Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to be that picky...a class of goodine, guerrier, girard, ajak, akok and anyone else I'm a happy camper...but yes another stud 5 would be over the top and we are in a good spot for a few of them...to me landing quincy AND akok is the gravy of this class...both big time players from day 1. Goodine is the real deal too. Girard I would love to have for obvious reasons but it wont make me cry if he goes elsewhere...quincy and akok going elsewhere might make me cry.
  • goodine, jba & jgiii is a very solid class
  • add either qg or aa and it is a very good one
  • add one of the 5s to that and it is excellent
  • add both qg and aa and - on paper - one of the best su classes ever

• goodine, jba & jgiii is a very solid class
  • add either qg or aa and it is a very good one
  • add one of the 5s to that and it is excellent
  • add both qg and aa and - on paper - one of the best su classes ever

While I agree with the general premise, a class of BG, JBA and JGIII would be quite disappointing - not in their individual skills, but we need to add to the frontcourt far more than the backcourt at this point. JBA may eventually be a solid player but SU clearly needs 1 and better yet 2 real impact players for the 3-5 positions. That class would do virtually nothing to address that immediate concern.

That said, add one of QG or AA to the above 3, and I think we would be in a solid frontcourt position given the versatility of the players we do have. While we would still be lacking some beef, most holes would be filled. I think this may be our most realistic outcome.. time will tell.

While I agree with the general premise, a class of BG, JBA and JGIII would be quite disappointing - not in their individual skills, but we need to add to the frontcourt far more than the backcourt at this point. JBA may eventually be a solid player but SU clearly needs 1 and better yet 2 real impact players for the 3-5 positions. That class would do virtually nothing to address that immediate concern.

That said, add one of QG or AA to the above 3, and I think we would be in a solid frontcourt position given the versatility of the players we do have. While we would still be lacking some beef, most holes would be filled. I think this may be our most realistic outcome.. time will tell.

It's very unlikely that the class will consist of just Goodine, JBA and JGIII. I suspect that if we do not land one or more of the frontcourt players currently on the radar that we will go to Plan C to address the immediate need of frontcourt help. It may not be what anyone wants to hear and i'm not suggesting this is how I think things will pan out, just that I find it unlikely that we won't get some front court help.

Last edited:
I'm not going to be that picky...a class of goodine, guerrier, girard, ajak, akok and anyone else I'm a happy camper...but yes another stud 5 would be over the top and we are in a good spot for a few of them...to me landing quincy AND akok is the gravy of this class...both big time players from day 1. Goodine is the real deal too. Girard I would love to have for obvious reasons but it wont make me cry if he goes elsewhere...quincy and akok going elsewhere might make me cry.

Exactly how I feel. Gimme Quincy and Akok over another center. Even if it was Stewart. Those two are the absolute key to our future success. The cupboard is stuffed with them. If we only get one that will hurt. I’d have to take Akok if given a choice, but Quincy seems like a lock at this point. I’d put Akok at 75%. Like our chances for both. Then Girard and Dimon for the cherries on top. Boom.

Seems like Guerrier is a coin flip all these guys are until they say syracuse I will remain concerned

About akok and yukon landing a top 10 class. Evan's seems to think they will land a top 10 class and he likes akok to Yukon :vomit:

"I am going to say that UConn gets it done in the 2019 cycle and finishes with a top-10 recruiting class nationally. However, for this to come to fruition, the Huskies have a lot more work to be done in the coming weeks and months.
Luckily, UConn has already grabbed the pledges of two solid backcourt prospects in Rivals150 guard
James Bouknight
and three-star
Jalen Gaffney
. Each should contribute immediately in Storrs, but those two will not be enough for Dan Hurley’s first class to finish in the top-10 of the team rankings.

What would push UConn over the top would be commitments from
Precious Achiuwa
Tre Mitchell
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
or
Kofi Cockburn
. It would probably take more than one pledge from that group - something like Akok, Cockburn or Achiuwa along with Wahab or Mitchell - to give the Huskies their best recruiting class in years.

I don't expect UConn to miss on all three of Akok, Cockburn and Achiuwa. Of the group, I like the Huskies’ chances with Akok the most and if they pair him with Mitchell, a Rivals150 center, UConn would have a fair enough argument for a top-10 class nationally."

Wasn't it just stated that Akok was 85% sure he was going to pick Syracuse? Wouldn't we still be considered the favorite?

About akok and yukon landing a top 10 class. Evan's seems to think they will land a top 10 class and he likes akok to Yukon :vomit:

"I am going to say that UConn gets it done in the 2019 cycle and finishes with a top-10 recruiting class nationally. However, for this to come to fruition, the Huskies have a lot more work to be done in the coming weeks and months.
Luckily, UConn has already grabbed the pledges of two solid backcourt prospects in Rivals150 guard
James Bouknight
and three-star
Jalen Gaffney
. Each should contribute immediately in Storrs, but those two will not be enough for Dan Hurley’s first class to finish in the top-10 of the team rankings.

Precious Achiuwa
Tre Mitchell
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
or
Kofi Cockburn
. It would probably take more than one pledge from that group - something like Akok, Cockburn or Achiuwa along with Wahab or Mitchell - to give the Huskies their best recruiting class in years.

I don't expect UConn to miss on all three of Akok, Cockburn and Achiuwa. Of the group, I like the Huskies’ chances with Akok the most and if they pair him with Mitchell, a Rivals150 center, UConn would have a fair enough argument for a top-10 class nationally."

One top 50 guy gets you a top 10 recruiting class now?

Wasn't it just stated that Akok was 85% sure he was going to pick Syracuse? Wouldn't we still be considered the favorite?
As I understand it, that never happened. Very misleading claim propagated in this thread.

They run a nice cuse fan page but I'm not sure if its kids running it or what but they don't have a good grasp on recruiting. Posted the other night that kofi was committing today because he was asked on his IG about when he was committing and kofi jokingly said "tomorrow" and who ever runs that fan page posted it. So I wouldnt put much stock into the 85% cuse lean for akok according to their "source"

James Bouknight
and three-star
Jalen Gaffney

Precious Achiuwa
Tre Mitchell
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
or
Kofi Cockburn

How does anyone with a brain think a mid-major AAC school, located far away from many of its far flung conference brethren in the Midwest and South, can land a top 10 class over top rated major conference programs and even middle tier major conference schools? The UConn coaches seem to be feeding self-serving tidbits to these reporters to try and reverse the downward-trajectory narrative of their program.

How does anyone with a brain think a mid-major AAC school, located far away from many of its far flung conference brethren in the Midwest and South, can land a top 10 class over top rated major conference programs and even middle tier major conference schools? The UConn coaches seem to be feeding self-serving tidbits to these reporters to try and reverse the downward-trajectory narrative of their program.
corey spent some time talking w/ uconn sources. hey, who knows, they might be right, but his reporting is a textbook case of recency bias.

Last edited:

I am with you. I am just not sure what Hurley is selling to these guys? He had decent success at RI, but not otherworldly. He has as of yet no track record at UCONN. They play in a bad conference against teams that don't matter, and they don't even play on campus. Truly think if Ollie couldn't succeed there, with his connections to pro athletes and his national freaking title with Jim's players, nobody will, unless they get called up to the P5.

James Bouknight
and three-star
Jalen Gaffney

Precious Achiuwa
Tre Mitchell
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
or
Kofi Cockburn

LOL he’s buying the hype cloud Hurley and staff are blowing to mislead recruits and other coaches.

I'm almost at the point that if a kid wanted to play for UConn in that conference against that competition when he could play in the ACC it says something about the kid where I would wonder if he had the stones to compete at the highest of levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom