Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

I think stacked may be an overstatement. Benny is a 5 star yes. But JB Jr. is coming from the Ivy (remember Seth Towns?). Cole averaged single digits at Nova and needs to prove his worth on the boards and defensively. Bourama has never been healthy not particularly effective for more than a couple of games. Jesse came on but still has a lot to prove. Frank is athletic but basically unknown after a de facto redshirt year.

Now make no mistake I am bullish on all of these guys for the most part and think they will help us win games. But let's not pretend Arthur will look at our roster and see Bird, Parish, McHale and Bill Walton in the front court.
well yeah not stacked in terms of most talent in NCAABB but indeed stacked in terms of players that will play and play a lot...Swider, Benny and Jimmy are all gonna see good minutes this season no matter what. Good enough for any goal the team wants to acheive, imo.

With Kaluma in the mix though...watch out...wow he would be a perfect piece to put this group over the top.

First year going hard against good competition at practice. Second year blowing up. Good plan.
We do have some advantages here. One, a Hall of Fame coach. We are going up against a new staff in Arizona. Another coach that referred to the plantation. Hop, coming off a bad season. Our tournament run. Might make us a little more attractive than certainly we would have been before the run. I think it's a tough get but we won't have to wait long to know and this 2 year plan certainly doesn't hurt us.

Im still not convinced like 75% of the people here seem to be, that Jimmy is gonna play like 35 minutes or something at forward. If we end with 3 forwards It’ll be close by default almost, unless Frank plays some 4 but i dont know. I’m still stuck on the facts that Jimmy wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the pandemic and transfers portal exodus and the fact that JB said himself Jimmy wasn’t good enough to play here originally and seems to be not as convinced of his skills as buddy’s (for obvious reason as buddy is clearly 1st ACC+ talent and potential). He’s good enough to play here I agree and I think he’ll serve just fine (my projection is better than bobby buckets production wise).

We do have some advantages here. One, a Hall of Fame coach. We are going up against a new staff in Arizona. Another coach that referred to the plantation. Hop, coming off a bad season. Our tournament run. Might make us a little more attractive than certainly we would have been before the run. I think it's a tough get but we won't have to wait long to know and this 2 year plan certainly doesn't hurt us.
Hard to argue against this. If we get him great...if not at least we gave it a shot. I hope it breaks our way and we will know soon enough.

True, but Arthur might consider the fact that the coach's kid [who is a senior] just joined the team. And that last year's offensive concept was structured around the coach's other kid.

I agree that if Kaluma is as talented as it appears, that he shouldn't worry about competition, but I could definitely see PT being a big issue / question mark in his eyes, given how our roster is currently composed. All comes down to whether Kaluma views himself as a one-and-done [hence, the need to play as much as possible to feature his capabilities] or a two-year guy, where competition for PT wouldn't matter short term.
Well, the other kid proved to be the best player on the team, and one of the best in the 2 tournaments
Let me try to make this more simple. Kaluma has stated that he wants to play -- a lot. He could look at Jimmy Jr.'s presence on the team as an impediment to that goal, given how JB utilizes Buddy.
Let me make this point clear: Jimmy is not the best player on the team: Buddy was. Buddy’s PT was based upon his abilities as a shooter, not his lineage.

Well, the other kid proved to be the best player on the team, and one of the best in the 2 tournaments

Let me make this point clear: Jimmy is not the best player on the team: Buddy was. Buddy’s PT was based upon his abilities as a shooter, not his lineage.
Last year. But the year before, Buddy WASN'T the best player on the team, and his utilization and minutes were out of whack with his performance to some degree.

Let me be even clearer: if you don't think that three of the most important evaluative criteria that Kaluma is pondering about SU are how crowded the frontcourt is, whether PT might be readily available, and how the head coach will distribute minutes in an already crowded frontcourt that now includes his son, then you haven't a clue how recruiting works.

The rest of your post is straw man irrelevant, but I'll bite. Yes, I do believe that a top 40 frontcourt recruit who has numerous other opportunities would be wise to think hard not just about JB's substitution patterns as a historical trend, but also how the presence of the HC's other son might affect said substitution pattern, given that he's transferring in as a highly experienced player.

Last edited:
Let me be even clearer: if you don't think that three of the most important evaluative criteria that Kaluma will factor into his decision are how crowded the frontcourt is, whether PT might be readily available, and how the head coach will distribute minutes in a crowded frontcourt that now includes his son, then you haven't a clue how recruiting works.

The rest of your post is straw man irrelevant, but I'll bite. Yes, I do believe that a top 40 frontcourt recruit who has numerous other opportunities would be wise to think hard not just about JB's substitution patterns as a historical trend, but also how the presence of the HC's other son might affect said substitution pattern, given that he's transferring in as a highly experienced player.
Pretty spot on and nothing wrong with this post. I'd imagine his coaches/parents will be breaking all of that down to him as well. It will be a hard thing to overcome with the recruiting landscape/college basketball in general being the way it is. Current roster/playing time/JBs history on how he uses his bench/sons on team will all be the main conversation in Kalumas camp...not any way around that.

Let me be even clearer, If you don't think that three of the most important evaluative criteria that Kaluma will factor into his decision are how crowded the frontcourt is, whether PT might be readily available, and how the head coach will distribute minutes in a crowded frontcourt that now includes his son, then you haven't a clue how recruiting works.

The rest of your post is straw man irrelevant.

RF, I have mixed feelings on your take. Now, there are two ways to look at it:
1. what is logically true or
2. what is perceived by a kid we are recruiting.

My take on these:
1. Logically, I don't think there is anything at all to the nepotism charges our fanbase have levied against JB. Buddy is clearly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a quality player. More importantly, he is a shooter. JB treats shooters very differently. Cooney got gobs of minutes if he was hitting shots or not. GMac, same. Andrew White, same. Other "shooters" the same. Once JB gets convinced you are a shooter - he plays the percentages that the more minutes you log, averages will average out in favor of the good shooter even when they experience slumps. You can disagree with that approach, but that has been his approach with players in the mold of Buddy who don't have a last name starting with Boeheim.

Now, Jimmy is NOT such a player. He is not a "shooter." So I don't believe he is going to log gobs of minutes unless he is effective in those minutes. The problem the fans had last year was misplaced charges of nepotism due to misunderstanding that JB was using his "shooter" minutes distro for Buddy and Joe, but not for Kadary (or Kadary suffered the consequently lower amount of available minutes). Anyway - my point is, I do not believe you can expect the minutes allocated to Jimmy to follow the same pattern as those allocated to Buddy. Different players completely and we have a lot (an awful lot) of data on how JB distributes minutes to back that up. In fact, Swider is way more likely to log minutes that make fans scratch their heads than Jimmy is, because he is a "shooter."

2. You may be absolutely right about how a recruit could perceive this situation and say it's a loser. Our own fans are desperate to believe there is nepotism, so why wouldn't a kid from the outside who also has opposing coaches using anything they can get as an advantage promoting the idea. And the whole nepotism thing is probably much more of a real problem in the HS and AAU worlds than it is at an elite college level with millions of dollars at stake so based on Kalumas existing experience base it would be easy to believe.

Art's job will be to push 2 of them to the bench.

IF he cannot do that vs. these 3 guys, what are the chances he's actually a future NBA guy?
Absolutely This. And this is how we should be thinking every time we believe a kid could go elsewhere for more playing time. Is that always in the kid's best interest?

Who cares if you get playing time to "showcase" yourself if it doesn't really make you any better or if you are not a true NBA talent anyway? If you think you are good and think you should play, then prove it.

Phoenix is his home (ASU), not Tucson (A).

The return of King Art! We were in early on this one over a year ago. Things were sounding good for Cuse early as he really liked what SU had to offer his game. Speaking of his game... Art is versatile as he can play multiple spots mainly the forward spots, but he has some guard skills. Solid handle, pretty decent shot. He can slash and play pick-and-roll. Kid gets after it on D and is a walking double-double. Lots to love here. Get the talent in and let the cream rise to the top. IMO, there is a lot of position versatility not only with Kaluma but also with Benny and Cole/Jimmy/Frank.

Last year. But the year before, Buddy WASN'T the best player on the team, and his utilization and minutes were out of whack with his performance to some degree.

Let me be even clearer: if you don't think that three of the most important evaluative criteria that Kaluma is pondering about SU are how crowded the frontcourt is, whether PT might be readily available, and how the head coach will distribute minutes in an already crowded frontcourt that now includes his son, then you haven't a clue how recruiting works.

Please don't join in on any recruiting calls

I'm assuming Kaluma would be vying for small forward based on the skill set I am reading about here, even if his size screams power forward.

So he has to compete for the spot at the 3. I think Arthur can come in and be the 3rd forward at worst ...behind Williams (4) and Swider (3), and particularly because he could play either. If he's good, he should be able to pass Jimmy B. Seems that would get you significant minutes in year 1

I'm assuming Kaluma would be vying for small forward based on the skill set I am reading about here, even if his size screams power forward.

So he has to compete for the spot at the 3. I think Arthur can come in and be the 3rd forward at worst ...behind Williams (4) and Swider (3), and particularly because he could play either. If he's good, he should be able to pass Jimmy B. Seems that would get you significant minutes in year 1
I think the forward position at SU is pretty much just forward. No distinction between small and power. Especially with the group we currently have as they are diversely skilled. Benny and Art would be a hell of a pairing, because they are both big and athletic enough to rebound and defend. And, they are both versatile scorers with handle and the ability to drive to the basket and finish at the rim.

RF, I have mixed feelings on your take. Now, there are two ways to look at it:
1. what is logically true or
2. what is perceived by a kid we are recruiting.

My take on these:
1. Logically, I don't think there is anything at all to the nepotism charges our fanbase have levied against JB. Buddy is clearly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a quality player. More importantly, he is a shooter. JB treats shooters very differently. Cooney got gobs of minutes if he was hitting shots or not. GMac, same. Andrew White, same. Other "shooters" the same. Once JB gets convinced you are a shooter - he plays the percentages that the more minutes you log, averages will average out in favor of the good shooter even when they experience slumps. You can disagree with that approach, but that has been his approach with players in the mold of Buddy who don't have a last name starting with Boeheim.

Now, Jimmy is NOT such a player. He is not a "shooter." So I don't believe he is going to log gobs of minutes unless he is effective in those minutes. The problem the fans had last year was misplaced charges of nepotism due to misunderstanding that JB was using his "shooter" minutes distro for Buddy and Joe, but not for Kadary (or Kadary suffered the consequently lower amount of available minutes). Anyway - my point is, I do not believe you can expect the minutes allocated to Jimmy to follow the same pattern as those allocated to Buddy. Different players completely and we have a lot (an awful lot) of data on how JB distributes minutes to back that up. In fact, Swider is way more likely to log minutes that make fans scratch their heads than Jimmy is, because he is a "shooter."

2. You may be absolutely right about how a recruit could perceive this situation and say it's a loser. Our own fans are desperate to believe there is nepotism, so why wouldn't a kid from the outside who also has opposing coaches using anything they can get as an advantage promoting the idea. And the whole nepotism thing is probably much more of a real problem in the HS and AAU worlds than it is at an elite college level with millions of dollars at stake so based on Kalumas existing experience base it would be easy to believe.

#1 is your biased attribution.

#2 is what recruits are focused on, and how we're being recruited against by other schools.

I think the forward position at SU is pretty much just forward. No distinction between small and power. Especially with the group we currently have as they are diversely skilled. Benny and Art would be a hell of a pairing, because they are both big and athletic enough to rebound and defend. And, they are both versatile scorers with handle and the ability to drive to the basket and finish at the rim.

there’s a distinct difference between the 3 and 4 on offense

Yep. Benny is big btw

there’s a distinct difference between the 3 and 4 on offense
I think that is mostly because we have had guys that have had small forward skills and they have been coupled with guys with big forward skills. And in order to have even close to competent rebounding, there has to be a big forward. But, if both forwards have diverse skill sets including, shooting, rebounding, ball handling and shot blocking, then that is ideal and makes the forward positions the same but that much more dangerous.

I think that is mostly because we have had guys that have had small forward skills and they have been coupled with guys with big forward skills. And in order to have even close to competent rebounding, there has to be a big forward. But, if both forwards have diverse skill sets including, shooting, rebounding, ball handling and shot blocking, then that is ideal and makes the forward positions the same but that much more dangerous.

that’s kind of backwards. It’s great if we have a forward that can play both the 3 and 4. Even better if we have two. But that doesn’t change the role of the positions in our offense. This was discussed in another thread and I posted diagrams of some of our offensive sets/plays. The 3 is a wing like the 2. The 4 is not. Unless we play a 4 out which we don’t. Maybe we will run some of that next year with so many shooters.

that’s kind of backwards. It’s great if we have a forward that can play both the 3 and 4. Even better if we have two. But that doesn’t change the role of the positions in our offense. This was discussed in another thread and I posted diagrams of some of our offensive sets/plays. The 3 is a wing like the 2. The 4 is not. Unless we play a 4 out which we don’t. Maybe we will run some of that next year with so many shooters.
It is more the way I see the ideal zone college team. The forwards are versatile enough to play both roles, and depending on matchups, that is who plays each role. It is very difficult to do, because we never have the personnel to do it, and I doubt JB sees it the same way as I do. But, anyway, it is exciting to think of the possibility of having two forwards that could possibly fulfill my dream set of forwards.

#1 is your biased attribution.

#2 is what recruits are focused on, and how we're being recruited against by other schools.

I feel there is decade upon decade of data supporting #1 but anyway, on number 2: I see Washington on his list. Are they a real player and do we think Hopkins would use this angle against JB? I don’t think he would, but he might be the only coach in the USA who wouldn’t.

I would love to get this kid, and sincerely hope he goes with us.
But frankly after the last few years, I have no faith in how JB allocates his bench time, especially if I’m a freshman not named Melo or DC playing at a loaded position on the team.
If the logjam happens and Art is sitting watching others play, expect to hear that “he’s still learning the defense”, or “other players bring more to the table” blah blah blah.
So, unless Art is willing to accept the one year apprenticeship at SU, which seems unlikely as a legit Top 30 talent, then he’s probably not coming here. JMHO

It is more the way I see the ideal zone college team. The forwards are versatile enough to play both roles, and depending on matchups, that is who plays each role. It is very difficult to do, because we never have the personnel to do it, and I doubt JB sees it the same way as I do. But, anyway, it is exciting to think of the possibility of having two forwards that could possibly fulfill my dream set of forwards.

the zone college team is defense. And yes defensively our 3 and 4 are pretty much the same in the zone defense. I’m talking on offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom