Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if he has a visit planned with Maryland? Any chance he makes a decision tomorrow?

We need him . Our center position is unstable with foul trouble, injuries and uncertain lack of depth.

Sometimes guys just don’t have the talent, it’s not really writing them off. Moyer may show someday that he does, but after 2 years in our system he doesn’t look much better than he was coming in.

I just went through the Moyer thread and 99% posted is crazy and almost unrealistic.

The kid was a miss, that’s it.

How did Kris Joseph look after his first year? We had one poster famously declare that KJo didn't have the athleticism required to play at our level -- which seems laughable in retrospect. Was that "it?"

How did Scoop look as a freshman? How about Rak? Fab, after his debut campaign? Andy Rautins -- hell we had a poster declare before his SENIOR year that he was the worst scholarship guard in the JB era, prior to Rautins and the team having a phenomenal year and the poster disappearing forever. CJ couldn't shoot outside of 10 feet according to some posters after his freshman campaign. Was that "it" with them?

Moyer -- coming off an injury -- didn't have an impressive year. Like many frosh, he flashed at times and played poorly at other times. He also sustained a mid-season injury that was tough to overcome, let's keep that in perspective. Doesn't make him a "miss," it makes him a freshman who got injured.

I'll try to bring this back to Osun in a second here, but the reason you two are at odds is that you're sort of arguing two different points -- both of which are largely correct. We are diehard fans who post on message boards -- reason and measured commentary isn't our strong suit, but it doesn't rule out the fact that there is some pretty solid discussion of recruits on here.

But, to try and bring it back to the topic, generally, there are a couple of points worth making.

1. Player comps suck. I don't mind that we engage in trying to comp recruits to current or past players but it's pretty rare that the comps actually play out with much accuracy. Fun exercise and there's usually some sort of comparison, but ultimately it's a fool's errand.

2. Patience is a virtue. Three- or four-year players are valuable in almost any form. Moyer was what he was -- he happens to be a kid I was never particularly high on based on recruiting film or preseason workout clips, etc. But to think he couldn't have contributed to a winning team the next few seasons feels wrong to me. I'm pretty sure people here felt Cooney wasn't good enough to play at this level for long stretches of his four years (post-redshirt) and he had some not great moment for sure. But, and I feel it's often forgotten when talking about that '15-'16 final four run, Cooney put up 14 ppg, 3.5 rebounds a game, 2 assists, 2 steals and just 1 TO a game while shooting around 48% from three. Point being that guys who look out of place as young player can often fill key roles as veterans ... even if they are never going to be mentioned in the same breath as the Melo's and DC's of the world.

3. I hope the staff is working on adjustments in how developmental recruits are handled. Far too often we have seen kids with some redeemable skills leave for other destinations. Maybe Howard Washington, Moyer, Braswell and Osun -- if he signs -- will never or would never have become 40 mpg type guys for us. But keeping these kids on campus and happy is a good thing for this program. CArolina and Nova have crushed it with these types of players for the past several years. ND does a good job of this too. We need to reduce the turnover and work with these kids to get them to the point where they can become key contributors while providing some decent depth along that journey.

All of the above said, I like Osun. think he could be a really solid player. Hope we grab him.

Andrew Slater on 2 4 7 predicted this morning Osun to the Bonnie’s. He gotten one recent SU recruitment wrong. Let’s hope he gets another wrong!

That would be a discouraging outcome, after what we're hearing about his visit to SU [not shooting the messenger -- thanks for the update].

That would be a discouraging outcome, after what we're hearing about his visit to SU [not shooting the messenger -- thanks for the update].

Maybe I missed it. What have we heard about his visit? I listened to Waters' podcast, didn't say much really.

Andrew Slater on 2 4 7 predicted this morning Osun to the Bonnie’s. He gotten one recent SU recruitment wrong. Let’s hope he gets another wrong!

Immediate PT. It’s how some kids roll, although I thought it would be GTown. But Slaters been wrong before, so we’ll see.

I get that, but at the end of the day it's still a lateral move.

Lateral yes. But one of those schools lost their HC.

Lateral yes. But one of those schools lost their HC.
I just figured given the improvements he's made since committing to LaSalle, he would aim higher. And like you said, maybe that's Georgetown.

Losing a recruit to St. Bonnies...hmmm
Haven't lost him yet and lets face it, if he has an opportunity to play immediately, can you blame him? Don't misunderstand, I love his potential and would love to have him. I think he could help us.

Thought it was 50-50 before... think it might be more 40-60 against us but quite frankly, who knows.

Haven't lost him yet and lets face it, if he has an opportunity to play immediately, can you blame him? Don't misunderstand, I love his potential and would love to have him. I think he could help us.

If Sidibe can't play who is going to play center? A kid needs to understand he wont be starting right away unless he is a superstar. These kids need to check their egos.

If Sidibe can't play who is going to play center? A kid needs to understand he wont be starting right away unless he is a superstar. These kids need to check their egos.
I want him to come here. I have the same concerns as you. Just trying to look at both sides as objectively as I can.

oh no, Andrew Slater, man of wisdom, picked him to go to the Bonnies, whatever will we do now, it's over!

Thought it was 50-50 before... think it might be more 40-60 against us but quite frankly, who knows.
Slater is more recent. But it's one guy saying 'cuse and the other saying bonnies.

Slater is more recent. But it's one guy saying 'cuse and the other saying bonnies.

Good post -- agree 100%. As we saw with Golden, these crystal ball forecasts are just these guys guessing from reading the tea leaves. Sometimes they guess correctly, sometimes they don't -- but nothing to get too worked up over.

Have a question in regards to the Georgetown stuff on here from a lot of people. Does anyone under 35 care about Georgetown at all? I think I just missed out on the Georgetown bball and Penn State football stuff growing up and don't care about them anymore than other teams. Louisville and Pitt are the 2 teams that I really hate in bball and Rutgers in football.
Chugg, I understand your perspective (before your time). And I don't want to sound patronizing. But put it this way: I'd be happy - as I suspect many posters would - to fill you in on a few choice GT stories that would definitely convey the flavor of the rivalry. But only if you're interested and Orange79 won't ban me for life.

Chugg, I understand your perspective (before your time). And I don't want to sound patronizing. But put it this way: I'd be happy - as I suspect many posters would - to fill you in on a few choice GT stories that would definitely convey the flavor of the rivalry. But only if you're interested and Orange79 won't ban me for life.
yMCtqEW.jpg

:D Go for it. But not in this thread.

:D Go for it. But not in this thread.
lol. Not sure if he's interested. I was going to start out with the story of how Horace Broadnax kneed Andre Hawkins in the groin.

And if Sidibe is 100% he won’t play this year and would be Sidibe’s back up for 2 years after. Imo, if Sidibe remains 100% he could be a 30mpg player. Curious as to what JB told OO as to his plans for the kid.

And if Sidibe is 100% he won’t play this year and would be Sidibe’s back up for 2 years after. Imo, if Sidibe remains 100% he could be a 30mpg player. Curious as to what JB told OO as to his plans for the kid.

I think Osunniyi might be able to play the 4, a la Christmas.

Let’s not get carried away. He hasn’t made a decision yet and could still pick us.

Status
Not open for further replies.