Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) Offered | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) Offered

Almost sounds like if we had guaranteed minutes he’d come, oh well.

im happy the staff is recruiting more nationally lately than they have in years past

That said its a telltale sign of the times. His being recruited as a part of their core 6 guys - it's where every talented kid expects to be and hard to turn down a virtual minutes guarantee.

Opinions of JB aside, if a program that has marred by a dirty coach and the FBI stuff that now has a new coach and not much to lean on in terms of where things will go as a team, can dangle out the minutes and land a kid on that and Arizona's name alone- it is what it is. As has been laid out on interviews and articles this new Portal madness is going to have coaches keeping their rosters smaller.

Last edited:
That said its a telltale sign of the times. His being recruited as a part of their core 6 guys - it's where every talented kid expects to be and hard to turn down a virtual minutes guarantee.
No offense, but if Arthur has as much confidence in his abilities as his coach, he wouldn’t fear Cole and Jimmy.

No offense, but if Arthur has as much confidence in his abilities as his coach, he wouldn’t fear Cole and Jimmy.

I don't see it at all as fear. It's a matter of inconvenience and if you can bypass it, many will. These kids are competitive on the court and work hard but it's a different mindset today. That old school I will prove myself and rise to the top is more important at the pro level. At the college level it's about getting out there as soon as they can.

I don't see it at all as fear. It's a matter of inconvenience and if you can bypass it, many will. These kids are competitive on the court and work hard but it's a different mindset today. That old school I will prove myself and rise to the top is more important at the pro level. At the college level it's about getting out there as soon as they can.
You’re right, I didn’t word it well. I just think the opportunity we offer is better. Maybe it is my orange colored glasses, but the chance to come in and compete with 3 other guys for two open forward starting positions is pretty sweet. None have been in the system. And, to play in the ACC while it’s relatively down and get all the exposure that brings. And to play in front of 30,000 fans. That is a pretty good pitch.

You’re right, I didn’t word it well. I just think the opportunity we offer is better. Maybe it is my orange colored glasses, but the chance to come in and compete with 3 other guys for two open forward starting positions is pretty sweet. None have been in the system. And, to play in the ACC while it’s relatively down and get all the exposure that brings. And to play in front of 30,000 fans. That is a pretty good pitch.

Agreed. Had we had those 30k last year maybe we aren't even talking about this kid given who could still be here.

I think Syracuse is in a perfect position here. We are the only team on his list that's not going to be a train wreck next year. He might want the easiest possible route to PT even if it means playing on a bad team, but we already know those kids aren't coming here anyway. If he happens to want to be on a decent team surrounded by talent we are his only choice.

Even if we don't land him, it's a great job by the staff. This is the kind of position we want to be in for any player potentially coming in for next year.

Another head to head with Hop too except this time it’s a kid from the West.

I think Syracuse is in a perfect position here. We are the only team on his list that's not going to be a train wreck next year. He might want the easiest possible route to PT even if it means playing on a bad team, but we already know those kids aren't coming here anyway. If he happens to want to be on a decent team surrounded by talent we are his only choice.

Even if we don't land him, it's a great job by the staff. This is the kind of position we want to be in for any player potentially coming in for next year.

If we added a piece like this kid, we could be good enough that he could feature and get major exposure even if he only came in and barely scratched 10 a game. That isn't easy to help a kid visualize but if you added that piece, especially one who is so good on the ball as a pt forward type, it potentially gives you a hybrid of Marek and QG.

The PT to me should not be an issue. Our “underutilized” freshman PG got 21 minutes a game last year.
He should want to practice against good players. If he doesn’t think he can play ahead of or at least along with those guys, then he is not a competitor. There are few sports positions where you can’t earn time during the games, goalkeepers and quarterbacks be the most obvious.

Washington is interesting here. I could see Hop closing the deal on this. Im biased but I always feel we have more to offer then those on that list but I can see why he might not want to come with our current situation. Every kid now wants instant gratification...different world. Still hoping we pull a rabbit out of a hat!

Washington is interesting here. I could see Hop closing the deal on this. Im biased but I always feel we have more to offer then those on that list but I can see why he might not want to come with our current situation. Every kid now wants instant gratification...different world. Still hoping we pull a rabbit out of a hat!
Call it reverse jinx or whatever but I’m feeling good on this one...we’re the only school that’s been there all along and Art is getting solid advice. Most random schools though...

Call it reverse jinx or whatever but I’m feeling good on this one...we’re the only school that’s been there all along and Art is getting solid advice. Most random schools though...
I liked the part where the coach said this.

"He's looking at some of the genuineness of the calls, who was real with him, who wasn't. We're going to try to decipher through some of that as well."

It seems like we are in this and being that we recruited hard the first time around it shows him that we really want him as a player. Its just hard to bet against kids wanting that guaranteed starting spot or big time minutes now a days. Glad we are giving it hell though and sounds like we'll all know soon.

Can you imagine Benny and Art as bookend forwards? Both big, strong and skilled. With Cole and Jimmy backing them up. Now THAT is a strong unit. I like our centers. Now, if we could just get one more guard, we’d be cooking.

Can you imagine Benny and Art as bookend forwards? Both big, strong and skilled. With Cole and Jimmy backing them up. Now THAT is a strong unit. I like our centers. Now, if we could just get one more guard, we’d be cooking.

Kaluma's handle could offset that need for another guard. He really does have a scoring Pt Fwd type of game. With a kid like this you are set with our 3 guards we have.

I liked the part where the coach said this.

"He's looking at some of the genuineness of the calls, who was real with him, who wasn't. We're going to try to decipher through some of that as well."

It seems like we are in this and being that we recruited hard the first time around it shows him that we really want him as a player. Its just hard to bet against kids wanting that guaranteed starting spot or big time minutes now a days. Glad we are giving it hell though and sounds like we'll all know soon.
I’m sure we’re playing the “we cleared the logjam for you” and a couple of the forwards can play 5...the timing with Q is not coincidental.

Yep. I still expect Jimmy and Cole to play the 5

I think it could happen at times to maximize our offense. Benny and Kaluma provide a solid defensive combo on the wings to where you could have C\J at times in there but just not for long stretches. Talk about being hard to guard.

Kaluma's handle could offset that need for another guard. He really does have a scoring Pt Fwd type of game. With a kid like this you are set with our 3 guards we have.
I agree, but it would be nice to have another guard for practices. Then again, I want room for the 2022 haul.

I agree, but it would be nice to have another guard for practices. Then again, I want room for the 2022 haul.

Yeah rolling with the current crew at G to help leave things in good shape for 2022 while adding this kid is a good strategy

I figure Benny or Arthur can slide and play the two if need be. They’ll both find a way to get plenty of playing time if Arthur gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom