Class of 2019 - PF/C Kai Jones (NH/Brewster) to Texas | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF/C Kai Jones (NH/Brewster) to Texas

Believe that going into the summer, Cockburn was Plan A for a Center, Wahab was Plan B, Kai Jones became Plan C when he came around, Ajak was always Plan D and now Carrigan is Plan E. I agree that Jones and Carrigan are not bad plans all in all.

Jones is a 4 and caught fire over the summer. The fact that JB was at Brewster's first open gym and got Jones to cancel a visit to another school in order to visit last weekend speaks volumes. Jones played himself into Plan A.

Believe that going into the summer, Cockburn was Plan A for a Center, Wahab was Plan B, Kai Jones became Plan C when he came around, Ajak was always Plan D and now Carrigan is Plan E. I agree that Jones and Carrigan are not bad plans all in all.
the staff has been on jba longer than any of the other 5s and offered him first. they want him. he's not a plan d by any stretch of the imagination

JBA may very well end up being a good center, but to imply that he's an elite guy or a plan A or B target is IMO rationalizing at it's best. He's probably the most realistic of the centers we have to land because he's had a down year. Teams like Nova have moved on from him. He's not anywhere near as highly regarded as the other guys we are recruiting at center. The duration of the recruiting process doesn't necessarily mean he's a top target. He's simply not as in demand as he was because of poor play. JBA is fine to take along with another big. I love Kai, but he's rail thin and may need time to develop too. Would we possibly take JBA, Kai AND Carrigan?

Last edited:
the staff has been on jba longer than any of the other 5s and offered him first. they want him. he's not a plan d by any stretch of the imagination
I should have said at the beginning of the summer he was least regarded of the other center candidates. He had a poor season prior to the summer.

But if I am wrong, why did the staff track Cockburn, Wahab and Jones so closely this summer?

Cockburn has never been realistic 1st choice, i do not recall JB going to to see just him in NY.

This past summer JB was watching Akok, Quincy, Jon Bol, Kai and Wahab.

Wahab's primary contact either his coach or guardian is an unknown and they have played it very tight to the vest, visit went well, but no indications.

As we have mentioned several times, for whatever reason the C position is always the most difficult for us to recruit, pro style offense, best players control the ball, our pro-typical big-men are long, lean forwards between 6'8 and 6'11, usually a combo of great wingspan and/or athletic ability, Bourama is listed at 6'10 and 205 good example.

Cockburn and Wahab are more legacy center position (6"11 250 /6'11 and 235), this is not a sweet-spot for us, it is what it is.

Stewart and Bol are true forwards that would play the C slot.

Pascal was a transfer and the biggest guy we have had in years, we are on ESPN just about every game, Pascal not been a focus for us on offense nor capable), kids watch the games, he is listed at 228 pounds, but much longer at 7'2 and fits more of our profile.

Our 2nd biggest guy weight wise on the team this year is also a transfer and is 6'6 with Hughes at 2'15 pounds, meaning none of our big guys are above 210 pounds and this is our deepest team in many years.

I agree we do need guys that can bang the boards, we are never a good defensive rebounding team, which is a flaw of our roster and the zone, but it has not stopped us from success.

Anyway, it is frustrating for everyone.

I wonder if our difficulty recruiting centers stems from more than just our style of offense?

I wonder if seeing a guy like Rak (a 5 star guy) not develop until his senior year, and not stick in the NBA plays a role? Fab Melo and Dajuan Coleman are other examples. We've landed the 5 star centers. Should we be trying to land a big man coach? Would it be better for recruiting too? A center being coached by a guard, in an offense that doesn't utilize the center much, is a challenge that's hard to overcome in recruiting.

What can be done to change this?

I wonder if our difficulty recruiting centers stems from more than just our style of offense?

I wonder if seeing a guy like Rak (a 5 star guy) not develop until his senior year, and not stick in the NBA plays a role? Fab Melo and Dajuan Coleman are other examples. We've landed the 5 star centers. Should we be trying to land a big man coach? Would it be better for recruiting too? A center being coached by a guard, in an offense that doesn't utilize the center much, is a challenge that's hard to overcome in recruiting.

We are never going to be a throw the ball in the post team like Michigan State. The guards and Small forward run the show.

JB pushed for Anthony Davis and the likes. He’s pushing for Stewart. He would make sure the ball would be fed to those guys.

No kid remembers Onuaku, IMO. No bigs in the League. If a high school kid now was watching games starting with the Keita days; one would not be impressed. The thin beanpole centers just looks odd and coupled with the raw offensive skills; looks even more comical. There is the factor of being ok with playing all zone. The game is getting smaller with the Villanova/Golden St. model also requiring more guys on the floor who have diverse skill sets offensively.

Those are some deterrents and roadblocks to coming and playing C here. But, I have no doubt Boeheim would use and feed a talented 5* big who can score properly. Just gotta get one.

Last edited:
Cockburn has never been realistic 1st choice, i do not recall JB going to to see just him in NY.

This past summer JB was watching Akok, Quincy, Jon Bol, Kai and Wahab.

Wahab's primary contact either his coach or guardian is an unknown and they have played it very tight to the vest, visit went well, but no indications.

As we have mentioned several times, for whatever reason the C position is always the most difficult for us to recruit, pro style offense, best players control the ball, our pro-typical big-men are long, lean forwards between 6'8 and 6'11, usually a combo of great wingspan and/or athletic ability, Bourama is listed at 6'10 and 205 good example.

Cockburn and Wahab are more legacy center position (6"11 250 /6'11 and 235), this is not a sweet-spot for us, it is what it is.

Stewart and Bol are true forwards that would play the C slot.

Pascal was a transfer and the biggest guy we have had in years, we are on ESPN just about every game, Pascal not been a focus for us on offense nor capable), kids watch the games, he is listed at 228 pounds, but much longer at 7'2 and fits more of our profile.

Our 2nd biggest guy weight wise on the team this year is also a transfer and is 6'6 with Hughes at 2'15 pounds, meaning none of our big guys are above 210 pounds and this is our deepest team in many years.

I agree we do need guys that can bang the boards, we are never a good defensive rebounding team, which is a flaw of our roster and the zone, but it has not stopped us from success.

Anyway, it is frustrating for everyone.
Our D rebounding numbers are always a bit skewed, due to long rebounds from the number of 3 point shots we force.

But if I am wrong, why did the staff track Cockburn, Wahab and Jones so closely this summer?
i don't know but based on what i've seen & read, jones is primarily a forward & i believe they want 2 centers - one who might be a 1 or 2 and done and one who is a long term play

i don't know but based on what i've seen & read, jones is primarily a forward & i believe they want 2 centers - one who might be a 1 or 2 and done and one who is a long term play

That makes sense but that turns this into a 5 or 6 man class, and I don't think we've ever had one that big before (six).

That makes sense but that turns this into a 5 or 6 man class, and I don't think we've ever had one that big before (six).
we've done 5 before
the times are changing; you have to prepare for kids leaving early. a base of goodine/jgiii/jba sets you up long term and mitigates the pain when akok/quincy/kai all leave within 2 years

I’m guessing recruits don’t know Rak or Fab. Probably more concerned with who has made the NBA. I know nothing about recruiting but I’m guessing they just wonder if they will get the ball and want to go to a situation where the coaches convince them they are THE stud and they’ll help them get to their dream.

I’m guessing recruits don’t know Rak or Fab. Probably more concerned with who has made the NBA. I know nothing about recruiting but I’m guessing they just wonder if they will get the ball and want to go to a situation where the coaches convince them they are THE stud and they’ll help them get to their dream.
Fair take... but I wonder if the elite centers would prefer to be coached by a player that played the position, as opposed to a guard?

Fair take... but I wonder if the elite centers would prefer to be coached by a player that played the position, as opposed to a guard?
Did Pete Newell play the position?

Kai has a official with Texas this weekend and with Baylor after that with 1 more offical left I believe.

Not sure who this turdburglar is but he feels kai is a Texas lean.

Just my opinion but I think Kai goes somewhere other then cuse.

Kai "the Cobra" Jones is my number one recruiting priority... He's an outstanding defender, with a strong ofensive skill set. He could be an AA 4 at SU. With no insiders knowledge, I think he's ours if we can get a strong 5, which might signal to him that he will indeed be used as a 4 at SU. Can you recall SU bigs playing volleyball in the paint? Gotta believe HOF JAB will reel in Kai or Akok... the next couple years could be very special!