just hope that he can be convinced to sign early rather than waiting until spring. That is a bigger concern to me than UConn or Prov. He’s seen those schools enough to know what they offer and don’t offer. If he is really set on one so be it but he’s had plenty of chances to pull the trigger on both and hasn’t.

Hope you are on to something. Some frequent posters over there are quite confident.

One thing they have is an obvious and easy guaranteed starting spot. They have literally dog scraps in their frontcourt. Any forward prospect who can stomach the AAC could find the immediate promise of 35+ minutes attractive.

If we land QG, without AA I see our forward rotation as Marek, EH and QG, with Braswell as the fourth forward. JB prefers to play 3. Quite a solid rotation. And I see no guarantee of a starting spot (and in fact it looks quite unlikely) with MD and BS as juniors. Obviously AA helps, would love to have him and he may play the 4/5 which would provide some great versatility, but we would be fine without him (again assuming we get Quincy). The PT argument is far cleaner at uconn.

Again I hope we land him but my rational side says this may be an uphill battle.

Jerry previously had Syracuse in the meth ball. Who knows who cares. Dude basically lives at UConn and still hasn’t committed I’m not worried. Doesn’t mean nothing til OV are done with.

AA starts day 1 or at the very very least, first off bench

That sounds good in theory but tell me who he is displacing in the starting lineup. You think JB would relegate Jr Marek or Sidibe (assuming both progress as many expect) to the bench? Doubtful. 6th man, yes quite possibly.

In the end it doesn't really matter, he would get solid minutes, but for guys looking to get to the league ASAP, a clear uninhibited path to huge minutes trumps other considerations. I don't know if that is the case here but it is certainly possible.

That sounds good in theory but tell me who he is displacing in the starting lineup. You think JB would relegate Jr Marek or Sidibe (assuming both progress as many expect) to the bench? Doubtful. 6th man, yes quite possibly.

In the end it doesn't really matter, he would get solid minutes, but for guys looking to get to the league ASAP, a clear uninhibited path to huge minutes trumps other considerations. I don't know if that is the case here but it is certainly possible.
Bazely would have taken Marek’s spot this year. Talent overtakes anything

Hope you are on to something. Some frequent posters over there are quite confident.

One thing they have is an obvious and easy guaranteed starting spot. They have literally dog scraps in their frontcourt. Any forward prospect who can stomach the AAC could find the immediate promise of 35+ minutes attractive.

If we land QG, without AA I see our forward rotation as Marek, EH and QG, with Braswell as the fourth forward. JB prefers to play 3. Quite a solid rotation. And I see no guarantee of a starting spot (and in fact it looks quite unlikely) with MD and BS as juniors. Obviously AA helps, would love to have him and he may play the 4/5 which would provide some great versatility, but we would be fine without him (again assuming we get Quincy). The PT argument is far cleaner at uconn.

Again I hope we land him but my rational side says this may be an uphill battle.
A bunch of things could happen.

Hughes goes to guard.

Marek goes to the 5.

There are all kinds of ways for different guys to see the floor. Akok would be right there.

Bazely would have taken Marek’s spot this year. Talent overtakes anything

I don't disagree but Marek as a Jr is in theory very different than what he will be day one this season. Bazely was also a legit top 5 talent.

Doesn't change the premise - clear path to starting role and 35 minutes is WIDE OPEN at uconn. Murkier at SU. If you are weighing risk, obviously there is literally zero wrt PT at uconn.

Gerry has been on the Deuce forever. He is a perfect fit for us. He steps in as a starter day one. I can see losing Stewart, i understand if Girard goes elsewhere but Gmac has to close Akok. No more bridesmaid.

I know that you hate GMAC, but JB has to close, he is the hall of Fame head coach not GMAC. GMAC has gotten us in great position with the Deuce it’s up to the head coach to close or punch it in.

I’ve heard the “he hangs around campus” story a million times.

About as prognostic as “Syracuse is my dream school.”

I know that you hate GMAC, but JB has to close, he is the hall of Fame head coach not GMAC. GMAC has gotten us in great position with the Deuce it’s up to the head coach to close or punch it in.
I dont " Hate" Gerry. For whatever reason he has been put in the position of SUs lead recruiter. To date he has failed. This year the supposed excuses are gone. Sanctions, Hop, pay offs etc.. I hope that he can close. Im sure that he is trying his best. At the end of tge day you have to own your results.

All their games are in TrueTv

I dont " Hate" Gerry. For whatever reason he has been put in the position of SUs lead recruiter. To date he has failed. This year the supposed excuses are gone. Sanctions, Hop, pay offs etc.. I hope that he can close. Im sure that he is trying his best. At the end of tge day you have to own your results.

The head coach has to close.

Gerry has been on the Deuce forever. He is a perfect fit for us. He steps in as a starter day one. I can see losing Stewart, i understand if Girard goes elsewhere but Gmac has to close Akok. No more bridesmaid.

What are your thoughts on losing out on Whitney? A one time very important recruit?

Lol

I would dispute that Gerry has been in the role of "lead" recruiter. He is no more "lead" recruiter than Red or Griff

I would dispute that Gerry has been in the role of "lead" recruiter. He is no more "lead" recruiter than Red or Griff
yep . . . division of labor; they each have their own targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors