Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

you guys are so quick to assume lol. we got to relax and just let the staff do their thing. We're far from out of it and so are the other teams. Its not a one man race

What do you mean? You don't mean that we are on the winning side of the portal at the guard position so I don't understand the use of the word light? And I wasn't talking portal only. I thought I made that clear with the inclusion of Benny.
Brite

While this is probably true, it is no longer a feasible way to manage a college basketball team because you have to have a specific role (including projected starters and minutes) already determined for any and every guy you bring in or he will either never come or will leave immediately.

Every single coach in the P5 will have the one and done problem, whether they transfer or try for the pros.

Every year is going to be rebuilding 5-10 roster spots with only deep projects, returning starters not good enough to go pro, and absolute homers who don't care if they have to wait sticking around. Everybody else is off to greener pastures.

Then you take 3 freshman and 3 transfers to fill the roster, and every one of them is a crap shoot as to whether he can perform or not.

The only way to build a roster under these crap shoot conditions is to over engineer and recruit too many guys and let them figure it out. The players who win those competitions will play and the others will leave, one way or another.

Rinse and repeat, year after year.

The good thing is JB can win with sub 100 talent one way or another. He's going to thrive in this new environment. There are a lot of coaches who won't, and some (Roy Williams and maybe Coach K) will retire rather than figure it out.

Probably in the minority here, but I would rather keep this spot open for Filipowski in 22. Seems like some of the guys we used to have in the FC that really struggled shooting.

Last edited:
Probably in the minority here, but I would rather keep this spot open for Filopowski in 22. Seems like some of the guys we used to have in the FC that really struggled shooting.
I hear you and I love Filopowski like you do but in recruiting I subscribe to the bird in the hand approach. We don’t know what Filo will do and how his recruitment will blow up plus Art and Filo don’t necessarily play the same position and with their versatility they can play together. Plus we have plenty of spots open next year anyway so maybe you can get them both.
I’d grab Kaluma today in a heartbeat and keep after Filo.

Right. Andy was a better fit for what that team needed, even though he couldn't take it to the rack like Devo.

Remember early in that 2010 season, when a poster declared that Andy was the worst starting guard in the history of JB's run at Syracuse? LOL.
That comment must have been real early in the season, because Andy may have been the best player on the court at MSG vs Cal and UNC.

That comment must have been real early in the season, because Andy may have been the best player on the court at MSG vs Cal and UNC.
Andy is one of the best basketball players, in the whole sense of the term, that we have had at SU in the 2000s.

Probably in the minority here, but I would rather keep this spot open for Filipowski in 22. Seems like some of the guys we used to have in the FC that really struggled shooting.
I'd be stunned if Benny plays more than one year.

Jimmy definitely won't be back in '22-23.

Even with this kid, Filipowski would have plenty of playing time available to him if he chose SU.

Don't think this impacts Kalumas decision but its one more guy that gets playing time for them. (I don't know much about their roster make up) but I think Tyty to UK is looking solid.

Just took a peek at the Zona board and they seem to think its between them and Creighton. Not giving us much thought which isn't really surprising.

So Kaluma might have competition for playing time at Zona. Maybe we have a shot...what can Creighton/Washington offer him? I'd think Hop has more appeal then Creighton and the Plantation coach can offer.

If he goes to SU he will play he will be seen often, play in front of 25k and he will end up going pro in 2 years
Without a doubt. Time to make the call

So Kaluma might have competition for playing time at Zona. Maybe we have a shot...what can Creighton/Washington offer him? I'd think Hop has more appeal then Creighton and the Plantation coach can offer.
I think Hop is an outstanding recruiter, and a genuinely nice guy having had the pleasure to meet him under professional circumstances. But, Hop is on the "Hop Seat / Hot Seat" and any recruit is going to understand that if Hop doesn't get it done this year he will be history at WU.
So I'm thinking we just might have a realistic shot here. Of course I do realize that I tend to wear Orange Glasses in these matters.

I'm concerned. about Creighton. UofA is under a cloud. By year 2 there would be rain on that parade. UW means no post season.

If he doesnt wear orange im good with Creighton. Great program that im pretty close to

With a 2 year plan, Cuse seems to be his best option, considering exposure and level of competition. On the downside there is lack of year 1 PT. Good to know that Creighton is rebuilding. W Kentucky is a head scratcher - big fish in a small pond? money or other bennies? I don't get how LSU, Kansas, AZ, Ville keep on rolling. After the N Carolina fiasco the vibe is that there are no consequences. The next year will be telling.

Kaluma is the player to be named later in the Kaleb Joseph deal. Creighton just needs to make sure they don't breach the contract. Deal not fair? Suck it up.
Is the fat lady singing?

We talked all about Kaluma and reactions to that article on the pod today. Hope you guys can check it out!
I liked how Benny Williams is so focused on just getting better as a basketball player.

I feel like that can be a great pitch to Kaluma...he will get way better going up agains the other forwards at SU, imo. Just working out and practicing against high quality player day in and day out will be so Benny-ficial :)

With a 2 year plan, Cuse seems to be his best option, considering exposure and level of competition. On the downside there is lack of year 1 PT. Good to know that Creighton is rebuilding. W Kentucky is a head scratcher - big fish in a small pond? money or other bennies? I don't get how LSU, Kansas, AZ, Ville keep on rolling. After the N Carolina fiasco the vibe is that there are no consequences. The next year will be telling.

If Kaluma is an NBA player, he can beat out Jimmy Boeheim for most minutes as the third forward.

I think Jimmy is almost better suited to being the situational small ball center, kind of like Marek but with more scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom