Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, but these are BS opinions.

It isn't difficult to figure out which posters to pay attention to when it comes to player assessments. I certainly understand viewing highlight film with skepticism, but again -- when you know which posters evaluate film objectively, then you can parcel out good info from the perspectives they share.

And in this case, there has been some great dialogue in this thread on Osun's capabilities. You are free to accept or disagree with those opinions, but don't label them as misinformed.

Also, I don't think that I've seen anybody claim that this guy was a blue chipper. I have however seen a lot of discussion on how the unusual circumstances of his recruiting scenario make him an atypical prospect to be available this late.
Im not even talking about Braswell its just the generalizations here after we miss out on plan A. Diamond in the rough and didn’t get much exposure is always mentioned even when it isn’t true.

Im not even talking about Braswell its just the generalizations here after we miss out on plan A. Diamond in the rough and didn’t get much exposure is always mentioned even when it isn’t true.
Damn people, trying to be positive!

All right, but let's break that down.
  • Bazley blindsides the coaching staff, and does something totally unprecedented by skipping college to go directly to the NBA
  • Right, wrong, or indifferent -- Matt Moyer [a part time starter last year at forward] opted to transfer
  • We were facing a situation where we only had two forwards on the roster, with an unproven commodity in Hughes who might [emphasis on might] be able to swing to 3 -- need depth
  • Braswell isn't highly recruited -- but he does have the following attributes
    • Requisite size for the zone
    • Length
    • Perimeter skills
    • Versatility as a passer
    • Shooting appears to be a strength
    • He's a two-time state champion high jumper, so we know he's athletic
  • Important things to keep in mind:
    • Braswell is not Bazley's replacement, essentially he is Moyer's replacement
    • At this stage of the game, there aren't a lot of prospects out there left who can play here -- outside of 5th year transfer options
    • He is emergency depth; meaning that if things unfold as many expect, he probably won't play much this year
    • What people ARE excited about is the athleticism / versatility / shooting -- those are nice tools to have in place as a foundation
    • Kid desperately needs to add size / weight / strength, BUT with the foundation described above -- he could be a steal in two years if he develops
Honestly, have you seen anybody in the Braswell thread talking about him contributing right away? Or expecting him to earn a spot in the rotation next season? What I HAVE seen is posters complimenting the staff for taking a guy with a high degree of upside, who MIGHT [emphasis on MIGHT] turn out to be a find down the road when his physical tools catch up to his skill level. We landed a guy who is a good fit for our system, who just needs to physically mature. Solid "get" in mid-May, after being blindsided by Bazley.

Kid is a player. Gmac found a gem. He will play and get significant minutes.

No offense, but these are BS opinions.

It isn't difficult to figure out which posters to pay attention to when it comes to player assessments. I certainly understand viewing highlight film with skepticism, but again -- when you know which posters evaluate film objectively, then you can parcel out good info from the perspectives they share.

And in this case, there has been some great dialogue in this thread on Osun's capabilities. You are free to accept or disagree with those opinions, but don't label them as misinformed.

Also, I don't think that I've seen anybody claim that this guy was a blue chipper. I have however seen a lot of discussion on how the unusual circumstances of his recruiting scenario make him an atypical prospect to be available this late.

Yeah, its a real BS opinion. I just clicked on a random page from the Matt Moyer recruiting thread. On pg 33 alone he is going to be our next CJ Fair, Kris Joseph, John Wallace, going to be a star, an underrated stud, etc... Go click on that thread and read a couple random pages and let me know how BS it is.

I understand that we might obtain what appears to be a functional big in May which is great news, especially considering we have 0 depth at Center right about now.

Yeah, its a real BS opinion. I just clicked on a random page from the Matt Moyer recruiting thread. On pg 33 alone he is going to be our next CJ Fair, Kris Joseph, John Wallace, going to be a star, an underrated stud, etc... Go click on that thread and read a couple random pages and let me know how BS it is.

I understand that we might obtain what appears to be a functional big in May which is great news, especially considering we have 0 depth at Center right about now.

Recruiting is an art and not a science. I admit to being in the camps of posters who were high on Matt and Kaleb Joseph. Didn't work out for those guys. On the other hand nobody here saw brissett or marek doing as well as they did as freshman. Those two more than made up for Matt not meeting expectations. Also, let's keep in mind Matt had a lot of injury issues that did not help his development, maybe if he was 100% healthy it would have evolved differently for him.

Bottom line, you never really know for sure until recruits actually step on the court at the ACC level competition.

Then you have the guys who struggle, but eventually pan out like frank Howard.

So, bottom line for me, I am not going to single anybody out, but there is only one player between the current roster and incoming commits who I am not sure will sooner or later help us out significantly, though in some cases it may take a year or two of development.

FWIW, I would have loved getting a player like Bras during the early signing period, to be able to land him now under the current circumstances is simply fantastic. I will also go out on a possible limb here and say that if circumstances are such that we need him for a bigger role than is anticipated, that he will perform adequately even as a frosh.

As for Osun, he, too, would be a great get at this stage of the cycle. Similar to Bras in terms of being an under the radar guy with upside. If we can get him, he should be able to fill in nicely if Sid still has health issues.

Last edited:
Whatever Osun and Braswell turn out to be, right now, I think they should be most viewed
as "stabilizing recruits", as I think SU just has to take a year or two to stabilize the program
after a) losing too many kids, b) not having the scholarships to build depth, and c) transfers
in to plug holes. I'd be happy with SU choosing the 1-and-dones, or four year kids, but trying
to straddle that with numbers restrictions wasn't good for the program. Both would/will fit
in fine, just as I think Moyer would have had he stayed, and anyone would benefit from Battle
returning. And going forward, they'll provide depth. Maybe they'll be stars, maybe not, but
they do offer bodies with skills who could stick around for awhile, and that's good for the
program.

I do chuckle a bit at the "hidden gem" description of Osun. He wasn't 'hidden', cuz obviously
LaSalle had him signed before G-Mac came along. Unavailable, sure; hidden, no.

Kev

Yes, it really is a BS opinion.

Just because some of you are ready to write a player off after one year, or label him a bust because he isn't a finished product after one year, or not an NBA prospect, doesn't make it so.

I stand by my earlier statement -- there is plenty of good recruiting info / discussion in these threads, take some time to figure out who to pay attention to [and who not to] -- it isn't hard.

Yes, it really is a BS opinion.

Just because some of you are ready to write a player off after one year, or label him a bust because he isn't a finished product after one year, or not an NBA prospect, doesn't make it so.

I stand by my earlier statement -- there is plenty of good recruiting info / discussion in these threads, take some time to figure out who to pay attention to [and who not to] -- it isn't hard.

Sometimes guys just don’t have the talent, it’s not really writing them off. Moyer may show someday that he does, but after 2 years in our system he doesn’t look much better than he was coming in.

I just went through the Moyer thread and 99% posted is crazy and almost unrealistic.

The kid was a miss, that’s it.

Sometimes guys just don’t have the talent, it’s not really writing them off. Moyer may show someday that he does, but after 2 years in our system he doesn’t look much better than he was coming in.

I just went through the Moyer thread and 99% posted is crazy and almost unrealistic.

The kid was a miss, that’s it.

How did Kris Joseph look after his first year? We had one poster famously declare that KJo didn't have the athleticism required to play at our level -- which seems laughable in retrospect. Was that "it?"

How did Scoop look as a freshman? How about Rak? Fab, after his debut campaign? Andy Rautins -- hell we had a poster declare before his SENIOR year that he was the worst scholarship guard in the JB era, prior to Rautins and the team having a phenomenal year and the poster disappearing forever. CJ couldn't shoot outside of 10 feet according to some posters after his freshman campaign. Was that "it" with them?

Moyer -- coming off an injury -- didn't have an impressive year. Like many frosh, he flashed at times and played poorly at other times. He also sustained a mid-season injury that was tough to overcome, let's keep that in perspective. Doesn't make him a "miss," it makes him a freshman who got injured.

How did Kris Joseph look after his first year? We had one poster famously declare that KJo didn't have the athleticism required to play at our level -- which seems laughable in retrospect. Was that "it?"

How did Scoop look as a freshman? How about Rak? Fab, after his debut campaign? Andy Rautins -- hell we had a poster declare before his SENIOR year that he was the worst scholarship guard in the JB era, prior to Rautins and the team having a phenomenal year and the poster disappearing forever. CJ couldn't shoot outside of 10 feet according to some posters after his freshman campaign. Was that "it" with them?

Moyer -- coming off an injury -- didn't have an impressive year. Like many frosh, he flashed at times and played poorly at other times. He also sustained a mid-season injury that was tough to overcome, let's keep that in perspective. Doesn't make him a "miss," it makes him a freshman who got injured.

So Moyers issues were strictly because he was injured? No way.

I’m not saying he couldn’t be better but when people are calling you the next John Wallace and Kris Joseph, it seems dumb.

I’m not saying he couldn’t be better but when people are calling you the next John Wallace and Kris Joseph, it seems dumb.

Moyer's issues were due to being an inexperienced, physically underdeveloped frosh. The injury only made things worse and prevented him from bouncing back in any meaningful capacity. As a funny comparison, many posters were bitching about how much of a waste of a scholarship Marek was after that lousy late BC outing, and then he puts it together in the postseason, and now he's a stud. For all but the elite talents, it seems like the forum determination of a player's value is a wind sock that changes day-by-day.

And way to cherry pick examples. Others pragmatically compared him to Ryan Blackwell, due to lack of explosiveness. There was also discussion you are conveniently overlooking about whether he was really a 3 vs. a 4, due to his strengths. Again, there's good info there if you know how to filter out some of it and what to pay attention to.

I still remember Matt's hs vids. He looked like he knew how to finish near the basket, never showed any semblance of an outside game or a handle, but he looked like he could be a glass eater who could power it in when near the basket. He looked smooth doing what he did, that is why i was high on him. Never thought he had the same game as KJO & certainly not the same game as JW, but that did not mean he could not be a nice player.

i still remember one kid we had who could not hit the broad side of a barn with his shot, had a so-so handle, and did not even have size, and yet he was one of our best ever.......Stevie Thompson. Kid just was magic near the hoop. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say matt was even remotely close to Stevie, but it does go to show that players can be very effective even with outside of the box skillsets.

We will never know if the injuries prevented him from being that same player physically and/or mentally, but when he did play last season he looked very tentative, showed few scoring skills beyond open dunks, and frankly, he looked a bit klutzy to me. He is no longer with us, but we will see if he can re-capture his mojo @ vanderbilt. Nice kid, i hope he can find success there, but right now, i take Bras over him in a heartbeat.

I will add that I think a broad cross section of the SU community here is underestimating what MM could have been. He had ups and downs as do virtually all first year players. I still think he had a lot of potential and could have been a very solid long term player for us.

Whatever Osun and Braswell turn out to be, right now, I think they should be most viewed
as "stabilizing recruits", as I think SU just has to take a year or two to stabilize the program
after a) losing too many kids, b) not having the scholarships to build depth, and c) transfers
in to plug holes. I'd be happy with SU choosing the 1-and-dones, or four year kids, but trying
to straddle that with numbers restrictions wasn't good for the program. Both would/will fit
in fine, just as I think Moyer would have had he stayed, and anyone would benefit from Battle
returning. And going forward, they'll provide depth. Maybe they'll be stars, maybe not, but
they do offer bodies with skills who could stick around for awhile, and that's good for the
program.

I do chuckle a bit at the "hidden gem" description of Osun. He wasn't 'hidden', cuz obviously
LaSalle had him signed before G-Mac came along. Unavailable, sure; hidden, no.

Kev
I'm excited about the possibility of Osun signing on because 1) at one time I had accidentally convinced multiple posters that he was literally dead so signing him makes for a real comeback story, but 2) my expectations for depth are so ludicrously low that he helps meet my expectations. I don't even think about guys playing as indicative of depth, because Boeheim do what he do. Rather, if I can look at the roster and envision scholarship players (walk-ons that are given a scholarship don't count) practicing 5 on 5, all healthy, and nobody horribly out of position, I feel like we're sitting pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.