Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not too worried. Hurley and co. have all their eggs in one basket here. They are offering more PT at the position than Cuse and are not really focusing on any other forwards outside of Precious who might be a spring signee where ever he goes. Akok visiting because he said he would, plain and simple.

Plain and simple guys. Lock the thread.

The way they talk about Syracuse as a city is hilarious.

And not everyone is afraid of a little snow.

And to steal their joke, anytime you get to spend winter flying to Wichita, Tulsa and wherever ECU is, you have to take it. I mean who would want to play in the Dome or Cameron when they can play in a 1/2 full announced crowd at Civic Center on a Wednesday against Tulane.

Last edited:
I checked the weather first thing there when I woke up this morning. It was 29 Degrees with a high of 52.

Today in Syracuse it was 40 with a high of 65.

They're idiots.

Yes they are. They are also like the Charlie Brown of college sports -- nothing they ever do turns out right.

First they get left out of major conference realignment.

Then, they delusionally convince themselves that it will all be all right because major conferences want them -- the B1G... NO, the Big 12 -- only to find themselves on the outside looking in as their football / hoops programs go down the tubes.

They hire an alum who is going to carry on the success that Calhoun had -- only to self-incriminate on NCAA penalties to get out of having to pay him severance.

Akok Akok was ostensibly going to announce his commitment not once, but twice this week... their insiders insist it! Oops...

And now they're comically / pathetically resorting to hoping that the weather is poor in CNY for Akok's visit, because - well, that's really the only hope that they have at this point - only to have it be an unseasonably warm 65 degrees in Syracuse.

Literally, nothing has gone right for them since they got left out of big boy college athletics.

lucy-football.jpg

It is so much fun watching them suck! I am happy that they got left out, and will never be anything more than a mid-major moving forward.

I'll never forget going to the International Bowl with friends in Toronto like 10 years ago when it was UConn vs UB because a kid we played with in high school started for UB. The UConn fans would talk a little crap but then we would hit them up with a chant of "What's in Connecticut? F_cking Nothing!" and that is still the 1st thing that pops into my head any time I hear the word Connecticut.

Yes they are. They are also like the Charlie Brown of college sports -- nothing they ever do turns out right.

First they get left out of major conference realignment.

Then, they delusionally convince themselves that it will all be all right because major conferences want them -- the B1G... NO, the Big 12 -- only to find themselves on the outside looking in as their football / hoops programs go down the tubes.

They hire an alum who is going to carry on the success that Calhoun had -- only to self-incriminate on NCAA penalties to get out of having to pay him severance.

Akok Akok was ostensibly going to announce his commitment not once, but twice this week... their insiders insist it! Oops...

And now they're comically / pathetically resorting to hoping that the weather is poor in CNY for Akok's visit, because - well, that's really the only hope that they have at this point - only to have it be an unseasonably warm 65 degrees in Syracuse.

Literally, nothing has gone right for them since they got left out of big boy college athletics.

lucy-football.jpg

It is so much fun watching them suck! I am happy that they got left out, and will never be anything more than a mid-major moving forward.
They did win a title in 2014. Just saying.

The University of San Francisco has 2 titles. Things change. Schools are left in the dust..

And the longer they make zero noise the further away those titles become. For a team with four titles in a short time span for college hoops they are talked about far less than a team with one title and two final fours since 2003. It burns them to the core so they come out with their own hunger games salute to us to show whose really boss...

images (1).jpeg

And the longer they make zero noise the further away those titles become. For a team with four titles in a short time span for college hoops they are talked about far less than a team with one title and two final fours since 2003. It burns them to the core so they come out with their own hunger games salute to us to whose really boss...

View attachment 142281

Yup. Just saying.

Hey listen, it’s all they have left.

They have to sell a recruit’s parents on the idea that they’re sending their son to a school where the women’s team outdraws the men’s and for their reward they get guaranteed road trips to Tulsa, Wichita St and SMU.

And they bend over backward to avoid having basketball recruits on campus during home football weekends because the product and atmosphere is embarrassing. Siting outside with 9,500 other people bitching about getting beat by a number higher than the temperature is not a fun time.

We’re taking the kid to a homecoming game...where hopefully we win in a comfortable dome that he’s going to play hoops in the following year.

It’s a night and day pitch. Love that the visits are so close together.
Can we get him a cake just in case?

The University of San Francisco has 2 titles. Things change. Schools are left in the dust..
That is such a stupid argument. They have won 3 titles since we last won, including 2 this decade. San Francisco won titles in the 50s. Yeah they are a mess right now, although they hired the hottest coaching candidate last year, who chose them over an ACC school. Let's see where they are in 5 years before we dig their grave. We haven't exactly been the model of consistency lately.

We end up looking dumb to other fan bases (most of all to them) when we say things like "I don't care about national titles, we get 20+ fans during the week." Bottom line is they have won 4. We have 1. Huge difference. I am sorry. I know we have been better for longer, but at the end of the day I look at championships. That is how programs are judged.

We have the massive advantage of the ACC versus the American. No doubt there. But I am the only one worried about our future? Our head coach is 73. What if our next hire turns out to be bad? Being in the ACC doesn't guarantee that your program sustains success (look at Pitt).

That is such a stupid argument. They have won 3 titles since we last won, including 2 this decade. San Francisco won titles in the 50s. Yeah they are a mess right now, although they hired the hottest coaching candidate last year, who chose them over an ACC school. Let's see where they are in 5 years before we dig their grave. We haven't exactly been the model of consistency lately.

We end up looking dumb to other fan bases (most of all to them) when we say things like "I don't care about national titles, we get 20+ fans during the week." Bottom line is they have won 4. We have 1. Huge difference. I am sorry. I know we have been better for longer, but at the end of the day I look at championships. That is how programs are judged.

We have the massive advantage of the ACC versus the American. No doubt there. But I am the only one worried about our future? Our head coach is 73. What if our next hire turns out to be bad? Being in the ACC doesn't guarantee that your program sustains success (look at Pitt).
I'm pretty sure you're on the wrong board.

They play sht teams day in and day out , are coming off consecutive losing records and three head coaches in six years.

I’m comfortable with 4>1. If they want to wave it around then fine. Because their program is depressing as sht otherwise.

They play sht teams day in and day out , are coming off consecutive losing records and three head coaches in six years.

I’m comfortable with 4>1. If they want to wave it around then fine. Because their program is depressing as sht otherwise.
The conference is a major issue. And Hurley will make or break their program going forward. I think he was a good hire.

I just hope we make one when the times comes. I'm nervous about it. Hard to replace a HOF coach. Look at yukon.

They had a really good 20 year stretch. They are not a great program. They caught lightning in a bottle for a little while and have since faded back into the afterthoughts they were previous to the early 90s. Unless they get into a power conf, it's unlikely they'll ever have any measure of sustained success again.

The conference is a major issue. And Hurley will make or break their program going forward. I think he was a good hire.

I just hope we make one when the times comes. I'm nervous about it. Hard to replace a HOF coach. Look at yukon.
He will leave UConn as soon as he can.

WE have the largest Home court in the country. We have ACC wealth. We have 1st rate facilities. Apparently we have a private jet. You can worry... I won't.

winning begets more winning. We will be very good this year. looks like we will be very good next year. Players like playing for good teams.

UConn will probably be mediocre in the AAC.

They had a really good 20 year stretch. They are not a great program. They caught lightning in a bottle for a little while and have since faded back into the afterthoughts they were previous to the early 90s. Unless they get into a power conf, it's unlikely they'll ever have any measure of sustained success again.
So "lighting in a bottle" is a 20 year stretch? This is what I mean. If they aren't a great program (they have 4 tiltes) than what are we? I know we have been better for LONGER than them but still. We demean ourselves when we talk like that.

We're in the ACC. They play in the American.

That alone will attract a better coach and better players.

Hurley won't stay there forever.

They don't even have a permanent home arena.

The visual of Hurley watching Akok and GMac leaving the tarmac is hilarious, true or not.
Should be good weekend for recruiting Akok, a lot of activities with Orange Central taking place, the campus should be alive and electric, there is a home football game and the weather should be nice.
Hopefully Goodine will be of some help with Akok as well, as he is taking his official as well.
I know the recent excitement with Stewart has diverted attention away from Akok on this board, but it should go without saying that if we get this kid it would beyond huge, with the added benefit of kicking UConn in the stones. Getting him and Guerrier would be beyond belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.