Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

Its always "next year" with some of you. Wait until next year that class will be a monster class. These are the type of program kids we need to get to have success the way we recruit. We never going to have a monster class getting kids like this is a big loss. You cant lose recruiting battles to Butler you just can't. Not a pretty picture no matter what colors you use.

I mean we lost a recruiting battle to NC State and one to Tennessee not long ago.

Its always "next year" with some of you. Wait until next year that class will be a monster class. These are the type of program kids we need to get to have success the way we recruit. We never going to have a monster class so not getting kids like this is a big loss. You cant lose recruiting battles to Butler you just can't. Not a pretty picture no matter what colors you use.

In the end we got boned by Baz, but I felt Baz, Carey and Buddy (and include Hughes) was a great class. Then once again, we got tossed into scramble mode.

I'm not going to cry over a kid who isn't a top 100 ranked recruit and we had never even heard of him until a few weeks ago. Maybe he made the smart move for himself where there is lots of PT opportunity available at Butler. Was he going to play more than 10 mpg here next season, if that? And then get recruited over in the next class by a top 60 kid. Maybe he analyzed the situation better than Jordan Tucker who went for the glamour and realized he was never going to play at Duke when he would have at SU.

What a coincidence. We had sanction those years. We are coming out of them now. There are better days ahead. A 3 1/2 star recruit finding a better place for himself doesn't change that.
My god we just missed on a 3 Star recruit no one had ever heard of, or would’ve heard of, but for our 5 star recruit leaving us in the lurch. But recruitings off...got it

the staff appeared to have done its job until baz decides to make g league history. this was a scramble recruit. bg would have been a nice recovery recruit, but it is not like he was a major target who spurned us.

if ty comes back we are totally fine, if not another warm body would be nice, mostly in case of injury or other misfortune.

i am not reading too much into this one.

the one thing, i will say, is that we will have some frontcourt holes next season, and i hope the staff is not waiting on longshot recruit stewart.

In the end we got boned by Baz, but I felt Baz, Carey and Buddy (and include Hughes) was a great class. Then once again, we got tossed into scramble mode.

Agree with you. But every year there’s a scramble mode. If it was a one-off, that’s one thing.

Fool me once, shame on you...

Historically, we've been able to overcome the "immediate playing time" card when used against us. We are no longer able to do so. I think fewer kids want to wait, but I also think we're not able to sell the SU experience as well as we once did.

We see kids not wanting to wait with the whole OAD culture and kids choosing to transfer for more PT over being a four year “program guy.” I think this is just reality and the name on the front of the jersey doesn’t matter like it once did.

Historically, we've been able to overcome the "immediate playing time" card when used against us. We are no longer able to do so. I think fewer kids want to wait, but I also think we're not able to sell the SU experience as well as we once did.

The SU experience evidently has been less than ideal recently for...

Patterson
Joseph
BJ Johnson
Thompson
Thorpe
Moyer

Whether asked to leave or leaving on their own volition...not good for a team that lacks depth. And the PR sucks.

The overreactions are real. Some people don’t realize how hard it is to grab a recruit you just started recruiting a month ago. We had no relationship built with this kid at all. That’s going to be a hard battle to win no matter what. We needed another forward hence why the staff went after one. It would be nice to have another one but we’ll survive as always. If Baz never leaves none of this happens and we’re in happy go lucky land still. We are down some I agree but we aren’t at the bottom of the pit.

The SU experience evidently has been less than ideal recently for...

Patterson
Joseph
BJ Johnson
Thompson
Thorpe
Moyer

Whether asked to leave or leaving on their own volition...not good for a team that lacks depth. And the PR sucks.

It happens almost everywhere, and especially happens when you have reduced scholarships.
Also, these days kids seem less interested in sitting and waiting their turn. It is a me first, NOW! attitude. Paying your dues doesn't exist anymore.
2019 & onward is what is important, as the sanctions go away, we shall see what happens. Everything that has happened since those sanctions is colored by them. Despite many on here not understanding/believing it. Similar things happened the last time, but apparently too many on here are too young to remember that time.

Now we really need battle to come back. Can't really be shocked we barely recruited the kid.

And yet we still manage to put a 1st round pick in the draft every year. Hmm

Bryce just committed to Butler.

Bummer. I liked his kid’s game. I thought he could develop into a very good player for us over the next four years, with both mid range and low post skills. Man, losing out on a recruit to Butler really does sting. It’s tough not to see how leaving the Big East hasn’t hurt our recruiting and identity a bit. Mid-majors like Butler never had a chance with top East Coast recruits, especially if they were going up against SU or Gtown. I’m still surprised that middling programs Providence and Seton Hall (two teeny tiny Catholic schools with so-so academics) have gained competitive traction due to the mass exodus from the Big East. I know Golden was probably concerned about playing time or getting recruited over. But then how did Duke manage to land Jordan Tucker, even though he knew his playing time would be limited as a freshman and that he might get recruited over, yet we can’t beat out *Butler* on these same questions? Ah well, time to move on... we could def use another forward for next season.

This has nothing to do with Battle. It was all about front court depth.

Agree. I was lost on the Battle connection unless he was saying that if Battle came back, Hughes can focus on playing the 3 more?

Chewy and Sid at the 5.
Dolezaj and Brissett at the 4.

Sid was the walking dead last year so basically we had one body in the post. So your telling me we don’t need another big man. The coaches thought so that’s we had to go after this kid

the staff appeared to have done its job until baz decides to make g league history. this was a scramble recruit. bg would have been a nice recovery recruit, but it is not like he was a major target who spurned us.

if ty comes back we are totally fine, if not another warm body would be nice, mostly in case of injury or other misfortune.

i am not reading too much into this one.

the one thing, i will say, is that we will have some frontcourt holes next season, and i hope the staff is not waiting on longshot recruit stewart.

I’ll be shocked if Ty returns. We’re likely looking at a 9-man roster. It’s fine if everyone is healthy, but with the uncertainty involving Washington and Sidibe, it’s cause for concern.

It’s reached the point where we can’t even use up our allotment of scholarships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom