Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

“3 star recruit no big deal”

Hmmm I remember the days we were winning 30 games and going to final fours with some lowly rated guys In Arinze, Triche, Dirty, and Rautins. Wonder if we win the same amount of games had went elsewhere. Our roster needs to build from within like Nova does. We can’t keep doing what we are doing.

He wants to play immediately and go under the radar at a program where the expectations aren't high. He could have gone to Georgetown where he would have had to compete for minutes on a team that looks to be better next season. Says all you need to know. On to the next one.
Yeah it’s all PT

You are what your record is. At this point there are no excuses. We lost our best recruiter in Hop and it shows.

Relax. He's a three star.

Griffin pulled Bazley in. If SU had a booster that could have dropped off a bag, he wouldn't have run off into Rich Paul's arms.

It’s going to have to be. Probably five, maybe six players.
At this point in spite of major playing time available we dont seem to be leading for any of our A list recruits.

At this point in spite of major playing time available we dont seem to be leading for any of our A list recruits.

Tend to think that the staff is going to have to work harder to put this class together than they have in quite some time.

It’ll form the foundation of the program as JB closes out his career. It’s a big deal.

This is a kid who was burnt by a big program and was sold on the idea of being a B- athlete with an A role in Butler.

I cant begrudge him although it frustrates the hell out of me.

Golden is a better player than Moyer. That’s quite evident. Moyer is a great kid, brings a lot of energy off the bench, but his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired.
Where do you get the sense that it's "quite evident" that Golden is better than Matt? Honest question, no snark.
The videos in this thread make him look like a 'decent/good high school player.' His ESPN rating is 81 and Moyer's was 82. Golden's 247 national ranking was 212, and Moyer's was 66.

Would have been good to have his size, tenacity, inevitable 'basketball IQ' as depth, since i don't expect us to be healthy, but i didn't see a guy who was going to compete more effectively than Moyer in our conference. Maybe i'm missing something and should be more disappointed.

Jake and iommi are as good as anyone on this board when it comes to recruiting.

Hop was obviously a huge blow. We essentially replaced him with AG, who to his credit did land Baze, but Hop was great on the trail.

I think kids aren't buying the aura of playing for perceived "big name programs" anymore. Duke and UK still have that lure, but does anyone else? Taking Duke and UK out of the picture, here's the schools who have a top 30 commit this year: Oregon (2), Indiana, UNC (2), Kansas (2), Maryland, LSU (3), UCLA (2), Vanderbilt (2), Wake Forest, Villanova, Florida, Mississippi State. Now we all know about Kansas, UNC and Villanova. But LSU, Vandy and Oregon having multiple top 30 guys? Mississippi State but not Michigan State? Wake Forest but not Louisville? Maryland but not Michigan? UCLA not Arizona?

When Jake mentioned the playing time, I think this backs up this theory. It appears that kids now would rather play for someone like Providence right away as opposed to being the 9th man on Kansas.

I do think there's an extra edge in the ACC since we can sell national TV, Duke/UNC, etc. But at the end of the day, if a kid thinks he's going to play 8 minutes a game at Syracuse, and he looks at Butler and sees a possibility for 25 minutes a game - I think for the most part it immediately becomes more attractive. Does he think "well I can sit for a year under JB and learn, then when I'm a sophomore I'll be bumped up to 20 minutes a game!", or does he think playing 25 minutes a game in the Big East will give him more exposure right off the bat and a better chance to develop?

If we strike out in 2019 I will be seriously worried. As of now we will most likely only have Chukwu, Sidibe, Hughes, Carey, Boeheim, HoWash and Goodine on the roster (I think Marek probably leaves; Carey may even be 50/50). That is a TON of playing time for 2s, 3s and 4s. Kids will immediately see a lot of available time and all of a sudden we become way more attractive.

I can't blame Golden, like a few have said here, Butler returns like 5ppg at his position. He looks at Syracuse and sees Brissett and Marek and knows he may only get 10 minutes a game. He's also probably seeing the type of kids were looking at for 2019 and a possibility he will get recruited over. I think for the most part these kids weigh playing time from day 1 heavily in their decision - then from there they go to fit, coaching staff, playing style, campus life, etc.

Where do you get the sense that it's "quite evident" that Golden is better than Matt? Honest question, no snark.
The videos in this thread make him look like a 'decent/good high school player.' His ESPN rating is 81 and Moyer's was 82. Golden's national ranking was 212, and Moyer's was 66.

Would have been good to have his size, tenacity, inevitable 'basketball IQ' as depth, since i don't expect us to be healthy, but i didn't see a guy who was going to compete more effectively than Moyer in our conference. Maybe i'm missing something and should be more disappointed.

I’ve watched a fair amount of film on Golden. I saw Moyer play in prep school and obviously watched him play last year. Golden is a more complete player offensively. It’s easy to see that he has a nice mid range jumper that extends out to the three. He also finishes well at the basket.

I was disappointed with Moyer’s game last year after sitting out a year. He attacked the rim at times with success on baseline drives but was unable to find his jumper. He played with a lot of enthusiasm but provided little to no offense with the exception of a few games. He was slowed by an ankle injury, of course, so that hampered his game. But too often he played like a deer in the headlights while handling the ball and looking to create a shot.

Just my opinion: I like Golden’s game better.

If we strike out in 2019 I will be seriously worried. As of now we will most likely only have Chukwu, Sidibe, Hughes, Carey, Boeheim, HoWash and Goodine on the roster (I think Marek probably leaves; Carey may even ...
Chukwu is gone after this season unless A) the NCAA grants him a 6th year and B) he wants to use it.

I’ve watched a fair amount of film on Golden. I saw Moyer play in prep school and obviously watched him play last year. Golden is a more complete player offensively. It’s easy to see that he has a nice mid range jumper that extends out to the three. He also finishes well at the basket.

I was disappointed with Moyer’s game last year after sitting out a year. He attacked the rim at times with success on baseline drives but was unable to find his jumper. He played with a lot of enthusiasm but provided little to no offense with the exception of a few games. He was slowed by an ankle injury, of course, so that hampered his game. But too often he played like a deer in the headlights while handling the ball and looking to create a shot.

Well that and that Moyer is no longer on the team and SU was actively recruiting Golden to play Moyer’s minutes.

I appreciate the assessment. I don't agree, as i was excited about Moyer based on his HS 'tapes,' and think they more than match up against Golden at the same age. It was definitely disappointing to not see Matt come in to college with a contribution to match the expectations i had. But, that's why i discount Golden even further—i'm not comparing Golden's HS successes to Moyer's college 'failures.' I'm trying to project the same kind of transition for Golden, and i just didn't see a successful comparable player in the NCAA. But, hey, i've been wrong about some players who turned out to be really good.

Well that and that Moyer is no longer on the team and SU was actively recruiting Golden to play Moyer’s minutes.
Moyer barely played Moyer's minutes!

But as others have said, this had to be mostly due to PT. We all knocked Jordan Tucker for doing exactly what we were hoping Golden would do. Go to a program, come off the bench and potentially get recruited over. He made a great move for himself.

I think Golden was only being offered the minutes when Marek was out of the game. If OB gets in foul trouble or is out for any other reason, Hughes will get those as he is a shooter and scorer and has experience with the team and at the D1 level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom