Class of 2019 - PF/C Kai Jones (NH/Brewster) to Texas | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF/C Kai Jones (NH/Brewster) to Texas

Ok, so this is crazy. Consider Wahab (C), Stewart (C/PF), Akok (PF/C), Jones (PF) & Ajak (C). I think that we would take three, if we were so fortunate, to cover the C/PF positions. That would assume one of these guys would accept a developmental role. The dream (for me at least) would be Stewart, Akok and Jones. Obviously Stewart is easily the alpha here, so any combination with him is huge. I really like Kai Jones, he is an intelligent kid with tons of potential. He is likely a multi year player, due to his academic standards and the fact that he has to physically develop, likely for a couple of years. Sorry for the incomplete thoughts, I have a cold and I am medicated and I am psyched.

Ok, so this is crazy. Consider Wahab (C), Stewart (C/PF), Akok (PF/C), Jones (PF) & Ajak (C).
there is not necessarily any real difference between the 3 and the 4 in jb's system, and i think akok is destined to be a 3 at the next level.

there is not necessarily any real difference between the 3 and the 4 in jb's system, and i think akok is destined to be a 3 at the next level.
Yeah, but I kind of block out the 3 for Guerrier. And I am not sure any of those guys have the ball handling I would want from at least one of the forwards.

Ok, so this is crazy. Consider Wahab (C), Stewart (C/PF), Akok (PF/C), Jones (PF) & Ajak (C). I think that we would take three, if we were so fortunate, to cover the C/PF positions. That would assume one of these guys would accept a developmental role. The dream (for me at least) would be Stewart, Akok and Jones. Obviously Stewart is easily the alpha here, so any combination with him is huge. I really like Kai Jones, he is an intelligent kid with tons of potential. He is likely a multi year player, due to his academic standards and the fact that he has to physically develop, likely for a couple of years. Sorry for the incomplete thoughts, I have a cold and I am medicated and I am psyched.
I doubt we are going to take (or be able to land) three centers. No way. Four of these players are top 100 guys. Stewart is probably a long shot. So we’ll either get Jones, Wahab or Ajak (third choice) for the center spot. Akok is a PF and a scorer. But he’s not going to decide for a while and it’s going to be a horse race to get him.

Last edited:
I doubt we are going to take (or be able to land) three centers. No way. Four of these players are top 100 guys. Stewart is probably a long shot. So we’ll either get Jones, Wahab or Ajak (third choice) for the center spot. Akok is a PF and a scorer. But he’s not going to decide for a while and it’s going to be a horse race to get him.
I am. Wondering if Akok waits to the second signing period and if we sign 1 of the four above plus QG and JGIII, will he still consider going to Syracuse?

I agree... if we can get Kai and Qudus to commit, even though I love Akok, I think you take it. Holding out for Akok is potentially risky. IMO we'll be fine.

imo, in this day and age, it's smart to sell guys on playing their likely nba position
only qudus and jba are true centers. stewart and jones both would be playing the 4 at the next level and being recruited as a 5 is probably a negative. akok is a 3/4 no difference in jb's system but he projects to a 3 at the next level.

jb could easily fit 4 of these guys into the class - qudus & jba as centers, akok plus either of stewart/jones as forwards

We only have 3 spots left, although we will likely have 1 or 2 early departures.

I think the top picks left on the board are Girard at guard, Guerrier at wing forward and Wahab at Center, based on recent visits and activity. If we got those 3 to go with Goodine, that would be a pretty good class.

We only have 3 spots left, although we will likely have 1 or 2 early departures.

I think the top picks left on the board are Girard at guard, Guerrier at wing forward and Wahab at Center, based on recent visits and activity. If we got those 3 to go with Goodine, that would be a pretty good class.
When you say top picks are you reading tea leaves on what the staff thinks or giving your opinion? I like Lester over Girard.

Ha. Precisely why I would kill for Stewart. College (maybe pro) ready body and offensive low post game. Not a raw beanpole.
I like Stewart alot too but he isn't a perfect fit for our system. Don't get me wrong I would love to have him. Then again we aren't getting him so none of this matters.

imo, in this day and age, it's smart to sell guys on playing their likely nba position
only qudus and jba are true centers. stewart and jones both would be playing the 4 at the next level and being recruited as a 5 is probably a negative. akok is a 3/4 no difference in jb's system but he projects to a 3 at the next level.

jb could easily fit 4 of these guys into the class - qudus & jba as centers, akok plus either of stewart/jones as forwards
Moqui, you are one of my favorites. But it’s not realistic to land four top 100 C/PF prospects in one class. There aren’t enough players to go around. Many programs are after these same guys, too, and all of them will be going different places. Ideally, I see us signing one center, one PF, and one SF (Guerrier) in this class, to go along with Goodine at guard. So it’ll probably be Qudus or Jones at center (where we need help right away), with Akok coming in at PF (hopefully). And yes, he could play SF too, if we don’t get Guerrier. You could argue, as some seem to be, that we could sign Jones at PF if we don’t get Akok, so I guess I could buy that.

I know we’re probably gonna lose four players after this season, but we’ll likely still return 3 very good forwards—Hughes, Marek, and Braswell. Realistically, there’s only room for one more at the inn. Two would be a coup. Top 100 kids want to play, not sit on the bench.

I am. Wondering if Akok waits to the second signing period and if we sign 1 of the four above plus QG and JGIII, will he still consider going to Syracuse?
Yes, I think so. Question is, will the staff wait around or move on? I think they’d wait. He’ll hopefully decide by November.

When you say top picks are you reading tea leaves on what the staff thinks or giving your opinion? I like Lester over Girard.

No, just giving my opinion. I used to go to the camps and have contacts, but it's been over a decade.

Moqui, you are one of my favorites. But it’s not realistic to land four top 100 C/PF prospects in one class. There aren’t enough players to go around. Many programs are after these same guys, too, and all of them will be going different places. Ideally, I see us signing one center, one PF, and one SF (Guerrier) in this class, to go along with Goodine at guard. So it’ll probably be Qudus or Jones at center (where we need help right away), with Akok coming in at PF (hopefully). And yes, he could play SF too, if we don’t get Guerrier. You could argue, as some seem to be, that we could sign Jones at PF if we don’t get Akok, so I guess I could buy that.

I know we’re probably gonna lose four players after this season, but we’ll likely still return 3 very good forwards—Hughes, Marek, and Braswell. Realistically, there’s only room for one more at the inn. Two would be a coup. Top 100 kids want to play, not sit on the bench.
i only named 3 because in my formulation we take jba as the 4th - a hedge against the other center leaving early (which is likely). and i don't think a trio of a center & 2 forwards is unlikely. i mean, we took bourama, oshae & marek last year and ignore the lack of rankings - in terms of talent that class would be roughly equivalent to any 2019 trio that didn't include stewart

Yes, I think so. Question is, will the staff wait around or move on? I think they’d wait. He’ll hopefully decide by November.
Don’t know. I think that depends on who they can sign in the early period. For example, if they sign Stewart and Girard, III do they need a Wahab or a Jones. If they sign an Akok Akok, do they need a Guerrier and vice a versa?

Personally, I thought a Guerrier and an Akok along with a Girard, III and a Wahab or a Jones along with Goodine would be a coup. Now, a Stewart, Girard III, an Akok or a Guerrier, and a Jones or a Wahab or a Cockburn plus Goodine might be the class one can hope for.

If we get a Stewart, I believe we still need a Center. Whatever we do in 2018-2019 will affect what we do in 2019-2020. For example, if we get an Akok and a Guerrier, we probably won’t be attractive to a Scottie Barnes. Having Girard III, Washington and Jalen Chaney probably won’t be attractive to an Addison Patterson and/or a Symir Torrence.

Whatever happens or whatever combination, Syracuse will supplement their team with the 1-2 or 3 recruits they will get in 2019-2020.

I like Stewart alot too but he isn't a perfect fit for our system. Don't get me wrong I would love to have him. Then again we aren't getting him so none of this matters.

SOBE - agree 100% and so do several others

Any volunteers to go check out our recruits the first week in November.

Jason Smith‏Verified account @BrewsterHoops 29m29 minutes ago
More

Pleased to announce Brewster Academy will begin 2018-19 season in Nassau, Bahamas
1f1e7-1f1f8.png
in the Caribbean Tip-Off Classic on November 2-4!